cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2008, 08:36 PM   #1
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default On Smith and the 9ers

If the post below is any indication, it looks like AS will not be under center W1 this year. Nowin is in job protection mode and will do whatever it takes to win a few more games this year, even if that's going with a six-year 3rd stringer (who knows the O) vs. Smith who is slowly learning his fourth O in as many years.

Quote:
Oh, by the way, Nolan said Smith would not run with the first team during the afternoon practice, either. Shaun Hill has not taken a practice snap since Wednesday, Aug. 6.

Nolan said nothing should be read into the fact that O'Sullivan has been working almost exclusively with the first team, while Smith has been working exclusively with the second team, and Hill has been working exclusively with no team.

The 49ers have five practices remaining during training camp. In training camp, the 49ers' offense runs plays against the 49ers' defense. It's generally first team vs. first team and second team vs. second team. As they get closer to the season, the offense and defense start working against scout teams. So the offense will practice against a defense that is running schemes designed to look like the upcoming opponent.
http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=2248752

Here's to pulling Holmgren out of retirement in '09.
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:39 PM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I feel badly for Alex, but no tears will be shed for the 49ers at all. I've never been a fan of that team and never will be.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 08:48 PM   #3
8ballrollin

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I've never been a fan of that team [49ers] and never will be.
It saddens me to hear people talk like that.

But it reminds me of when the Raiders came back to town and members of the 'Nation would roll with shirts in bold font saying, "F*** the 9ers"
Old 08-11-2008, 08:49 PM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
It saddens me to hear people talk like that.

But it reminds me of when the Raiders came back to town and members of the 'Nation would roll with shirts in bold font saying, "F*** the 9ers"
Well, if it makes you feel better, I hate the Raiders more than the 9ers. And I hate the Cowboys more than the Raiders and the 9ers combined.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:12 PM   #5
8ballrollin

Quote:
Well, if it makes you feel better, I hate the Raiders more than the 9ers. And I hate the Cowboys more than the Raiders and the 9ers combined.
That makes you a...Broncos fan? Guessing.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:19 PM   #6
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Include the Bronco's and you are a man after my own heart.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:47 PM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Yes, I am a Bronco's fan.

And no, I was not a fan at all of the 9ers long before Montana and Co. took the Broncos out behind the woodshed. Never been a fan of that team.

Old 08-12-2008, 02:28 AM   #8
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ballrollin View Post
If the post below is any indication, it looks like AS will not be under center W1 this year. Nowin is in job protection mode and will do whatever it takes to win a few more games this year, even if that's going with a six-year 3rd stringer (who knows the O) vs. Smith who is slowly learning his fourth O in as many years.

http://49ers.pressdemocrat.com/default.asp?item=2248752

Here's to pulling Holmgren out of retirement in '09.
I am so frustrated with the 49ers, it makes it difficult to follow them any more. Every time I think they're ready to turn the corner, they do something ridiculously stupid.

I was against them letting Mariuchi go, although I agreed he probably wasn't going to get them to the Super Bowl. I was absolutely livid when they hired Dennis Erickson and became seriously disinterested in the franchise for a while.

I liked the hiring of Nolan originally and thought that he could be a good head coach. I disagreed however, with the pick of Alex Smith first overall, not because of his college, but I wasn't sold on him being a franchise QB in the NFL. There weren't really ANY picks that I liked that year, outside of maybe Braylon Edwards. I did like some of the upside Smith looked to provide with his wonderlic score, but would have preferred either trading out or taking Edwards. Even looking back there isn't much from that draft I would have rather taken... maybe Merriman, and maybe Jamal Brown, so it looks like a poor year to draft #1 overall.

As much as I'd like to find a new NFL team to cheer for (and it would be the Chargers who have long been my #2 team) I can't not like the 49ers. It's engrained in me for as long as I can remember watching football. I still have hope they can turn it around, and I would be all for Holmgren coming back to take over the 49ers. He knows what it means to be a 49er and I like that. And honestly, if there is a coach who could salvage Smith's career, I think Holmgren could do it. There are a few nice pieces on offense to build around in Davis and Gore. Defensively they've got some nice pieces as well in Clements and Willis, although they aren't as close as many thought they were last year. Hopefully they'll tank this year and will get a decent draft pick, lose Nolan, and adding an anchor to the offensive line, or going defense and adding either a stud inside LB like Ray Maualaga (sp?) from USC or Malcom Jenkins at corner from Ohio State.

