cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2008, 04:05 AM   #11
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
That was great. Is the audio available from after the call? Jim generally talks about the call and his thoughts after the guest hangs up. What did he have to say?
He had two or three interviews after that, so I don't think he said a whole lot. Plus, he replayed an interview with Kobe in the first hour so the conversation would likely have been more about that.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 04:08 AM   #12
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default He made up for it when he said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I liked him up until the time he challenged a call in the Washington game. What a jerk.
"I normally don't keep a guest on that long but you EARNED it". That's quite the compliment.
Old 09-18-2008, 01:03 PM   #13
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
He had two or three interviews after that, so I don't think he said a whole lot. Plus, he replayed an interview with Kobe in the first hour so the conversation would likely have been more about that.
That's too bad. I would have guessed the faxes and emails would have gone crazy over his "no premarital sex" quote and that several cracks would have been made about it, especially with Kobe on the same day.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 05:35 PM   #14
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Just listened to the interview. YOhio, thanks for the link. I'm getting caught up on BYU stuff today. Darn work has been getting in the way lately.

I didn't like the interview. I really don't like the positioning of BYU as the place where mediocre yet super righteous athletes come and get overcoached to a quality football team. I don't think it's accurate. And I don't think it is the best recruiting pitch.

On the plus one non-BCS game, I like it as a short term solution. I want a playoff. But it's not a bad idea. The only bad thing would be if there was a requirement to share all the BCS revenue with every non-BCS conference.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 05:42 PM   #15
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I ust listened to Bronco's interview on Jim Rome. What a guy. I think I have a man crush.
Sing a hymn, brother.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:52 PM   #16
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

i appreciate what bronco is saying b/c byu does have good kids playing.

but i get very sick of hearing how much more special byu's students are - just b/c they are mormon kids who are married and have served missions doesn't make them better than other kids at other schools.

a few of the attorney's at my firm recently really offended another attorney who attended west point. they were stating that byu has different and better caliber of students than other colleges. the lds guys were really ripping on (even though we weren't talking about the U at that time), but their comments were self-righteous and pompous.

bronco came across as self-righteous and even gimmicky with his "slogans" talk... i was starting to like him because i was buying into the impression that he wasn't drinking this koolaid - that he was a football coach and this "quest for perfection" stuff was just him playing to the LDS leaders at the school and big donors that wanted to hear that stuff.

unfortunately, all that interview did for me was to prove that he really is as big of a homer as he sounds.
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 05:54 PM   #17
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post

unfortunately, all that interview did for me was to prove that he really is as big of a homer as he sounds.

You should let him know. I am sure he will care.

Why that sounds harsh, my point is it works for him now. If it stops working, the approach will change.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:21 PM   #18
OrangeUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
You should let him know. I am sure he will care.

Why that sounds harsh, my point is it works for him now. If it stops working, the approach will change.
i know he won't care, duh. to go on a national talk-show and spout off the same stuff, with the same vigor as he does to the local media, seems proof enough to me that bronco is as lame as he sounds. i doubt his approach will change, but i hope you're right b/c it's embarassing, in my opinion.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:23 PM   #19
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
i know he won't care, duh. to go on a national talk-show and spout off the same stuff, with the same vigor as he does to the local media, seems proof enough to me that bronco is as lame as he sounds. i doubt his approach will change, but i hope you're right b/c it's embarassing, in my opinion.
He should give it up because it's obvious it's not working for him.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 06:24 PM   #20
OrangeUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I didn't like the interview. I really don't like the positioning of BYU as the place where mediocre yet super righteous athletes come and get overcoached to a quality football team. I don't think it's accurate. And I don't think it is the best recruiting pitch.
i agree with you on this jay. it would have been better if bronco had said that byu has great athletes and left the super righteous babble out of the interview. byu is beating the shit out of people right now because they are well coached, prepared, and they have excellent athletes.