cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2007, 03:24 AM   #1
FMCoug

FMCoug
Default So I started to put the pool to good use

Since most of you know how pathetically out of shape / obese I am, it might surprise you to know I was an athlete in HS. Swimming and water polo. I've tried the treadmill and walking outside, etc. and just can't get into it. So now that the pool is in I've started swimming laps. It's about 50' or maybe a bit more at the longest point so I can swim a fairly decent lap before turning around. I'm pathetically out of shape (to the point I have to rest for a minute or so ever 4 laps) but it's good to be doing something.

No particular reason for this post other than to commit to a workout regimen semi-publically.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:45 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I met a guy from one of these boards. Normal-sized. Maybe could stand to lose 20lb or so. Come to find out he had had gastric bypass a couple years earlier. It was kind of weird, because I tried to imagine him grossly obese as he was before.

Now I am trying to figure out what the dolphin FMCoug looks like. (not that you are grossly obese, just packing a few extra lb).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 04:35 PM   #3
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
(not that you are grossly obese, just packing a few extra lb).
I am grossly obese. By the charts I need to lose 100 lbs. By any measure that is grossly obese. Regarding the dolphin FMCoug, there was a summer when I was about 15 that I would ride my bike 5 miles to swim practice in the morning, workout for 2 hours, then ride my bike to work another 10 miles, work all day, ride the 10 miles back to afternoon swim pracice for another workout, then ride the 5 miles back home. Oh and sometimes after the afternoon workout we'd play water polo for fun.

Pretty sad to look at me now, huh?

Last edited by FMCoug; 07-04-2007 at 04:39 PM.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:38 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
I am grossly obese. By the charts I need to lose 100 lbs. By any measure that is grossly obese.
don't eat out.

have the wife fix healthier meals.

focus on only eating when hungry, and then not eating too much.

a little bit of exercise.

these four things will help a ton.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 04:56 PM   #5
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
I am grossly obese. By the charts I need to lose 100 lbs. By any measure that is grossly obese. Regarding the dolphin FMCoug, there was a summer when I was about 15 that I would ride my bike 5 miles to swim practice in the morning, workout for 2 hours, then ride my bike to work another 10 miles, work all day, ride the 10 miles back to afternoon swim pracice for another workout, then ride the 5 miles back home. Oh and sometimes after the afternoon workout we'd play water polo for fun.

Pretty sad to look at me now, huh?
What were your swim events?

How does a person who once was fit allow himself to become way out of shape?

Does it affect you psychologically? The reason I state this, is I believe if I missed more than two or three days without doing something I'd go bananas. What does a person do with his mornings if he's not exercising?
Old 07-04-2007, 05:03 PM   #6
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
What were your swim events?

How does a person who once was fit allow himself to become way out of shape?

Does it affect you psychologically? The reason I state this, is I believe if I missed more than two or three days without doing something I'd go bananas. What does a person do with his mornings if he's not exercising?
I was basically a sprinter. 50 and 100 free and fly. 200 IM. I was never very fast (high 50's in the 100 free) but I enjoyed it. And I did have the honor of getting smoked by Matt Biondi in a qualifying heat once. I think he was like 14 and I was a senior or something like that.

In terms of how did I get out of shape? I suspect my story is not too uncommon for HS athletes, particular ones in a sport where you work out as hard /burn as many calories as swimming. Combine a teenage boy's metabolism with that kind of working out and I developed some VERY bad eating habits. I basically ate anything I wanted to and it didn't matter. After HS, I went straight to work in a sedentary job (Sales) and then on my mission I was in a car all but one month of my mission. And 6 months of that was in the office. I put on about 30 lbs. on my mission, dropped a few my first year back. But then after marriage and I got out of school, traveling all the time, eating badly, etc. Needless to say not something I'm proud of.