cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2007, 06:08 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Another Polygamy thread

What's interesting that is going on right now is that the faith defenders (not the right word because I consider myself a faith defender though I'm not in this group, and I don't mean it as a derogatory term) are stuck in times like these defending the concept of polygamy. When it's possible the concept of polygamy shouldn't be defended.

I'm not so sure you would find Pres. Hinckly or the twelve apostles interested in defending the principle of polygamy.

We have gone as a church from

a. polygamy in full force and being taught as the socialization of God and the only way to reach the highest level of celestial kingdom

to

b. OK you forced us to stop practicing polygamy but we still believe it is a doctrine of God and believe it will be practiced again on earth and in heaven

to

c. we do NOT practice polygamy, we will prosecute the HELL out of you if we catch you doing it in utah, we don't even want to entertain the idea of it being implemented again, and we're completely silent on even the doctrine

How fascinating would this be:

The nation watches documentary on Mormons, realizes the hypocrisy of demanding gay marriage rights while denying polygamy, feels remorse about the bad way Mormons were treated, and collectively comes to belief that polygamy should be legalized.

Senators and congressmen come to LDS church and apologize and pass laws to legalize polygamy. "OK, Mormon church, go ahead and practice it again."

Cougarboard and the "faith defender" types rejoice.

Pres. Hinckley and 12 apostles: "umm no we really don't want it after all."

You can take the "intellectual/rationalization" bit too far, but you can take the blind faith defender bit way too far too.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:12 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
What's interesting that is going on right now is that the faith defenders (not the right word because I consider myself a faith defender though I'm not in this group, and I don't mean it as a derogatory term) are stuck in times like these defending the concept of polygamy. When it's possible the concept of polygamy shouldn't be defended.

I'm not so sure you would find Pres. Hinckly or the twelve apostles interested in defending the principle of polygamy.

We have gone as a church from

a. polygamy in full force and being taught as the socialization of God and the only way to reach the highest level of celestial kingdom

to

b. OK you forced us to stop practicing polygamy but we still believe it is a doctrine of God and believe it will be practiced again on earth and in heaven

to

c. we do NOT practice polygamy, we will prosecute the HELL out of you if we catch you doing it in utah, we don't even want to entertain the idea of it being implemented again, and we're completely silent on even the doctrine

The nation watches documentary on Mormons, realizes the hypocrisy of demanding gay marriage rights while denying polygamy, feels remorse about the bad way Mormons were treated, and collectively comes to belief that polygamy should be legalized.

Senators and congressmen come to LDS church and apologize and pass laws to legalize polygamy. "OK, Mormon church, go ahead and practice it again."

You can take the "intellectual/rationalization" bit too far, but you can take the blind faith defender bit way too far too.
Well, I can't tell with your broadest of brush strokes here if I fit into your cavernous "blind faith defender umbrella", but I would only rejoice if (and in this exact order)

1. Pres. Hinckley was commanded by God to revive the practice of polygamy

2. The laws of the land were changed in order to make such a practice a legal one, thereby avoiding the huge problems the church had in the 1800s.

Nothing more, nothing less than that.

P.S. I would then hope that the male/female ratio in the church was exactly 50/50, rendering the practice a largely moot point and that I wouldn't be asked to "pitch in".

Last edited by Indy Coug; 05-01-2007 at 06:18 PM.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 07:04 PM   #3
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post

Well, if the constitutional ammendment idea promoted by the church ever passes then I think they will have effectively shut the door on polygamy forever. That would be pretty tough to undo later.

"Hey, we just got a revelation that we need to start doing polygamy again. Never mind on that one man, one woman thing. Could we please pass an ammendment to cancel that other ammendment."
Old 05-01-2007, 09:33 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I think if they reinstituted polygamy there would need to be a rule that you have to baptize your bride. It's a great way to incentivize missionary work.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote