cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2007, 07:51 PM   #21
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I don't know why so many LDS people pile on to Pat Robertson for this statement. Essentially, he is claiming to be a prophet, akin to President Hinckley. What would we say if President Hinckley were to make a statement just like what Robertson said? What would the national media say? What would others on message boards say about Hinckley? I assure you most Mormons would be offended by the response such a statement by Hinckley would receive.

And yet, when someone else says something similar, the first reaction by many Mormons is to mock them. That simply doesn't make much sense to me. Did God tell Robertson about an attack? I find it highly unlikely. I don't think God would, but it is POSSIBLE. Don't Mormons believe in personal revelation? Isn't that essentially saying that Mormons believe God can communicate directly with them and inspire them about certain issues, or, even, speak with them?

I don't believe Robertson spoke with God or that God told Robertson about an attack. It seems very far-fetched to me. But I won't mock him for saying it. He may actually believe what he is saying, meaning he is either delusional or correct. I can't possibly know for certain which it is.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:30 PM   #22
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah, Pizza Puffs (by Clover Club I believe) and Romper Room. This is why this board exists. Does anyone else remember Fireman Frank and Nightmare Theatre? What about TV with only channels 2, 3, 4, 7, and 11 (7 and 11 were PBS)? How about Dee's Drive Ins (with its own Deeburger Clown) and Grand Centrals?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:01 PM   #23
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Remember 19 cent hamburgers?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:04 PM   #24
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I don't know why so many LDS people pile on to Pat Robertson for this statement. Essentially, he is claiming to be a prophet, akin to President Hinckley. What would we say if President Hinckley were to make a statement just like what Robertson said? What would the national media say? What would others on message boards say about Hinckley? I assure you most Mormons would be offended by the response such a statement by Hinckley would receive.

And yet, when someone else says something similar, the first reaction by many Mormons is to mock them. That simply doesn't make much sense to me. Did God tell Robertson about an attack? I find it highly unlikely. I don't think God would, but it is POSSIBLE. Don't Mormons believe in personal revelation? Isn't that essentially saying that Mormons believe God can communicate directly with them and inspire them about certain issues, or, even, speak with them?

I don't believe Robertson spoke with God or that God told Robertson about an attack. It seems very far-fetched to me. But I won't mock him for saying it. He may actually believe what he is saying, meaning he is either delusional or correct. I can't possibly know for certain which it is.
Good point. Lots of irony.

However, Pat deserves mocking (IMO) due to his track record. And if folks want to mock GBH, let 'em have at it. I choose not to be offended.
Old 01-05-2007, 09:28 PM   #25
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Good point. Lots of irony.

However, Pat deserves mocking (IMO) due to his track record. And if folks want to mock GBH, let 'em have at it. I choose not to be offended.
If people mock him for his record, more power to them. It just seems to me that they mock him for claiming that he talked to God, when in fact, most of the mockers would also claim to speak to God (or at least recieve personal revelation from him).
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:00 PM   #26
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

Quote:
If people mock him for his record, more power to them. It just seems to me that they mock him for claiming that he talked to God, when in fact, most of the mockers would also claim to speak to God (or at least recieve personal revelation from him).
I mock him mostly for fun. That and because I think he's a gay retard.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 12:53 AM   #27
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Thanks for hijacking the hijack.

Where in "Cali" are you now?
Old 01-06-2007, 12:58 AM   #28
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Ah, Pizza Puffs (by Clover Club I believe) and Romper Room. This is why this board exists. Does anyone else remember Fireman Frank and Nightmare Theatre? What about TV with only channels 2, 3, 4, 7, and 11 (7 and 11 were PBS)? How about Dee's Drive Ins (with its own Deeburger Clown) and Grand Centrals?
Of course I remember Fireman Frank! My old man was in advertsing and through some client or another he managed to get me onto Fireman Frank's Fire Truck ofr the Christmas Parade. I recall Frank had an ENORMOUS nose. It was also rather cold and I had had too much egg nog, but that's another story.

Nightmare theatre. 11:30 on Friday nights. (or was it 10:30 and it just seemed later?) Very few of the movies were any good, but it was cool to stay up late.

Dees? Of course! I am a junk culture junkie! I can sing not only the original Dees jingle (let's go to Dees. Let's all go to Dees .. .) but I can also sing the ENTIRE parody (sneezeburgers, sneezeburgers, snot dogs and flies)

Last edited by creekster; 01-06-2007 at 01:21 AM.
creekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:39 AM   #29
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
I went to high school with Dee Anderson's granddaughter. She was a megababe - and still is when I ran into her a few months back.

Grand Central (or Grand Swindle as some referenced it) was a great place to buy all my vinyl LPs.

I remember Fireman Frank. I also remember Harvey and Cannonball. Harvey was in my stake and it was really odd to see him at the ward house on a Sunday when I thought he lived in the tv.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote