cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2007, 01:31 AM   #1
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point
Default self tuning guitar

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071203/...QK7UITPoOs0NUE

How cool is this?
Old 12-04-2007, 01:34 AM   #2
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
That is cool. On the other hand, its sort of like the Lexus that parks itself.

I can tune a guitar better than any machine. As a matter of fact, I have never used a tuner than I didn't think made the B just a hair sharp. I always flatten it a little. Am I nuts or has anyone else noticed this?
Old 12-04-2007, 01:39 AM   #3
creekster

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post

I can tune a guitar better than any machine. As a matter of fact, I have never used a tuner than I didn't think made the B just a hair sharp. I always flatten it a little. Am I nuts or has anyone else noticed this?
It's not the B that's sharp, it's the G that's flat. Getting the overtones lined up on the G string (no jokes here, please) is very difficult. Usually you here it tuned witht he D but it will sound flat next to the B. THis is a problem for all guitars. In fact, look at your bridge on your acoustic, there is a good chance that the bridge will be raised a little for just the G string, which is to try to avoid the harmonics problem.

Unlike you, I trust a good tuner over my ear all the time, expecially before a gig.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:46 AM   #4
UtahDan

Quote:
It's not the B that's sharp, it's the G that's flat. Getting the overtones lined up on the G string (no jokes here, please) is very difficult. Usually you here it tuned witht he D but it will sound flat next to the B. THis is a problem for all guitars. In fact, look at your bridge on your acoustic, there is a good chance that the bridge will be raised a little for just the G string, which is to try to avoid the harmonics problem.

Unlike you, I trust a good tuner over my ear all the time, expecially before a gig.
That is interesting. The truth is that I use the built in tuner on my acoustic/electric to tune and it does it by string (obviously). Even so, the B still sounds sharp. I also have the problem that while the low E sounds right open, even one fret up it sounds sharp so I usually leave it a bit flat. Maybe my ear is just defective.

For some reason, if I can make it sound right when I play a C chord, I know I have it in tune the way I like it.

Unlike you, I don't play gigs. Haven't in many years. Sometimes I think it would be fun to do a little half hour set at a coffee house nearby, but I haven't worked up the gumption to do it.

PS I will try sharpening the G up to see if that makes a difference. Thanks for the tip.

Last edited by UtahDan; 12-04-2007 at 01:52 AM.
UtahDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:51 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I tune my bass and my son's guitar by ear, though I use the piano to tune the E string and go from there.

I trust my ear over a tuner.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:56 AM   #6
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Unlike you, I don't play gigs. Haven't in many years. Sometimes I think it would be fun to do a little half hour set at a coffee house nearby, but I haven't worked up the gumption to do it.
Somehow this reminds me of a piece I saw on one of those newsmagazine shows, like Dateline NBC. They arranged for a famous violinist to stand on the Washington Mall near a Metro station (lots of foot traffic) and filmed the people walking by to see if anyone would notice. It took quite awhile before anyone stopped to listen for free to a guy that they'd have to pay big bucks to hear in a concert hall. Here's a story in the Washington Post about the experiment...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...040401721.html
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 01:56 AM   #7
creekster

Quote:
That is interesting. The truth is that I use the built in tuner on my acoustic/electric to tune and it does it by string (obviously). Even so, the B still sounds sharp. I also have the problem that while the low E sounds right open, even one fret up it sounds sharp so I usually leave it a bit flat. Maybe my ear is just defective.

For some reason, if I can make it sound right when I play a C chord, I know I have it in tune the way I like it.

THat's the problem with the G. Even though it is in tune (whetehr by ear or by electronics) it will sound out against either the D or the B, but especially the B. If you have a string that is tuned while open but is out as you go up the neck, that can be sign of a warped neck or out of adjsutment frets. I always prefer to play an E chord to see how it sounds, just becasue the traditional open tuning is really based in E and you can strum all 6 strings with the root where it should be, as oppsoed to a typical open C where you get a third (or maybe a fifth) in the bottom, but a C chord can work just as well.

Just before a gig one is too worried abotu too much to try to hear cleanly whether you are in tune (at least for the gigs that I ususally do) but as soon as you start you can ALWAYS tell if you are out of tune, and it sucks when you are.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:02 AM   #8
UtahDan

Quote:
THat's the problem with the G. Even though it is in tune (whetehr by ear or by electronics) it will sound out against either the D or the B, but especially the B. If you have a string that is tuned while open but is out as you go up the neck, that can be sign of a warped neck or out of adjsutment frets. I always prefer to play an E chord to see how it sounds, just becasue the traditional open tuning is really based in E and you can strum all 6 strings with the root where it should be, as oppsoed to a typical open C where you get a third (or maybe a fifth) in the bottom, but a C chord can work just as well.

Just before a gig one is too worried abotu too much to try to hear cleanly whether you are in tune (at least for the gigs that I ususally do) but as soon as you start you can ALWAYS tell if you are out of tune, and it sucks when you are.
Do you play alone or with others?
Old 12-04-2007, 02:13 AM   #9
creekster

Quote:
Do you play alone or with others?
WHy do I feel like I am getting set up here?

Both. These days more often alone, and in support of a dance group. In the past more often with a group in a variety of settings. Do not be misled, however. I am not very good, just ewilling to play.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:14 AM   #10
UtahDan

Quote:
WHy do I feel like I am getting set up here?

Both. These days more often alone, and in support of a dance group. In the past more often with a group in a variety of settings. Do not be misled, however. I am not very good, just ewilling to play.
Why would I set you up? Just curious is all. I think it sounds like fun.