cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Current Events
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2008, 10:12 PM   #21
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
another thing, it is natural to react in such a way as to not believe, or to not want to believe, when confronted with evil acts. "it could not be" "it's a hoax" "there is a misunderstanding"

good men do not want to put themselves in a place to know and feel what evil men do.
For me it isn't disbelief. I believe people are capable of just about anything. Maybe I'm not a good enough person to disbelieve. I just think there is more, and maybe worse somehow.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:44 PM   #22
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
No, I am with you. There is something missing here. I am having a hard time believing that the husband could keep up the charade for 24 years. Perhaps his wife is mentally ill. I think a healthy wife would be saying, "what are those noises coming from the basement?" And, "why do you keep bringing plates of food down to the basement?" And why in 24 years did she never even venture down there for any reason? It doesn't make sense.
Something may be amiss but I thought the basement was the basement of their apartment building.

Last edited by Flystripper; 04-28-2008 at 10:56 PM.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:46 PM   #23
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah it was the basement of the apartment building

"The mother, identified as Elisabeth F., told officers that she had just been released after two decades of captivity at the hands of her father. She said that on Aug. 28, 1984, her father had sedated her, handcuffed her and locked her in a room in the cellar of the family's apartment building."

Still pretty crazy but I can see him keeping it secret in the bowels of the apartment building.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:48 PM   #24
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
No, I am with you. There is something missing here. I am having a hard time believing that the husband could keep up the charade for 24 years. Perhaps his wife is mentally ill. I think a healthy wife would be saying, "what are those noises coming from the basement?" And, "why do you keep bringing plates of food down to the basement?" And why in 24 years did she never even venture down there for any reason? It doesn't make sense.
Not to mention the fact that she and the reprobate are raising 3 of the 6 children he fathered with the daughter. Did she not wonder where these 3 kids came from?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:22 AM   #25
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Not to mention the fact that she and the reprobate are raising 3 of the 6 children he fathered with the daughter. Did she not wonder where these 3 kids came from?
He said kids were laid at the doorstep.

What was she supposed to think? "No they weren't, they are your spawn with my daughter trapped in the basement for the last twenty years."

Sorry, this thought is not the most likely scenario to pop up in one's mind, I would think.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 08:13 PM   #26
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
He said kids were laid at the doorstep.

What was she supposed to think? "No they weren't, they are your spawn with my daughter trapped in the basement for the last twenty years."

Sorry, this thought is not the most likely scenario to pop up in one's mind, I would think.
Exactly. The guy concocts this story about his wife running away to be part of a cult at 18. Then over the next 24 years, 3 kids show up on the doorstep with notes from his daughter, saying she can not care for them any longer, will he take care of them.

Also the cellar was below the apartment building and went outside below the garden next to the apartment complex. This is a completely seperate structure from where they lived, its not like it was a basement in their house.