cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2008, 09:20 PM   #11
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Still stings doesn't it. If we are ever there again in our lifetimes, it will be among the biggest and most pleasant surprises of my life.
It does.

The thing that gets to me the most is that Majerus has said that if there had only been someone to spell Andre - other than Jordie McTavish - the Utes could have won it.

Well, then why didn't you recruit and sign someone other than McTavish, Rick?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:30 PM   #12
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
It does.

The thing that gets to me the most is that Majerus has said that if there had only been someone to spell Andre - other than Jordie McTavish - the Utes could have won it.

The funny thing is, IIRC, Majerus was actually very excited (at least in the media) about McTavish's signing at the U.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:33 PM   #13
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It does.

So true. Miller had to play 37 minutes in that game (McTavish getting the other 3 mins), which no doubt resulted in his 8 turnovers...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...ucky.utah.html
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:34 PM   #14
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
The funny thing is, IIRC, Majerus was actually very excited (at least in the media) about McTavish's signing at the U.
This is true. Rick was pretty high on McTavish when he signed him.

That loss in the championship game was the start of Majerus' fall, IMO. He wouldn't accept that he was in part responsible for the loss.

Still, I will say that I am glad he was at Utah. He proved that basketball could be played at a very high level away from the alleged power conferences.

Oh that the Orioles could have that kind of run for about 4 or 5 years.

Ah well, life goes on, eh?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:40 PM   #15
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottie View Post
So true. Miller had to play 37 minutes in that game (McTavish getting the other 3 mins), which no doubt resulted in his 8 turnovers...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/bas...ucky.utah.html
I seem to remember that the majority of Andre's turnovers came in the last 5-7 minutes when the dude was dog tired. That kid gave it his all and was spent.

There were some Wildcat fans sitting behind us who told us before the game started that they were really concerned that it was a Utah/UK final. They felt that they matched up better with UNC and that Utah was bound to finally beat UK. After the game, they noted that had Miller just not run out of gas, he would have single handedly won the game.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:48 PM   #16
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This is true. Rick was pretty high on McTavish when he signed him.

That loss in the championship game was the start of Majerus' fall, IMO. He wouldn't accept that he was in part responsible for the loss.

Still, I will say that I am glad he was at Utah. He proved that basketball could be played at a very high level away from the alleged power conferences.

Oh that the Orioles could have that kind of run for about 4 or 5 years.

Ah well, life goes on, eh?
I don't even dare dream that the O's could have that type of run. I do think we are lucky to have Adam Jones on the team, however. I don't have a ton of confidence in Guthrie, but think he has a chance to pretty good. 15 wins would be nice out of him this year.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:59 PM   #17
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I seem to remember that the majority of Andre's turnovers came in the last 5-7 minutes when the dude was dog tired. That kid gave it his all and was spent.
And Doleac spent the last five minutes walking (not sprinting) up and down the court.

Majerus used 10 players in the Arizona and UNC games but only 6 against THEM.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:14 PM   #18
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
I don't even dare dream that the O's could have that type of run. I do think we are lucky to have Adam Jones on the team, however. I don't have a ton of confidence in Guthrie, but think he has a chance to pretty good. 15 wins would be nice out of him this year.
Guthrie is my choice to have a breakout year.

By "breakout", I mean that he'll be good for the Orioles. By "year", I mean somewhere around mid-July. By "choice", I mean that I can't think of any of the other pitchers names right now. Cold medicine that makes one drowsy has that kind of effect on me.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:15 PM   #19
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
And Doleac spent the last five minutes walking (not sprinting) up and down the court.

Majerus used 10 players in the Arizona and UNC games but only 6 against THEM.
I had forgotten about the tighter rotation. I don't understand why Rick felt he needed to do that. 10 players worked great for AZ and UNC. I don't see why it wouldn't have worked against THEM.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:09 AM   #20
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I was in law school during that run.

The night of the championship, there were about 8 of us together at a friend's apartment, all of us cheering for the Utes. Some billed it as a David V Goliath, small guy v big guy matchup.....but in reality, the Utes were one of the best teams in the country that year. It was no fluke that they made it that far. And but for getting somewhat gassed in the second half, they would have cut down the nets.

I know one thing for sure......the entire state of Kentucky was sweating bullets, esp that first half.

You are right that was not a Cinderella story that year. The Utes were just legitimately one of the best teams in the country. They should have been a 2 or even a 1 seed in the dance. I do think that UNC was better than Utah, so that was an upset, but Utah was great.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote