cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2006, 04:42 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default This week's bye

does it get all of our guys healthy?

Will Jake be healthy?
Old 10-10-2006, 04:56 PM   #2
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
does it get all of our guys healthy?

Will Jake be healthy?
I don't know. I hope so, but the OL depth is really impressing me. If you would have told me that BYU would look this good without its two best OL for signifigant chunks of the first 6 games, I would not have believed it.

I said it after BC and I will say it again, this is the most talent and depth BYU has had since the mid 1990's. Further, John Beck is emerging as an AA caliber quarterback. He won't get it and he probably shouldn't, but if he keeps playing this well it is going to be a fun finish.
Old 10-10-2006, 05:04 PM   #3
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I don't know. I hope so, but the OL depth is really impressing me. If you would have told me that BYU would look this good without its two best OL for signifigant chunks of the first 6 games, I would not have believed it.

I said it after BC and I will say it again, this is the most talent and depth BYU has had since the mid 1990's. Further, John Beck is emerging as an AA caliber quarterback. He won't get it and he probably shouldn't, but if he keeps playing this well it is going to be a fun finish.
I agree... this is the best BYU team that I have seen since 1996*. IMO, they are not "there" yet, but they are getting closer. They are pretty deep and complete, and, I think that next year might be pretty solid too.

Remember, 1983 was supposed to be THE year for BYU. 1984 was supposed to be a rebuilding year with Young having left and a pretty much unproven Bosco ready to take over. I am not saying that 2007 will be like 1984, just that BYU 'could' be ready to have a big year next year.

*I was on my mission in 2001, and did not see any games with Luke Staley, as I returned home only to watch the bowl game.

Last edited by TheSizzle36; 10-10-2006 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Added Asteric
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 05:18 PM   #4
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
I agree... this is the best BYU team that I have seen since 1996*. IMO, they are not "there" yet, but they are getting closer. They are pretty deep and complete, and, I think that next year might be pretty solid too.

Remember, 1983 was supposed to be THE year for BYU. 1984 was supposed to be a rebuilding year with Young having left and a pretty much unproven Bosco ready to take over. I am not saying that 2007 will be like 1984, just that BYU 'could' be ready to have a big year next year.

*I was on my mission in 2001, and did not see any games with Luke Staley, as I returned home only to watch the bowl game.
I would have had Luke Staley's baby, he was that good. Luke Staley, the 2001 version, is with Jim McMahon as the most dominating skill players BYU ever had.

I have been noticing that the Y finally has a guard who can pull and create havoc...Brother Bright. I was a big Travis Bright homer and now that he is fully recovered from his broken ankle and getting some gametime experience you can see why I am so bully on the 2008 offense. Bright and Reynolds are IMO going to be the best OL tandem perhaps ever for BYU. That OL in 2008 is going to be special.

Travis has one decleater/pancake on the highlight film on one Curtis' sweeps that is nipple hardening fun. The kid is about 8 yards beyond the LOS and slobberknocks a SS into never-neverland. Doesn't TB play at about 310 lbs? Perfect example of the issue with OL weight many of you folks have been pointing out. Travis is 15 lbs lighter than the 330 many of the Y guys seem to be and look at the results.