cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2007, 10:40 PM   #11
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Yawn.
Wake me when this is over so I can continue to enjoy him on my commute to work.
I hope Bernard can eventually return to full form. I hope they don't drop the Cardinal O'Connor bit.
Maybe it will turn into "Mornings with Donny and Charlie" and I'll have to listen to my Liberace 8-tracks.
The one thing that sucks about my 8 minute commute is that it provides very little Imus time. That was the one good thing about my 45 minute morning drive on Atlanta highways.
Brian, be careful. Defending him could ruin your life. Do you see anyone else doing it? He's the plague.

I've decided the current soap opera in the press is just the means to slowly and agonizingly executing him inch by inch. Waters got it right. It's a ceremonial blood letting.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 02:09 AM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's a Slate piece on him:
http://www.slate.com/id/2163872/?nav=fix

They go through a list of quotes where he takes on Jews, blacks, Asians, Native Americans, etc.

Sarah Silverman, Chris Rock etc. have long relied on shock.

We like our politically incorrect curmudgeons. I don't listen to them too often, but it's not like I'm going to stop because limp-wristers like SU say I shouldn't.

I'll be damned if SU doesn't turn into the meanest old man anyone has ever met when he is 80. He'll be cussing the nurses.

Sometimes I imagine that beneath all that indignation about womens' rights, and mutterings about tuna technique, that there is a real man.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 02:17 AM   #13
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

1. What Imus said was absurd.

2. His public crucifixtion at the hands of the likes of Al Sharpton is absurd.

3. Imus has chosen then public beating.

I would have more respect for him if he wasn't doing the apology circuit because it couldn't be any more clear based on his history that he is sorry because he "got caught." Why on earth would anyone care about repeated insincere apologies that are are little more than an opportunity for the professional victims to justify their existence.

If he wants to meet with the team privately (which I guess he is) then fine. That is between them and him and they are entitled to respond to him if that is their desire.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:26 AM   #14
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

We here in Zion are protected. We don't have to worry about what Imus says, as he isn't on the air.

At least not that I know of.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 02:29 AM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
We here in Zion are protected. We don't have to worry about what Imus says, as he isn't on the air.

At least not that I know of.
He's on TV. MSNBC.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:30 AM   #16
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
This has turned into a full blown soap opera. NY Times and ESPN are running pictures of the players looking like sweet, air brushed prom queens all in a row. The inset of Imus on ESPN's cover looks like an aged Nazi war criminal.
My theory is that the competing News programs/networks want to stick it to MSNBC. Nothing like reporting AND making your competitor look bad. Several birds with one lame stone.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:30 AM   #17
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
He's on TV. MSNBC.
Ok. I don't watch MSNBC. I usually watch Cartoon Network or Boomerang.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 07:32 AM   #18
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
1. What Imus said was absurd.

2. His public crucifixtion at the hands of the likes of Al Sharpton is absurd.

3. Imus has chosen then public beating.

I would have more respect for him if he wasn't doing the apology circuit because it couldn't be any more clear based on his history that he is sorry because he "got caught." Why on earth would anyone care about repeated insincere apologies that are are little more than an opportunity for the professional victims to justify their existence.

If he wants to meet with the team privately (which I guess he is) then fine. That is between them and him and they are entitled to respond to him if that is their desire.
Which speaks to the genius that is Imus. What better way to garner support and rally the troops than to make Al Sharpton your confessor, especially when, on cue, Reverend Al calls for you to be fired.

Imus is a genius.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:13 PM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

The most disturbing aspect of this entire affair is why the heck were Bernard and Imus watching the game anyway?

Wasn't there an informercial on somewhere? Maybe a special on some serial killer on MSNBC? Or Nancy Grace yelling at some rape victim?

Of all the options........that's the saddest part of this.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:33 PM   #20
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Here's a Slate piece on him:
http://www.slate.com/id/2163872/?nav=fix

They go through a list of quotes where he takes on Jews, blacks, Asians, Native Americans, etc.

Sarah Silverman, Chris Rock etc. have long relied on shock.

We like our politically incorrect curmudgeons. I don't listen to them too often, but it's not like I'm going to stop because limp-wristers like SU say I shouldn't.

I'll be damned if SU doesn't turn into the meanest old man anyone has ever met when he is 80. He'll be cussing the nurses.

Sometimes I imagine that beneath all that indignation about womens' rights, and mutterings about tuna technique, that there is a real man.
My only point is women should be similarly protected. I'm gallant, chivalrous at heart; my defining virtue. The thing I didn't like about Majerus is he used the C word all the time. How long could he have used an analogous pajorative for blacks and kept his job?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote