cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-09-2009, 12:53 AM   #91
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Wow, that's an impressive survey.

BYU has many excellent students. However, get back to me when Harvard's Economic Chair got her degree at BYU, the Economics Chair at London School of Economics is from BYU and the acting partners at the Wall Street institutions hail from BYU.
Psst. Hello? Kim Clark, HBS Dean? The best economists teach at Business Schools cuz they pay more. Clark is an economist. Bateman himself was at the upper echelons of M&M Mars before BYU pulled him for the business school. Also an economist, MIT bred.

We send someone to the top program, MIT or Chicago every year, which should be our primary aim as a teaching school.

Archaea's next predictable response..."Talk to me when BYU becomes Ivy League."
Old 07-09-2009, 01:25 AM   #92
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
FYI, I have no interest in discussing this with Cali. If AA chooses to weigh in again, I'll respond to him in turn.
Tired of losing?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:35 AM   #93
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCoug View Post
We're still pumping out students to the best law schools, right? Georgetown #14, NYU at #5?
Sorry to let you down. Chicago at #6. They offered me off of their wait list last month.

But yeah, BYU does very well at shipping their students off to other prestigious universities. We're a good feeder school. I think the regret is that we are not ourselves a prestigious university. We're shipping out great talent to other places instead of bringing in great talent from other places.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:37 AM   #94
All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Tired of losing?
That's probably not necessary.
Old 07-09-2009, 01:43 AM   #95
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
That's probably not necessary.
Necessary? Clearly not. But he is.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:03 AM   #96
ChinoCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Sorry to let you down. Chicago at #6. They offered me off of their wait list last month.

But yeah, BYU does very well at shipping their students off to other prestigious universities. We're a good feeder school. I think the regret is that we are not ourselves a prestigious university. We're shipping out great talent to other places instead of bringing in great talent from other places.
Chose Chicago for its ideological balance, yeah?

My home teacher is a recent Chicago law grad and a patent lawye. He did computer science as an undergrad at the Y.

The best part of Chicago law is that they mix economic analysis with EVERY COURSE. That is where the law and economics field was founded.

Last edited by ChinoCoug; 07-09-2009 at 02:07 AM.
ChinoCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:25 AM   #97
All-American

Quote:
Chose Chicago for its ideological balance, yeah?

My home teacher is a recent Chicago law grad and a patent lawye. He did computer science as an undergrad at the Y.

The best part of Chicago law is that they mix economic analysis with EVERY COURSE. That is where the law and economics field was founded.
Ideology wasn't really much of a deciding factor, to be honest. Chicago reportedly leans right and NYU left, but both schools insisted that they go to what lengths they can to ensure a balanced perspective, and I have no reason not to believe that they're telling the truth.

I did like the fact that Chicago has a smaller class size; 200 students per class, compared to NYU's 450. Mostly, I liked the feel of the school. I walked around the campus of the university and thought to myself, "So THIS is what a real university looks like." Ivy covered walls, vaunted halls and gothic architecture-- it just feels like you're going to a world-class institution. The guys at NYU would point out that NYU is as good as any school out there, and so I might as well go live in New York City. They're probably right. But while NYU is as good as anybody else, Chicago is like nobody else.

Plus, Notre Dame is less than an hour away by train. I've got a buddy who says he'll get me a ticket.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:21 AM   #98
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Psst. Hello? Kim Clark, HBS Dean? The best economists teach at Business Schools cuz they pay more. Clark is an economist. Bateman himself was at the upper echelons of M&M Mars before BYU pulled him for the business school. Also an economist, MIT bred.

We send someone to the top program, MIT or Chicago every year, which should be our primary aim as a teaching school.

Archaea's next predictable response..."Talk to me when BYU becomes Ivy League."
You don't get it. BYU has some great students but we don't have many great programs.

So BYU doesn't have a name in much of anything and with its student body and potential for endowment it should. We need more Ira Fultons before that will happen.

Bateman did more to stifle true economic freedom than anybody since Ernie Wilkinson with his famous student spy network.

Samuelson hasn't done anything to foster it either.

BYU is failing in becoming a great university which is its rightful place in society. And it's due to the parochial and provincial attitude of its administrators.

You may be pleased as BYU lauds itself, but I am not. What's wrong with alumnae wanting BYU to be perceived on par with the Ivy League. It's not likely to happen in my lifetime or in yours, but what's wrong with that as a goal? I get the idea Samuelson's goal is to make it on par with UVSC.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:27 PM   #99
ChinoCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
You don't get it. BYU has some great students but we don't have many great programs.
If you don't need to know BYU has great students, don't ask me for them.

Quote:
Bateman did more to stifle true economic freedom than anybody since Ernie Wilkinson with his famous student spy network.

Samuelson hasn't done anything to foster it either.
true economic freedom? wtf?

Quote:
What's wrong with alumnae wanting BYU to be perceived on par with the Ivy League. It's not likely to happen in my lifetime or in yours, but what's wrong with that as a goal? I get the idea Samuelson's goal is to make it on par with UVSC.
You liberal arts softies need to look at the data. Our rankings have been on an upward climb since Bateman took over. It's dropped in the last couple of years, but rankings are a noisy time series.

Becoming ivy league is a waste of resources. That's not what we're designed to do. You can use a spoon to dig a tunnel from England to France if you want. We will always be known as a brand name feeder to the best grad programs.

There hasn't been censorship, except in the religion department, or maybe in some humanities department college raters don't care about. But it's irrelevant anyway; there are so many obstacles to uncovering truth in the humanities, academic freedom isn't' gonna make a difference.

You the take the lid off censorship in order to get better professors, and you'll lose your identity like every other religious university in this country has.
Old 07-09-2009, 08:54 PM   #100
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
If you don't need to know BYU has great students, don't ask me for them.

true economic freedom? wtf?

You liberal arts softies need to look at the data. Our rankings have been on an upward climb since Bateman took over. It's dropped in the last couple of years, but rankings are a noisy time series.

Becoming ivy league is a waste of resources. That's not what we're designed to do. You can use a spoon to dig a tunnel from England to France if you want. We will always be known as a brand name feeder to the best grad programs.

There hasn't been censorship, except in the religion department, or maybe in some humanities department college raters don't care about. But it's irrelevant anyway; there are so many obstacles to uncovering truth in the humanities, academic freedom isn't' gonna make a difference.

You the take the lid off censorship in order to get better professors, and you'll lose your identity like every other religious university in this country has.

It's risen but it's fallen recently. Nice spin, Mr. Mullah.

If we're not a top ten in all departments we choose to field, what are we doing having such a department?