cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2007, 11:42 PM   #1
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default LDS attitude toward the JST

From George Reynolds, Secretary to the First Presidency, in a letter to C.J. Hunt, a member of the RLDS church. The letter is on First Presidency letterhead:

June 28, 1898

Mr. C.J. Hunt, Deloit, Iowa

Dear Sir:

I am directed by President Woodruff to acknowledge the receipt of your favor of June 18, and to say that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints does not use the revision of the Scriptures made by the Prophet Joseph Smith for the reason that he never completed the work. It was his intention to have gone all through the Bible again and make further corrections, but he did not have the opportunity of doing so. Consequently it is deemed an injustice both to the dead prophet and to the reader to place this unfinished work in the hands of the public. Though we may rest assured that the changes that he has made are correct, we have no assurance that he would not have many many other corrections in his second revision.

Yours respectfully,

George Reynolds, Secretary
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 11:49 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
From George Reynolds, Secretary to the First Presidency, in a letter to C.J. Hunt, a member of the RLDS church. The letter is on First Presidency letterhead:

June 28, 1898

Dear Sir:

I am directed by President Woodruff to acknowledge the receipt of your favor of June 18, and to say that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints does not use the revision of the Scriptures made by the Prophet Joseph Smith for the reason that he never completed the work. It was his intention to have gone all through the Bible again and make further corrections, but he did not have the opportunity of doing so. Consequently it is deemed an injustice both to the dead prophet and to the reader to place this unfinished work in the hands of the public. Though we may rest assured that the changes that he has made are correct, we have no assurance that he would not have many many other corrections in his second revision.

Yours respectfully,

Great find.

I have the JST in large volume with original manuscripts of the scribes.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:10 AM   #3
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Uh-oh. Tex told me that the "JS never finished it" theory was simply a common misconception.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:45 AM   #4
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Uh-oh. Tex told me that the "JS never finished it" theory was simply a common misconception.
Ding! It's amazing how fast you can come up with a complete mischaracterization of my comments. Like clockwork.

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...1&postcount=31

I think I need to hire an intern to keep track of Lebowski distortions.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 09-28-2007 at 03:48 AM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 03:51 AM   #5
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post

June 28, 1898

Dear Sir:

Yours respectfully,

This was the attitude of the church for many decades, fueled by mistrust of the RLDS and their interpretation of the passages.

Fortunately, attitudes changed and we discovered the RLDS made a very effective good-faith effort toward this end. The JST is a precious gem that has finally earned much of it's deserved place, except perhaps on CG.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 09-28-2007, 03:55 AM   #6
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Nice.

Leb, you are a constant source of entertainment.

It's impressive how you constantly distort people's posts. Is it hard to keep that up?
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 04:24 AM   #7
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Ding! It's amazing how fast you can come up with a complete mischaracterization of my comments. Like clockwork.

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...1&postcount=31

"complete mischaracterization"? Hardly. I think that is a pretty decent summary of your argument as evidenced by your post. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:29 AM   #8
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
Nice.

Leb, you are a constant source of entertainment.

It's impressive how you constantly distort people's posts. Is it hard to keep that up?
Lingo, Lingo, Lingo. It's fun to mess with Tex. But you aren't even worth the energy.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:58 AM   #9
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Lingo, Lingo, Lingo. It's fun to mess with Tex. But you aren't even worth the energy.
Odd. You've managed to distort my statements more than once in the past.

Maybe that was by accident.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 05:05 AM   #10
Tex

Quote:
"complete mischaracterization"? Hardly. I think that is a pretty decent summary of your argument as evidenced by your post. Thanks for clarifying.
My post clearly indicated that there's a good argument for looking at it either way.

But I'm happy to educate you. I'd have only half as many posts on CG if you, Arch, and others would just bother reading a little more carefully.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young