cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2007, 05:16 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default BB Girls vs Boys

This is a fun topic.

One of the girls at our school that dominated in girls basketball and went on to play at BYU would play with us in pick up games on occasion. She was worse than the sophomore boys. She was a 4 in the girls game and played a soft, slow 2 in the boys game.

I'm pretty sure that not only could the 5A state champs beat the BYU girls team, but the 5A state champs would probably win the WNBA. I was an average large school high school basketball player. I think I would have been a star in girls college basketball. I would have been stonger and taller than anyone at my position and just as quick. I don't think many would have a shooting advantage either.

Shooting? That's the only argument I've seen. But look at these stats for BYU. FT shooting 63%, opponents 71%. Three point shooting 33%, 32% opponents. Total FG% 43%, opponents 35%. If they shoot that like that with girls guarding them, what are they going to shoot with boys guarding them?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:24 PM   #2
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
This is a fun topic.

One of the girls at our school that dominated in girls basketball and went on to play at BYU would play with us in pick up games on occasion. She was worse than the sophomore boys. She was a 4 in the girls game and played a soft, slow 2 in the boys game.

I'm pretty sure that not only could the 5A state champs beat the BYU girls team, but the 5A state champs would probably win the WNBA. I was an average large school high school basketball player. I think I would have been a star in girls college basketball. I would have been stonger and taller than anyone at my position and just as quick. I don't think many would have a shooting advantage either.

Shooting? That's the only argument I've seen. But look at these stats for BYU. FT shooting 63%, opponents 71%. Three point shooting 33%, 32% opponents. Total FG% 43%, opponents 35%. If they shoot that like that with girls guarding them, what are they going to shoot with boys guarding them?

P.S. the girls volleyball team challenged the boys at our school in a game of volleyball. This isn't California. The boys had next to no experience in vb and had no strategy or coaching. We still beat them.
Old 03-01-2007, 05:34 PM   #3
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

You could be right.

Last year my daughter participated in a little basketball clinic at her elementary school (4th grade at the time). It was boys and girls and they worked on skills during the week and each Friday they would scrimmage but the teacher decided to do boys vs. girls. I thought that was a very bad idea at first but the girls either tied or won every scrimmage. My daughter and her friend would set picks for each other and they just worked the boys over.

Occasionally my daughter takes on a boy in the ward that is her age in one-on-one b-ball. She usually wins 10-0. And she talks smack while she is doing it. My wife gets mad at her but I say "She may as well enjoy it while it lasts. Some day the boys will grow up and it will be the other way around."
Old 03-01-2007, 05:43 PM   #4
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
You could be right.

Last year my daughter participated in a little basketball clinic at her elementary school (4th grade at the time). It was boys and girls and they worked on skills during the week and each Friday they would scrimmage but the teacher decided to do boys vs. girls. I thought that was a very bad idea at first but the girls either tied or won every scrimmage. My daughter and her friend would set picks for each other and they just worked the boys over.

Occasionally my daughter takes on a boy in the ward that is her age in one-on-one b-ball. She usually wins 10-0. And she talks smack while she is doing it. My wife gets mad at her but I say "She may as well enjoy it while it lasts. Some day the boys will grow up and it will be the other way around."

That's different than my experience, or your daughter must be a real superior athlete.

My kids are that age also, and I've coached different sports in that age range both boys and girls. By my experience, starting from the beginning as young as you can make it, the boys dominate the girls in sport. An all star team from my kids school or city of the best 4th grade boys would dominate the best 5th grade girls in any sport.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:16 PM   #5
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
This is a fun topic.
Don't the girls use a smaller size basketball? (According to Wikipedia thw WNBA basketball is smaller than the NBA ball)

In addition to a likely drop in shooting percentage with boys guarding them, what would their shooting numbers be like if they used the same basketball as the boys?

I'll one up Mike Waters and answer my own post within in my own post:
According to USA Basketball, the women's NCAA ball is an inch shorter in circumference than the mens ball.

Last edited by BigFatMeanie; 03-01-2007 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Found the actual stats on BBall size
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:21 PM   #6
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

What's the point here, that in general, boys are better than girls at basketball? I don't think anyone will argue with you there.

Sheesh, someone must have bruised someone's masculinity today
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:34 PM   #7
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
What's the point here, that in general, boys are better than girls at basketball? I don't think anyone will argue with you there.

The topic was heavily discussed on CougarBoard this morning. One issue is this article about the NCAA wanting to ban women's college teams from playing against men during practice (supposedly the reasons they want to prevent women from practicing against men have to do with Title IX - thus only increasing my belief that Title IX in particular and priciples of egalitariansim in general are simply evil).

So, the question came up about whether or not a high school boys BBall team could beat a women's NCAA BBall team. The funny thing is that as soon as some people started discussing it on CougarBoard, others did the same thing as you and accused them of trying to build up their masculinity (I know you are only joking but the tools on CB were serious). Perhaps if the Title IXers would stop hacking away men's athletics then men wouldn't feel the need to build up their masculinity?
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 07:06 PM   #8
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Gotcha, makes sense now.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 07:44 PM   #9
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post

I can see where my comments could come across like that. As was explained, I was responding to a thread on CB and ongoing discussion in various forums as to comparing girls basketball vs boys basketball--especially high school boys vs college or professional girls.

Some will draw the line from there to the entertainment value of girls sport. I won't do that. I enjoy watching MWC basketball and football but would never watch NFL Europe or CBA, which are superior in level of product.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:57 PM   #10
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Overall, no question, men will beat women in basketball and football. Tennis is a different matter. Yes, when you get to the pros, the men would win...but if you take a top flight high school girl tennis player and play an average high school male tennis player...the girl would win. Top flight against top flight...I would say the boy wins because of the power and speed.

An average group of athletic boys could not beat a real good college women's volleyball team.

The discussion on cougarboard turned hillarious when herbsandspicesturd was talking about how his good friend and a bunch of wannabes and out of shape former high school players beat the WNBA Utah Starzz by 85 points. He was dead serious. As the discussion continued, it was later revealed by someone else with the actual DNews article that stated that it was a Millcreek County rec team made up of former Utah and BYU players and some other talented nonD1 players. And it wasn't 85, but about 50 in a pickup game.

No question, women are at a disadvantage in hoops and football...but it evens out in some of the other sports to an extent.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote