cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2007, 03:52 PM   #1
Donuthole

Donuthole is on a distinguished road
Default Immodest dressing Seminary Student.

Some of you already know that I'm teaching early morning seminary this year for my first time. The early mornings suck, but I really enjoy teaching the scriptures to these kids, and I enjoy the personal study I put in to prepare the lessons.

My dilemma is that I have a young lady in my class that is constantly wearing immodest shirts. She's one of the more attractive young women in the class, and is the typical "only 16 but looks like she's 22" girl. Some days are worse than others, and it really wasn't that much of a problem until yesterday. But yesterday, the shirt she wore was unbelievably revealing. It was extremely low cut and very tight. At the very least, she needed an undershirt to cover the cleavage as well as provide an extra layer to hide some of her feminine contours.

If she were a wallflower and never participated, or if attendance were sporadic, then it wouldn't be nearly the problem. However, she's in class everyday and is one of the best students in the class. She provides some of the most insightful comments, and is always willing to read a scripture or say a prayer, etc.

Which brings me to my point. This is a major distraction for the class. Half the class is 15-16 year old boys who end up oogling her for the entire 40 minutes. Needless to say, it isn't bringing the spirit into the class, and it isn't helping the class concentrate.

What should I do? I don't feel comfortable pulling her aside and talking to her myself about it, as I don't think it's my place. Do I call her bishop? Parents?
Old 09-14-2007, 04:00 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you thought about the doing the obvious? Don't wear slacks, wear starched jeans.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:02 PM   #3
Donuthole

Lol. I would absolutely be lying if I said that it wasn't a distraction for me yesterday. Not quite to the "starched jeans" extreme, but distracting, nonetheless.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:04 PM   #4
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

If I were a high schooler having to get up every morning to go to early morning seminar.....knowing that I'd be seeing a hottie in shirts like that is motivation to keep going.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:07 PM   #5
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Clearly she isn't sufficiently repressed. Attractiveness drives away the spirit. We must punish women for their sexuality. Boys who want to wear sweat pants can't. There are scriptures affirming all of these notions. Let's turn the kids into whited sepulchers.

At least if you're teaching by the manual there's little being lost (not a shot at your teaching).

I'll bet the boys' attendance is good.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 09-14-2007 at 04:12 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:10 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

when I went to seminary, we had one guy that came in a bath robe.

Another guy wore short shorts. So short and tight that they were almost speedos. and he spent the entire time itching the eczema on his legs.

not a distraction for the boys or girls, but a distraction for the teacher.

I would have preferred a hottie in tight clothes myself, instead of that.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:11 PM   #7
Donuthole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
At least if you're teaching by the manual there's little being lost (not a shot at your teaching).

No offense taken. I gave up on the seminary manual after day 3. I get some ideas from it, but rely more on the institute manual.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:15 PM   #8
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post

No offense taken. I gave up on the seminary manual after day 3. I get some ideas from it, but rely more on the institute manual.
Good for you (and for your students).
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:25 PM   #9
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Why not have a lesson on the For the Strength of the Youth pamphlet, and then watch President Hinckley's video on the Six B's.

If the problem persists, absolutely say something to the parents. What are they going to do? Complain to the relief society, "<Donuthole> won't let our little Britney dress like a slut in Seminary! That bastard!"
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:44 PM   #10
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donuthole View Post
Some of you already know that I'm teaching early morning seminary this year for my first time. The early mornings suck, but I really enjoy teaching the scriptures to these kids, and I enjoy the personal study I put in to prepare the lessons.

My dilemma is that I have a young lady in my class that is constantly wearing immodest shirts. She's one of the more attractive young women in the class, and is the typical "only 16 but looks like she's 22" girl. Some days are worse than others, and it really wasn't that much of a problem until yesterday. But yesterday, the shirt she wore was unbelievably revealing. It was extremely low cut and very tight. At the very least, she needed an undershirt to cover the cleavage as well as provide an extra layer to hide some of her feminine contours.

If she were a wallflower and never participated, or if attendance were sporadic, then it wouldn't be nearly the problem. However, she's in class everyday and is one of the best students in the class. She provides some of the most insightful comments, and is always willing to read a scripture or say a prayer, etc.

Which brings me to my point. This is a major distraction for the class. Half the class is 15-16 year old boys who end up oogling her for the entire 40 minutes. Needless to say, it isn't bringing the spirit into the class, and it isn't helping the class concentrate.

What should I do? I don't feel comfortable pulling her aside and talking to her myself about it, as I don't think it's my place. Do I call her bishop? Parents?
First how hot is she. Does she look anything like my girl friend? I chose to have her picture in my avon and I trust it hasn't detracted from the board spirit.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote