cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2008, 01:04 AM   #61
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ryan View Post
So in your warped world if people aren't forced to work at a place then the employers has every right to treat them like shit.

What an evil outlook you have
If by "treat them like shit" you mean "offer employment that will be appealling to thousands upon thousands of workers while simultaneously positioning Walmart to outperform its competion", then yes.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:13 AM   #62
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Frank Ryan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly Wolly View Post
If by "treat them like shit" you mean "offer employment that will be appealling to thousands upon thousands of workers while simultaneously positioning Walmart to outperform its competion", then yes.
You make it sound like a regular garden of eden for workers. by "treating them like shit", i mean forcing them to work off the clock, large-scale gender discrimination, firing them for exercising the legal right to organize(which is their right whether you, exute or others like it or not) and continually scaling back on employee benefits.

-- Ken Loach
Frank Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 01:24 AM   #63
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Within a five minute drive from my house we have a Super Wal-Mart, Kroger, Target and Meijer. All of them have their advantages. When we want food where quality is essential, like produce or meat, we go to Kroger or Meijer. Where quality is independent of the store, like with boxed goods, we usually go to Wal-Mart for the price advantage. When I want popcorn to snack on while I shop, we go to Target.
How can you in the midwest not be going to Aldi http://www.aldifoods.com/index_ENU_HTML.htm

Its got better prices than walmart.... Sure their selection might not be stellar but for 80% of what you need Aldi is the place.
Old 08-24-2008, 01:33 AM   #64
Colly Wolly

Quote:
You make it sound like a regular garden of eden for workers. by "treating them like shit", i mean forcing them to work off the clock, large-scale gender discrimination, firing them for exercising the legal right to organize(which is their right whether you, exute or others like it or not) and continually scaling back on employee benefits.
If Walmart is such a shitty employer, why do they have so many employees?
Old 08-24-2008, 01:58 AM   #65
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Quote:
If Walmart is such a shitty employer, why do they have so many employees?
because they make a lot of money.

if they are such an amazing employer why do the have super high turnover?

-- Ken Loach
Old 08-24-2008, 02:08 AM   #66
Colly Wolly

Quote:
because they make a lot of money.

if they are such an amazing employer why do the have super high turnover?
First part of the answer doesn't make much sense to me. They have a high net income so they have alot of employees? How does that benefit employees such that they would wish to seek employment or stay working there?

They have alot of employees because alot of people want to work there.

If they have high turnover, then it's their own reward for being a shitty employer and they have to deal with the consequences. When it gets so shitty that the turnover starts having an impact on the bottom line, they'll have to change or go out of business. So why not let Walmart and the people who want to work there alone and leave them to sort it out?
Old 08-24-2008, 02:21 AM   #67
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Quote:
First part of the answer doesn't make much sense to me. They have a high net income so they have alot of employees? How does that benefit employees such that they would wish to seek employment or stay working there?

They have alot of employees because alot of people want to work there.

If they have high turnover, then it's their own reward for being a shitty employer and they have to deal with the consequences. When it gets so shitty that the turnover starts having an impact on the bottom line, they'll have to change or go out of business. So why not let Walmart and the people who want to work there alone and leave them to sort it out?
they have a massive operation that requires a lot of employees. also, they have driven a lot of their competition into the ground. there are only so many places an unskilled laborer can work.

people work there because they don't many options not because it is wonderful.

i do leave wal-mart alone, i don't shop there.

-- Ken Loach

Last edited by Frank Ryan; 08-24-2008 at 02:25 AM.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:26 AM   #68
Colly Wolly

Quote:
they have a massive operation that requires a lot of employees. also, they have also driven a lot of their competition into the ground. there are only so many places an unskilled laborer can work.

people work there because they don't many options not because it is wonderful.

i do leave wal-mart alone, i don't shop there.
Why are they unskilled and without options?

You leave walmart alone like Seattle Ute leaves the church alone.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:27 AM   #69
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Quote:
Why are they unskilled and without options?

You leave walmart alone like Seattle Ute leaves the church alone.
why do feel the need to defend everything wal-mart does?

i didn't start this thread i just chimed on the hagiographical love fest people were having about the store

-- Ken Loach

Last edited by Frank Ryan; 08-24-2008 at 02:32 AM.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:36 AM   #70
Colly Wolly

Quote:
why do feel the need to defend everything wal-mart does?

i didn't start this thread i just chimed on your hagiographical love fest people were having about the store
Sorry if you felt like I was attacking you personally, that wasn't my attention. Walmart is not perfect, but they do a damn good job of what corporations are supposed to do - make money. Their monetary success (within the bounds of the law) in and of itself validates their operation.

The criticism I read and hear about Walmart sounds like it comes straight out of the rhetoric of the moochers and looters in Atlas Shrugged.

I spent $160 dollars at Walmart today. I am pleased with my shopping experience.