cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2008, 04:14 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Our Shakespeares and Miltons

I've kind of given up on that.

Sure SU, has written a novel, but I don't think he even qualifies as Mormon at this point.

Neil Labute basically got booted out, and I dare say he is overrated.

OSC scares the ants out of my pants.

No, I will be satisfied with our Stephanie Meyerses.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:11 PM   #2
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Bloom says that great literature emanates from a "misreading" of a literary or religious tradition (it's important to recognize that he sees an estuary or no clear demarcation between those two traditions). This means that your Milton or Shakespeare may have to endure excommunication and being labeled an apostate. People think of Tolstoy and Dostoevsky as the great religious novlists; they wrestled with Christian theology as literary themes. Most people would see them as deeply spiritual artists whose works consciously rebelled against atheism and anti-Christianity. Yet Tolstoy's church excommunicated him and Dostoevsky was personal non grata in it.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 11-20-2008 at 05:23 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 05:24 PM   #3
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

OSC writes essentially YA fantasy adventure stories. Waters notes his ultra-conservativism. But does anyone foresee him ever being called as a GA?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:38 PM   #4
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I've kind of given up on that.

Sure SU, has written a novel, but I don't think he even qualifies as Mormon at this point.

Neil Labute basically got booted out, and I dare say he is overrated.

OSC scares the ants out of my pants.

No, I will be satisfied with our Stephanie Meyerses.
Brandon Sanderson. In the fantasy genre, he's a true up and comer, and he's landed one of the plum assignments in the entire genre.

Robert Jordan was one of the pre-eminent fantasy epic authors, with his 10- or 11-volume Wheel of Time series, one of the great fantasy series of all time. He died while writing the long-awaited final volume, and Brandon Sanderson has been tapped to complete it for him. That's a HUGE deal for him, and it's likely going to vault him into OSC-type recognition.

And I know you don't like OSC's politics (neither do I), but he's one of the pre-eminent science fiction authors out there.

Yes, they're in the nerdy genres, but both Sanderson and OSC are (or soon will be) huge names within their genres. And both are outstanding writers.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:41 PM   #5
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
OSC writes essentially YA fantasy adventure stories. Waters notes his ultra-conservativism. But does anyone foresee him ever being called as a GA?
Disagree with the "YA fantasy adventure stories" - Yes, there are some of his books that appeal to the younger audience, but he's written some very complex and mature novels, as well.

Shoot - my 10-year-old is reading an Isaac Asimov novel right now, and he's one of the SF greats.

Now, if he started a Robert Heinlein book, I'd have to intervene. Those are a little too "adult" for him.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 08:05 PM   #6
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
Disagree with the "YA fantasy adventure stories" - Yes, there are some of his books that appeal to the younger audience, but he's written some very complex and mature novels, as well.

Shoot - my 10-year-old is reading an Isaac Asimov novel right now, and he's one of the SF greats.

Now, if he started a Robert Heinlein book, I'd have to intervene. Those are a little too "adult" for him.
Why?

Which of OSC's books is the one with the intelligent monkey?