cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-2006, 02:38 PM   #1
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The church needs to issue an EZ pass for members who

visit church sites. I went to the Hill Cumorah a few years back and stated from the moment we walked in the door that we were LDS and in a hurry. I had to listen to the missionary presentation anyway as my very friendly missionary guide forgot what I'd told him about my religious affiliation (twice). This weekend I took the family to Temple Square. To avoid being taught a first discussion I dressed my entire family in BYU gear. The wife is also pregnant and showing. I figured that this was as close to an EZ pass as one could get. Did it work? No. We were stopped by every missionary we passed.

I was this close to trying a jedi mind trick, "this is not the family you're looking for (wave of SteelBlue's hand)". Next we moved on to the Headquarters building for a view from the roof. I told the guide that we were an LDS family about to depart the city but wanted the kids to see the valley from the observation deck. My guide said he'd take us up but hoped we'd listen to a message after we returned to the lobby.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:59 PM   #2
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

I was just at Disney World and now they have a program called "Fast Pass" (It has probably been around forever and I just experienced it) Where you essentially schedule a time to ride a popular roller coaster sometime a few hours from the time you schedule and you are allowed to go right to the front of the line.

This could be an excellent idea for church sites...you skip the speech and the missionaries don't waste their time converting people who are already interested.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:02 PM   #3
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

I go to Nauvoo fairly often and missionaries frequently acost me. Maybe I look evil with a beard. I tell my wife that the next time it happens I'll pretend to be an investigator with difficult questions. She gives me ~the look~.

Seriously, though, it makes me wonder if they're aren't alot of people of other faiths (or of no faith) coming to the sites. I don't really think so. Maybe missionaries go ahead with their presentation for practice (and for a little "perfecting of the Saints).
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 04:53 PM   #4
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

After a temple square missionary stops you and goes through the whole ordeal (pretending to befriend you, pretending to care where you are from and what you are doing there........and then bugging you to give her a referral), she ought to give you a wristband or a gold star on your forehead, so the other sisters know you were already preyed upon. It's so irritating when I go to the visitors center just to look around, and every time I turn a corner, a new missionary scurries in front of me to go through the same process.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 07:22 PM   #5
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Just one thought on the whole subject ... give'm a freaking break will ya! They are simply doing what they have been asked to do ... many people likely pittied you goofs while you were simply doing what you had been asked to do on your mission ;-)

Oh wait, I've got one more thought ... my sister in-law's first contact with the church was at Temple Square while on a cross country road trip with her mother ... she filled out a referal card for herself. A couple of weeks after she arrived home in Toronto, missionaries followed up on the referal, ... she joined the church and is an awsome sister in-law. I'm grateful the missionaries on Temple Square encouraged her to fill out the card!
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 10:42 AM   #6
realtall

realtall is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to realtall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ
I go to Nauvoo fairly often and missionaries frequently acost me. Maybe I look evil with a beard. I tell my wife that the next time it happens I'll pretend to be an investigator with difficult questions. She gives me ~the look~.

Seriously, though, it makes me wonder if they're aren't alot of people of other faiths (or of no faith) coming to the sites. I don't really think so. Maybe missionaries go ahead with their presentation for practice (and for a little "perfecting of the Saints).
Its all about the numbers. More discussions, more patrons = better numbers = 'attaboy' from the zl. They are probably told that their numbers have to increase and then set goals to do it.