cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2008, 01:50 PM   #81
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
The script is technically true, but misleading. Unfortunately for the church, well-informed people won't fall for the points of the script. Fortunately for the church, there aren't tons of well-informed people on those issues.
What a sad and ironic statement.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:41 PM   #82
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
Funny how some members have such a difficult time taking the Church leaders at their word when they express tolerance for mild and respectful dissent within the ranks. Most of said members are current or future Bishops and Stake Presidents.
I suspect that, for the most part, General Authorities aren't nearly as judgmental as are some of the people on CB. GA's don't want to cultivate disagreement, but I don't hear any GA demanding that members "agree with everything I say or get out!" or "If you don't agree with everything I say or don't do what I tell you, you aren't sustaining me!"

There are some real jackals on CB. Maybe, over time, life will knock some of that self-righteous indignation off of them.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:34 PM   #83
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default So you disagree with the 1st Presidency

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
I haven't even taken a stand against Prop. 8, but after saying nice (and accurate) things about my BIL, Morris Thurston, I was informed by one mullah that I would have to choose between the Church and my BIL.

I'm thinking, I'm thinking....
on this issue?
Old 10-30-2008, 06:13 PM   #84
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
on this issue?
Once again you are hard to understand because of your insistence of using the subject line, but I think I got the gist of your question.

Yes I do disagree with the first presidency on this issue. The first presidency are men and are not infallible. I believe that they are wrong in this instance. When I contemplate the idea of prop 8 passing and pray about whether I should support it, it makes me physically ill and I have no burning of the bosom so to speak. I cannot deny it. I am sure you will say I am possessed by Satan or some such thing. Maybe you will say that I am spiritually misguided, but I will have to disagree. I must stay true to those spiritual feelings that I have. They have served me well throughout my life.

Now go and chuckle to yourself and others about how misguided I am, I really don't care.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:14 PM   #85
Gidget

Gidget is on a distinguished road

Who was this Mullah? Do tell . . . .
I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PaloAltoCougar
Gidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:14 PM   #86
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
[First part of question omitted because author persists in typing first portion of each message in the title line, obviously relishing his board status as the annoying Chihuahua in the neighbor's backyard] on this issue?
If "not taking a stand" is "disagreeing", then I guess I am. My local leaders are okay with this.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:16 PM   #87
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
If "not taking a stand" is "disagreeing", then I guess I am. My local leaders are okay with this.
you play so nicely with Exie, why is that?

Choose ye this whom ye shall serve, but as for me and my house, we shall serve Prop 8 or not.
Old 10-30-2008, 06:17 PM   #88
Gidget

Yeah what's up with that ExUte? I am with PaloAltoCoug on this one, it is really annoying.
I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory. - PaloAltoCougar
Old 10-30-2008, 06:40 PM   #89
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
You play so nicely with Exie, why is that?
With MikeWaters as our father, brothers all are we.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Choose ye this whom ye shall serve, but as for me and my house, we shall serve Prop 8 or not.
Despite the admonition that we be hot or cold, I've always been big on room temperature. Plus, I still sing lustily the German hymn "Maessigkeit." Now, if I could only figure out how to type an umlaut and an eszett I'd be very happy. I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:44 PM   #90
Gidget

Quote:
I am a philosophical Goldilocks, always looking for something neither too big nor too small, neither too hot nor too cold, something jussssst right. I'll send you a card from purgatory.
Hilarious.