cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2008, 02:22 AM   #11
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I agree with your last paragraph.

I was just shocked that what I saw tonight might be what we generally try to do on any given night. From what I understand you to be saying, it is NOT. I dont know what TP's reluctance was on offense. He could have had his way. I did notice that he was a bit cold in the first few minutes of the first half. I wonder if he got into his own head.
Plaisted's biggest problem, IMO, is that he is a wuss. He's a helluva player when he doesn't have to be physical in order to use his height to his advantage.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:02 AM   #12
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Plaisted's biggest problem, IMO, is that he is a wuss. He's a helluva player when he doesn't have to be physical in order to use his height to his advantage.
Once again I'm forced to raid the kids' college fund bank account and send along some under the table dough to finance a trip to Pete Newell's big man camp. It may be the most effective training for 1s and 2s in the world. Araujo attended between his junior and senior years and the improvement was noticeable. I like Trent but he could use Pete's help.

Interestingly, the camp this year will be conducted at the T&M, which may be cathartic, or send Trent into 'Nam-style flashbacks.

http://www.petenewellbigmancamp.net/
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:10 AM   #13
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
Once again I'm forced to raid the kids' college fund bank account and send along some under the table dough to finance a trip to Pete Newell's big man camp. It may be the most effective training for 1s and 2s in the world. Araujo attended between his junior and senior years and the improvement was noticeable. I like Trent but he could use Pete's help.

Interestingly, the camp this year will be conducted at the T&M, which may be cathartic, or send Trent into 'Nam-style flashbacks.

http://www.petenewellbigmancamp.net/
I think that money would be better spent if you'd like to be a sponsor for little league baseball in my area. I'll put a big vinyl sign on the outfield fence - right between my wife's family's mortuary sign and the sign from a local big and tall store.

Either that or because the painted lane is Plaisted's kryptonite.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:19 AM   #14
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I think that money would be better spent if you'd like to be a sponsor for little league baseball in my area. I'll put a big vinyl sign on the outfield fence - right between my wife's family's mortuary sign and the sign from a local big and tall store.

Either that or because the painted lane is Plaisted's kryptonite.
Well, because I love Little League I may go for this. But I'll withhold a portion of the funds I'd shift from Pete Newell to your LL District and buy Trent a ticket to the Dallas [what halftime FT shooter's last name?] Free Throw Clinic. Dude was nails, hitting 4-for-4 with 66 grand on the line. He's a Y fan so I suspect he'll give me a break on Trent's tuition.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 03:27 AM   #15
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
Well, because I love Little League I may go for this. But I'll withhold a portion of the funds I'd shift from Pete Newell to your LL District and buy Trent a ticket to the Dallas [what halftime FT shooter's last name?] Free Throw Clinic. Dude was nails, hitting 4-for-4 with 66 grand on the line. He's a Y fan so I suspect he'll give me a break on Trent's tuition.
I'm just looking to help you save money. I'd even give you a bit of a break because folks would see the sign and ask me what the heck that was all about - unless you have an office somewhere in Murray that I don't know about.

I fill my car up at the Phillips 66 close to my house. I saw the entry forms to win a chance to shoot free throws, but never filled any out. My loss.

The guy had ice in the veins, eh?

Old 03-16-2008, 04:17 AM   #16
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Frankly, if we can't beat them on their floor, screw us. They outplayed us and I think Kruger did an excellent coaching job. Didn't help that Wink became freak at the end of the game.

We had plenty of fans there and even the mo in the first half. Gotta sustain that.
It's not just fans that make a home court advantage. Hello..?!

Let's have the tourney in the Marriott Center and BYU will win it every year also. I'm sorry, but it is a freaking JOKE that it's at the T&M every year.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 04:20 AM   #17
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Plaisted's biggest problem, IMO, is that he is a wuss.
No argument here! Could you ever imagine him taking it to the hole, and dunking it like Collinsworth did? TP is so soft, it is sickening.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:13 PM   #18
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I am a bit confused. Perhaps someone can help me out here, since I rarely get to see BYU basketball games.

Is what we saw tonight pretty exemplary of Rose's offensive schemes? Specifically, when we play TP and Leethiopia, we have a distinct height advantage. In the case of TP, we had height and muscle.

Is it pretty common for those guys to simply roam around the perimeter rather than get set up and demand the ball down low?

I think I can count on one hand the number of times the entire game where we made a concerted effort to run a play where our big guy gets set up on one of the blocks and waits for the pass. Late in the game, TP had a little bit of success working it inside, but we never really seemed to try to establish an inside game at all.

Tonight was like the tryouts for the Rex Chapman All-Stars. Loads of 3s or outside jumpers.
Ideally, BYU's options (and the way they play at home) are as follows:

1. Score in transition.
2. When the transition game fails, work the post & re-post, taking the open three.

In both cases, BYU's awfully good. However, there's some things the opposing team can do (and UNLV is awfully good at when they play at home) to negate this:

1. Make BYU run their offense from 25+ feet instead of 22. If you make BYU run their offense just a little further out, they can't make the post pass into Trent at 8 feet or the ball will be stolen every time. Trent has to move out to 12 feet to accept the pass. At 12 feet, Trent doesn't draw a double-team, making their inside-out game far less effective.
2. Limit running opportunities. Make your shots (44% for UNLV in 2nd half), and don't turn the ball over (7 turnovers).

The game likely would have ended up being very close, and BYU may even have managed to pull out a victory...but not when Wink suddenly caught fire and scored 12 points in 3 minutes.

Even then, if BYU hit their season average for 3's in the second half, I think they win. They were 1-10 in the second half. Hit three more threes in there, and BYU has the lead with three minutes left, and it's a very different game.
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:26 PM   #19
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

My memory fails me here ... didn't they rotate it out to Denver for a spell, and everyone hated it?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:12 PM   #20
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
My memory fails me here ... didn't they rotate it out to Denver for a spell, and everyone hated it?
Yep.

Ideally, they will hold it at a neutral location in Vegas. There'll still be issues, but they should be lessened considerably.

It'll be at the T&M at least through 2010, which is when the current contract is up.
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote