cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2008, 07:24 PM   #21
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
The truth is probably somewhere in the middle as you indicate, but this is the list of receivers Beck threw to with their 2006 receptions.

BROWN, Curtis 62
HARLINE, Jonny 58
JACOBSON, 28
ALLEN, Matt 27
COLLIE, Zac 26
REED, Michael 25
TONGA, Manase 23
COATS, Daniel 22
MEIKLE, Nathan 21

I think our current group of receivers is = or better this year. I think Max is locking in on Pitta and Collie too much. The reason he does this is because of his early season success, but until he can break free from this crutch he will struggle. Just my opinion.
I dont think our current group is better. I am being serious. The top is better with Austin and Dennis but the depth is not. Mckay Jacobsen, Matt Allen, Nate Meikle, and Zac Collie were very consistent. We dont have that out of the 3rd wideout spot this year. Ashworth, Chambers, Hafoka none of them have done much.
Old 10-17-2008, 07:27 PM   #22
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I dont think our current group is better. I am being serious. The top is better with Austin and Dennis but the depth is not. Mckay Jacobsen, Matt Allen, Nate Meikle, and Zac Collie were very consistent. We dont have that out of the 3rd wideout spot this year. Ashworth, Chambers, Hafoka none of them have done much.
How often have they been thrown to? Is their lack of balls to catch a function of their ability to get open or is it a function of Max locking onto Collie and Pitta because of his early season success?

My hunch tells me that it is more of the latter.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 07:29 PM   #23
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
How often have they been thrown to and is that a function of their ability to get open or is it a function of Max locking onto Collie and Pitta because of his early season success?

The other receivers are not getting very open. Having been to 5 of the 7 games in person I can tell you that they are struggling to get open. Maybe this is the routes they are being asked to run, but the other receivers are struggling. I do agree that Hall can check down more especially to Harvey.
Old 10-17-2008, 08:58 PM   #24
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
How often have they been thrown to? Is their lack of balls to catch a function of their ability to get open or is it a function of Max locking onto Collie and Pitta because of his early season success?

I wonder this same thing. I believe Chambers has one catch for the year (against USU, if I recall). I can't think of another time he has been thrown to. Lately, Hall hasn't been looking at anyone else to go to other than his favorites. It needs to be fixed, whether that means a change in play calling (where the progression doesn't start with Pitta or Collie), or whether it means a change in Hall's habits.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote