cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-10-2006, 09:53 PM   #1
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Since it is boring and Jay Santos has his voice on this site....

What was Gary Crowton's biggest coaching fuax pas?

I know this is meanspirited yadda yadda, but I am not a warm and cuddly guy.

What comes to my mind:
Flying into Reno the day of the game and how that reflected how prepared the Y was to play.
HOT OFF THE AP WIRE: BYU goes for it again against AF on 4th down and the Falcons score another TD!!
Not recruiting a JC QB after the 2002 QB debacle.
The 2002 QB debacle.
2002 in general. In hindsight that was a piss poor season, amazing what a good year before can soothe the wounds.
Having John Beck roll out and throw the ball, which was intercepted, against Stanford in 2003. That was the straw that stirred my drink.
The amount of carries for Curtis Brown against UNLV in 2004.
Hiring IndyCoug to defend him to the death.

I think I would say the largest game day faux pas was the Reno game. Followed closely by ignoring Curtis Brown against UNLV.

The worst call I say was the one with Beck against Stanford in 2003.

The worst position management was the handling of qb spanning all of 2002 and into 2003. It ended when he picked Beck as his starter after spring ball in 2004, but by then too much damage was done and he was relying upon a kid not prepared for the schedule ahead.

Great guy and I could not be happier for his success at Oregon, but I am much happier with the state of things now.