cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2006, 04:02 PM   #1
Robin

Robin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default One of my problems with God.

Dennis McKinsey:

If God kills, lies, cheats, discriminates, and otherwise behaves in a manner that puts the Mafia to shame, that's okay, he's God. He can do whatever he wants. Anyone who adheres to this philosophy has had his sense of morality, decency, justice and humaneness warped beyond recognition by the very book that is supposedly preaching the opposite.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 04:22 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: One of my problems with God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin
Dennis McKinsey:

If God kills, lies, cheats, discriminates, and otherwise behaves in a manner that puts the Mafia to shame, that's okay, he's God. He can do whatever he wants. Anyone who adheres to this philosophy has had his sense of morality, decency, justice and humaneness warped beyond recognition by the very book that is supposedly preaching the opposite.
Is that a problem with God or those that profess to follow him?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 04:35 PM   #3
Robin

Default Re: One of my problems with God.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug
Quote:
Dennis McKinsey:

Is that a problem with God or those that profess to follow him?
I don't claim to know the true nature of God. What I know is that I feel a personal moral obligation to reject the 'gods' of most organized religions and the Bible.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:42 PM   #4
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Robin,

Do you attend Church services at any organized-religion type Church? Just curious.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 04:48 PM   #5
Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick It In Him
Robin,

Do you attend Church services at any organized-religion type Church? Just curious.
Of course not.

I have a lot of respect for the communites that often develop around churches, other than the benefits of community, church is for the birds.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:05 PM   #6
Robin

I should add a bit more...

Community is the part of church that I miss. It is what I valued most from church. But there are other good aspects of church --

-- for people who don't have the time or patience to work out their own moral and ethical codes, the orthodoxy of organized religion is often a sufficient crutch to help them behave civilized.
Old 03-25-2006, 05:11 PM   #7
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I should add a bit more...

Community is the part of church that I miss. It is what I valued most from church. But there are other good aspects of church --

-- for people who don't have the time or patience to work out their own moral and ethical codes, the orthodoxy of organized religion is often a sufficient crutch to help them behave civilized.
Nice.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote