cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2008, 09:39 PM   #31
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Again, not addressing the issue, but rather sidestepping and saying something else that, truthfully, has nothing to do with anything.
While I'm amused by Triplet's attempt to make this about him, if we could get back to the point here ...

Cardiac, I understand that gays are upset. If I were a homosexual who wanted gay marriage legitimized, I would be upset too. Except for a few jerks here on CG, I legitimately don't enjoy pissing people off.

But just because they're angry doesn't mean they're right. And just because I disagree with them doesn't mean I'm a bigot. That's the underlying thread through all the discussions on this topic I've had with folks on your side. You simply can't stomach the idea that any rational, compassionate, intelligent, non-bigoted person could possibly be against it. So to fill this cognitive vacuum, you deduce that we are all less rational, less compassionate, less intelligent, and/or more bigoted than you.

It's a nice fantasy, I suppose, but it doesn't reflect reality.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 11-11-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:50 PM   #32
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Straw is what the foundation of CG is constructed on.
Tex, whether you like it or not, you are Cougarguard.

Accept it. Embrace it.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:02 PM   #33
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
While I'm amused by Triplet's attempt to make this about him, if we could get back to the point here ...

Cardiac, I understand that gays are upset. If I were a homosexual who wanted gay marriage legitimized, I would be upset too. Except for a few jerks here on CG, I legitimately don't enjoy pissing people off.

But just because they're angry doesn't mean they're right. And just because I disagree with them doesn't mean I'm a bigot. That's the underlying thread through all the discussions on this topic I've had with folks on your side. You simply can't stomach the idea that any rational, compassionate, intelligent, non-bigoted person could possibly be against it. So to fill this cognitive vacuum, you deduce that we are all less rational, less compassionate, less intelligent, and or more bigoted than you.

If the yes folks simply said, "I voted yes because I believe God has commanded me to do so" I would have less problem with it. Personally, I think they are wrong, but I believe in the religious freedoms upon which our country was founded.

What is troubling is that when people try and put forth "rational", "intelligent", and "compassionate" reasons for banning gay marriage they actually expose their irrational, non-compassionate unintelligent fear of gay people and the effect gay marriages would have on society.

People are afraid what schools might teach their kids about gay marriage. Why? Will a discussion of gay marriage in the classroom turn their children gay?

People are afraid that society will come to accept gay people as normal. Why are they afraid of this? Are they afraid that acceptance of gays in society will turn people gay?

These are irrational , unintelligent, non-compassionate reasons for banning gay marriage.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:13 PM   #34
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:

But just because they're angry doesn't mean they're right. And just because I disagree with them doesn't mean I'm a bigot. That's the underlying thread through all the discussions on this topic I've had with folks on your side. You simply can't stomach the idea that any rational, compassionate, intelligent, non-bigoted person could possibly be against it. So to fill this cognitive vacuum, you deduce that we are all less rational, less compassionate, less intelligent, and or more bigoted than you.

I'm not calling anybody a bigot. I don't doubt your intelligence.

I think you're just wrong on this issue. Let's talk about "normalization" of homosexuality. What are the consequences of normalization of gayness for Mormon youth who are "struggling with same sex attraction" (to use your favored terminology)?

If being gay is considered an abnormal perversion, a youth with SSA will likely feel that his SSA is his fault -- the result of sin. He will not reveal his SSA to anybody and will likely lie about his orientation. He is more likely to commit suicide. He may even get married to a woman in a misguided attempt to change his orientation, eventually leaving in his wake a confused and shattered family. If his parents consider their gay son a pervert, they may disown their son. They may end up blaming themselves and feeling that God condemns their child and family and may have tremendous accompanying guilt related to this.

In my mind, these are a few of the fruits of your approach: A false understanding of the etiology of homosexuality, lying, guilt, suicide, and broken families.

If being gay is normalized, a youth with SSA will understand that this isn't his fault or the result of sin. He will be more likely to tell his parents and Church leaders about his SSA and receive needed explanation and reassurance that he shouldn't feel guilty. He will know he's not alone and will not need to lie. He will be less likely to commit suicide (IMO). His parents won't disown their son for being gay. He will be free to make a rational, informed decision to stay in the Church as a celibate person or to leave the Church. He won't marry a woman. (Interesting that normalization of homosexuality would make following this Church advice much more likely).

A few fruits of normalizing homosexuality: A true understanding of the etiology of homosexuality, honesty, truth, and intact families.

That's the way I see it. It doesn't mean I think I'm more intelligent or less bigoted than you. I just think it's the truth.

Last edited by CardiacCoug; 11-11-2008 at 10:18 PM.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:20 PM   #35
Bruincoug

Bruincoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardiacCoug View Post
I don't hate Mormons. I have some relatives and good friends that are Mormons. I think Mormons should have the same rights as non-Mormons.

I just don't approve of the Mormon lifestyle. I don't want my kids taught that being a Mormon is "normal." I don't want them to read stories about Mormons in school. I don't think Mormons should be able to adopt kids. If we let Mormons marry and let Mormonism be normalized, it will be terrible for families across this country.

Gee, why are Mormons upset by this stance? I don't want to infringe on the rights of Mormons in any way. I just want to protect my kids and my religion.
haha. nice.
Bruincoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:29 PM   #36
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick

Tex actually brings up a point that I tried to a few months ago and no one answered...I think I didn't frame it right so I will try again...

Is a Pedophile born that way or is it learned?

That frames it better.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:36 PM   #37
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tick View Post
Tex actually brings up a point that I tried to a few months ago and no one answered...I think I didn't frame it right so I will try again...

That frames it better.
Not sure if matters. Pedophiles cannot have sex with children because statutory rape laws prohibit them. Minors cannot give consent...not only for sex, but for other things, such as contractual relationships. therefore, any sexual contact between a pedo and a minor is, by definition, without consent.

With gays, you are dealing with 2 consenting individuals, so the analogy doesnt work. This isnt about the right of a homosexual to rape another homosexual. I think that is the reason the Pedophile comeback never gains any traction. Same with the sex with animals comeback. I see where you are going, and I get the logic, but it just isnt a great comparison.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:36 PM   #38
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:

That frames it better.
I don't know. Pedophilia involves molesting children. That is a crime. There is a victim. How is an adult seeking to marry a person they love in any way related to molesting children?
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:42 PM   #39
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:

That frames it better.
When I was 14, I was really into 13 and 14-year old girls. When I think back, it must have been my in-born pedophilia manifesting itself.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:50 PM   #40
The_Tick

The_Tick is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via ICQ to The_Tick Send a message via MSN to The_Tick

Don't infer....

I never mentioned gays.

My question was....

Are Pedophiles born that way?