Sorry for my rant, but know you aren't the only 49ers fan here wallowing in misery.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:51 AM   #9
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
I am so frustrated with the 49ers, it makes it difficult to follow them any more. Every time I think they're ready to turn the corner, they do something ridiculously stupid.

I was against them letting Mariuchi go, although I agreed he probably wasn't going to get them to the Super Bowl. I was absolutely livid when they hired Dennis Erickson and became seriously disinterested in the franchise for a while.

I liked the hiring of Nolan originally and thought that he could be a good head coach. I disagreed however, with the pick of Alex Smith first overall, not because of his college, but I wasn't sold on him being a franchise QB in the NFL. There weren't really ANY picks that I liked that year, outside of maybe Braylon Edwards. I did like some of the upside Smith looked to provide with his wonderlic score, but would have preferred either trading out or taking Edwards. Even looking back there isn't much from that draft I would have rather taken... maybe Merriman, and maybe Jamal Brown, so it looks like a poor year to draft #1 overall.

As much as I'd like to find a new NFL team to cheer for (and it would be the Chargers who have long been my #2 team) I can't not like the 49ers. It's engrained in me for as long as I can remember watching football. I still have hope they can turn it around, and I would be all for Holmgren coming back to take over the 49ers. He knows what it means to be a 49er and I like that. And honestly, if there is a coach who could salvage Smith's career, I think Holmgren could do it. There are a few nice pieces on offense to build around in Davis and Gore. Defensively they've got some nice pieces as well in Clements and Willis, although they aren't as close as many thought they were last year. Hopefully they'll tank this year and will get a decent draft pick, lose Nolan, and adding an anchor to the offensive line, or going defense and adding either a stud inside LB like Ray Maualaga (sp?) from USC or Malcom Jenkins at corner from Ohio State.

Sorry for my rant, but know you aren't the only 49ers fan here wallowing in misery.
They just signed Takeo Spikes, so maybe he has enough left in the tank for a few more good seasons in San Fran.

As I look at that situation as an outsider rooting for Smith, I think the QB situation is just a microcasm of the complete mismanagement of that franchise for several years. Smith has not done himself any favors, but he certainly doesn't play D and cannot block for himself or catch his own passes.

I'm afraid the writing is on the wall for Alex in San Francisco. Right now, Brett Ratliff is looking like a better pro than either Smith or Beck. Hopefully, he'll get a shot somewhere else and land on his feet if his time in San Francisco is over.

As for the 49ers, they are like the Celtics or the Knicks in the NBA...it is good for business if they are good, so I hope they get things figured out, but with Nolan likely out and the team starting over, it is probably going to be another 2-3 years before they are back in the playoffs.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 07:17 AM   #10
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
As I look at that situation as an outsider rooting for Smith, I think the QB situation is just a microcasm of the complete mismanagement of that franchise for several years. Smith has not done himself any favors, but he certainly doesn't
play D and cannot block for himself or catch his own passes.

As for the 49ers, they are like the Celtics or the Knicks in the NBA...it is good for business if they are good, so I hope they get things figured out, but with Nolan likely out and the team starting over, it is probably going to be another 2-3 years before they are back in the playoffs.
I agree to a point. 2006 they were close, finishing at 7-9 and looking like they'd turned things around. However, they probably won some games they shouldn't have and their record was a bit inflated. And Smith has had a rough go of it, with a new offensive system every year making it tough to get into a rhythm. But there have been times he's looked flat out awful.

The thing the 9ers have going for them, is the NFC West is one of the weaker divisions. Seattle is at the top, but they are getting old, and it will be interesting to see how this season turns out. Arizona can't ever seem to put it together and St. Louis may be in worse shape than the 49ers. So a decent year, and they could win their division. Plus the NFL is all about parity right now. The Patriots were a better team than the Giants last year hands down, but honestly, the great thing is each game means so much and honestly, any team can beat any other team on any given Sunday. I love the NFL game... I just need the 9ers to be good again so I can stomach watching them.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote