cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-11-2007, 10:32 PM   #21
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
Yep - you are blissfully unaware of your bad B.O.
No, actually that one is on my list.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:32 PM   #22
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Ah, Cougarguard .... so different from the negativity of Cougarboard!

Refreshing.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:34 PM   #23
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's a summary of my racist life:

1. My first best friend in school was a recent immigrant from Mexico
2. I remember my mom crying for joy in 1978 when the priesthood was made available to all worthy males. That certainly shaped my racist views.
3. My best friend in 6th and 7th grade was black.
4. I went on a mission to England and taught primarily Africans and West Indians. They were much finer people on average than the native population that somehow managed to produce the bulk of the early Church membership.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 10:40 PM   #24
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Here's a summary of my racist life:

2. I remember my mom crying for joy in 1978 when the priesthood was made available to all worthy males. That certainly shaped my racist views.
3. My best friend in 6th and 7th grade was black.
4. I went on a mission to England and taught primarily Africans and West Indians. They were much finer people on average than the native population that somehow managed to produce the bulk of the early Church membership.
It doesn't matter what you say, bro. As soon as the thoughtless crowd starts chanting, it's hard to keep them away from the Kool-Aid.

But at least Cougarguard is a place where people are respectful to one another.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 03:20 AM   #25
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

This name-calling is unbecoming and cheapens the term. I prefer to reserve it for truly egregious behavior.

From what I can tell, our friends who so vigorously argue against the prevailing opinion here happily rejoice in the 1978 changes. I think they even agree that the policy was racist in its application by human standards. They just don't agree that the policy came about soley due to human frailty, but hold out the possibility (perhaps to some it is much more than a possibility) that it was part of a larger divine plan. I see that as fairly tenuous, but allow for it as a possibility.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 03:27 AM   #26
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post

Napoleon?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 04:09 AM   #27
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
This name-calling is unbecoming and cheapens the term. I prefer to reserve it for truly egregious behavior.

From what I can tell, our friends who so vigorously argue against the prevailing opinion here happily rejoice in the 1978 changes. I think they even agree that the policy was racist in its application by human standards. They just don't agree that the policy came about soley due to human frailty, but hold out the possibility (perhaps to some it is much more than a possibility) that it was part of a larger divine plan. I see that as fairly tenuous, but allow for it as a possibility.
I'm sorry but I don't think defense of the priesthood ban on any level is worthy of debate. Nor do the opinions of those who defend it deserve consideration. Everyone with a Mormon legacy should simply condemn it for what it clearly was, not deign to reason with people who defend it. It was wrong. What else is wrong is the absense of explanation and acknowledgement of wrongdoing in part because of these types of tormented discussions that continue to go on. Only a moral reckoning and acknowledgement of what the priesthood ban was will consign it to the past.

If someone uses the Old Testament as authority for rationalizing the priesthood ban as has been done here he's a racist in my book. That's what he is. There aren't any places in our country anymore outside LDS affiliated groups you could even carry on that discussion without making yourself a pariah.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 05:43 AM   #28
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I'm sorry but I don't think defense of the priesthood ban on any level is worthy of debate. Nor do the opinions of those who defend it deserve consideration. Everyone with a Mormon legacy should simply condemn it for what it clearly was, not deign to reason with people who defend it. It was wrong. What else is wrong is the absense of explanation and acknowledgement of wrongdoing in part because of these types of tormented discussions that continue to go on. Only a moral reckoning and acknowledgement of what the priesthood ban was will consign it to the past.

If someone uses the Old Testament as authority for rationalizing the priesthood ban as has been done here he's a racist in my book. That's what he is. There aren't any places in our country anymore outside LDS affiliated groups you could even carry on that discussion without making yourself a pariah.
If they admit to being racist, will you admit to being bigoted towards religion in general?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 06:10 AM   #29
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
If they admit to being racist, will you admit to being bigoted towards religion in general?
Why? Because I condemn racism by a religion? As I've told you, sport, it's not bigotry to criticize a religion's bad acts. Hardly. There's a glorious history of it for thousands of years, and many paid with their lives to do it. It's hygienic for any civilization and one of the primary functions of the first amendment. Criticism is why the LDS Church lifted the priesthood ban.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 06:21 AM   #30
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Why? Because I condemn racism by a religion? As I've told you, sport, it's not bigotry to criticize a religion's bad acts. Hardly. There's a glorious history of it for thousands of years, and many paid with their lives to do it. It's hygienic for any civilization and one of the primary functions of the first amendment. Criticism is why the LDS Church lifted the priesthood ban.
No, because you display bigotry towards all religion in general.

From the American Heritage Dictionary:

n. One who is strongly partial to one's own group, religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those who differ.

I'm not specifying your thoughts on the LDS priesthood ban. I'm talking about how you view all religion in general. Did you not say that religion is inherently evil?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote