cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religious Studies
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2007, 08:34 PM   #1
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Brigham Young on Bible Translation

From the Journal of Discourses 14:226-227:

“If [the Bible] be translated incorrectly, and there is a scholar on the earth who professes to be a Christian, and he can translate it any better than King James’s translators did it, he is under obligation to do so, or the curse is upon him. If I understood Greek and Hebrew as some may profess to do, and I knew the Bible was not correctly translated, I should feel myself bound by the law of justice to the inhabitants of the earth to translate that which is incorrect and give it just as it was spoken anciently. Is that proper? Yes, I would be under obligation to do it.”
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:38 PM   #2
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post

“If [the Bible] be translated incorrectly, and there is a scholar on the earth who professes to be a Christian, and he can translate it any better than King James’s translators did it, he is under obligation to do so, or the curse is upon him. If I understood Greek and Hebrew as some may profess to do, and I knew the Bible was not correctly translated, I should feel myself bound by the law of justice to the inhabitants of the earth to translate that which is incorrect and give it just as it was spoken anciently. Is that proper? Yes, I would be under obligation to do it.”
Amen, Brother Brigham.

I am curious to see how Tex will spin this.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:39 PM   #3
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Which is why Joseph Smith started work on doing that very thing.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:40 PM   #4
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Ah hell. There goes my free time for the next couple of שנה.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:45 PM   #5
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Amen, Brother Brigham.

I am curious to see how Tex will spin this.
Spin what? I have no problem with that statement.

Leb, someday you may rise to the level of actually understanding my point of view. Until then, you will continue to labor in embarrassing ignorance.

Ding!

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 08:54 PM   #6
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Spin what? I have no problem with that statement.

Leb, someday you may rise to the level of actually understanding my point of view. Until then, you will continue to labor in embarrassing ignorance.

Ding!
LOL. Well, there you go. Tex simply ignores all of his previous comments on the topic.

Come on, Tex. You argued for days that the only kind of translation we should bother with is JST-style "translation by revelation". And you repeatedly downplayed the significance and importance of any academic approach to translation. And mocked our affinity to the NRSV.

Here is just one of your many posts:

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...9&postcount=18
Old 09-24-2007, 08:59 PM   #7
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
LOL. Well, there you go. Tex simply ignores all of his previous comments on the topic.

Come on, Tex. You argued for days that the only kind of translation we should bother with is JST-style "translation by revelation". And you repeatedly downplayed the significance and importance of any academic approach to translation. And mocked our affinity to the NRSV.

Here is just one of your many posts:

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...9&postcount=18
I also said this in that same thread:

Quote:
Intepretation of scripture is done via revelation, not academic exploration. I don't think the church opposes the latter, though, as YOhio points out. Just refuses to standardize on it.
Neither am I opposed to attempts to improve upon the Bible through academic means. I support the church's caution in transitioning to another version, however. Most of my criticism in the other thread was not about opposing other versions but the severe beating the JST took.

Sorry that doesn't fit into your little Tex-hate world, Leb.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 09-24-2007, 09:10 PM   #8
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Tex, wouldn't you go for a translation that was more academically/linguistically sound than KJV, and allow modern day prophets to continue to handle the interpretation, as has been the model the last 200 years of the church?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:18 PM   #9
Tex

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Tex, wouldn't you go for a translation that was more academically/linguistically sound than KJV, and allow modern day prophets to continue to handle the interpretation, as has been the model the last 200 years of the church?
As I said in the other thread, as a matter of standardization and/or canonization I think the church is appropriately cautious. It has compelling reasons to stay with the KJV. Maybe someday they will decide to go another direction, and if/when they do I will get in line.

In the meantine that doesn't mean there isn't value in the newer translations, nor that they cannot be studied and extrapolated from. We know Joseph didn't limit himself to only the KJV, and we have a revelation from God telling him (and the church) that while not necessary for the JST, the apocryphal books contain many things that are true.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 09-24-2007, 09:19 PM   #10
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
I also said this in that same thread:

Quote:
Intepretation of scripture is done via revelation, not academic exploration. I don't think the church opposes the latter, though, as YOhio points out. Just refuses to standardize on it.
Neither am I opposed to attempts to improve upon the Bible through academic means. I support the church's caution in transitioning to another version, however. Most of my criticism in the other thread was not about opposing other versions but the severe beating the JST took.
Spin-spin-spin. Nicely done.

Given that you claim to agree with BY's statement above, why on earth would you or the church be so cautious about adopting improved translations? Since BY's time we have adopted ZERO improved translations. That's well beyond being "cautious".

Quote:
Sorry that doesn't fit into your little Tex-hate world, Leb.
Oh, stop with the school-girl drama.