cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who is the worst U.S. President ever?
George W. Bush 7 21.88%
Nixon 3 9.38%
Carter 12 37.50%
Harding 5 15.63%
Grant 2 6.25%
Coolidge 1 3.13%
Polk 0 0%
Johnson 0 0%
Clinton 2 6.25%
Wilson 0 0%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-21-2007, 02:59 PM   #81
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Truman reminds me of our current President.
I know our current president invoked Truman as precedent for his imperialist adventure in Iraq. Iraq, needless to say, is not post-WWII Germany or Japan, nor is Bush Truman just because he wishes it were so. I know Truman, Truman is a friend of mine, and GWB is not Truman. Maybe most important, Bush's cabinet has been no match for Truman's.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:22 PM   #82
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Speaking as someone who was around during the Truman Presidency, he was not a good President.

If you had been there you would have realized his popularity rating was very low and a Republican was elected in the next election.

What more do you need to realize he was a lousy President.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:25 PM   #83
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Speaking as someone who was around during the Truman Presidency, he was not a good President.

If you had been there you would have realized his popularity rating was very low and a Republican was elected in the next election.

You were there, but what were you two?

We tease you for being old, but you aren't that old. I can believe you remember Ike, but not Truman.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:26 PM   #84
SeattleUte

Quote:

Uh, the passage of sixty some years of history and added perspective?

Like I said, all old Mormons hate Truman. My parents, who are of your generation, do as well. So added to lack of historical perspective during Truman's second term you have an inherently insular perspective under the best of circumstances.

—Paul Auster
Old 06-21-2007, 03:29 PM   #85
SeattleUte

Churchill lost his election following WWII. Does that mean he was a bad primer minister?

I think BYU71 was being ironic trying to make a point in Bush's favor. I'm a little slow this morning.

—Paul Auster
Old 06-21-2007, 03:30 PM   #86
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Uh, the passage of sixty some years of history and added perspective?

Like I said, all old Mormons hate Truman. My parents, who are of your generation, do as well. So added to lack of historical perspective during Truman's second term you have an inherently insular perspective under the best of circumstances.
The Utah card, use that one whenever in doubt. It's an oldy but a goody. At least you modified with the adjective "old", of course nobody ever insults 71 with that description.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:33 PM   #87
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

At least you did catch on. My folks loved Truman. Of course they loved any Democrat. I think you are wrong about Mormons and democrats.

I remember whistling a clever tune when I was young. Whistle while you work, Stevenson's a jerk, Eisenhower has the power to make this Country work. I got such a serious chastising and that is why that memory is so clear in my mind.

I was a die hard Dem. until I went on my mission. It had nothing to do with my being a mormon. It had to do with the times, the 60's and I just found I wasn't part of the hippie, anti war, burn the cities, culture.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:44 PM   #88
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I remember whistling a clever tune when I was young. Whistle while you work, Stevenson's a jerk, Eisenhower has the power to make this Country work. I got such a serious chastising and that is why that memory is so clear in my mind.
My grandmother taught me a version of that tune:

Whistle while you work,
Hitler is a jerk,
Mussolini is a weanie,
Whistle while you work.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:08 PM   #89
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I know our current president invoked Truman as precedent for his imperialist adventure in Iraq. Iraq, needless to say, is not post-WWII Germany or Japan, nor is Bush Truman just because he wishes it were so. I know Truman, Truman is a friend of mine, and GWB is not Truman. Maybe most important, Bush's cabinet has been no match for Truman's.
Interestingly I agree with one thing here: for as highly touted at the President's cabinet was it has been a dissapointment, at least to me. I was sold on the idea that "even if W. isn't smart, he has surrounded himself with smart people."

I think when you are the executive you have to be ready to cut people lose, and anyone who is a political appointment has to understand that they may get axed. Even if its just to mix things up. Even if it is just to help your polls numbers. W should have let Rumsfeld go long ago, same with Gonzalez, if for no other reason than to make them non-issues. He is loyal, I'll give him that.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:22 PM   #90
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
"even if W. isn't smart, he has surrounded himself with smart people."
I sure hope we have now put that foolish notion far behind us. We should have the highest expectations of the person holding the most powerful office in the world.