cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2008, 09:23 PM   #21
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I know I've sounded like a broken record, but can someone explain to me exactly with ZERO experience at QB, and none that have been recruited to run the Rich Rodriguez offense,,,,how Michigan is going to score on a pretty dang good Utah defense?

I won't care if Utah loses,,,in fact I'll laugh if they do, but this is a very winnable game for them. Unless Michigan scores on Defense and/or Special Teams I think Utah wins and it won't be an upset if they do.

Utah 23
Michigan 12
Old 08-28-2008, 09:32 PM   #22
Rickomatic

Rickomatic

Amazing things can happen at home. Michigan does have talent. But talent is not everything. They will need time to develop into Richie's system. But again, playing in the big house will keep it close JMHO.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest."

Mark Twain
Rickomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:37 PM   #23
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Utah 20
UM 17

Low scoring game with the kicking game making the difference.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:52 PM   #24
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

utah 14-10
Old 08-29-2008, 03:33 PM   #25
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I know I've sounded like a broken record, but can someone explain to me exactly with ZERO experience at QB, and none that have been recruited to run the Rich Rodriguez offense,,,,how Michigan is going to score on a pretty dang good Utah defense?

I won't care if Utah loses,,,in fact I'll laugh if they do, but this is a very winnable game for them. Unless Michigan scores on Defense and/or Special Teams I think Utah wins and it won't be an upset if they do.

Utah 23
Michigan 12
Michigan has athletes thats the bottom line, no matter what system you run athletes make plays.

Look at the past 3 years recruiting:

Brandon Minor- 4 star recruit
Carlos Brown- 4 star recruit
- Both will play a lot at running back.

Tony Clemons
Zion Babb
J.R. Hemingway
- all 4 star receiver recruits, Hemingway is a stud and will be a handful for any secondary.

Martavius Odoms- legit 4.4 receiver
Michael Shaw- one of the biggest running back recruits in the country will play RB and slot receiver
Sam Mcguffie- we have all seen his highlight videos he is unbelievable and has been stellar during camp so far.

Daryl Stonum- 4 star wideout that played in the US army all-american game, ran a sub 4.4 during camp.

Steven Threet who is competing for the starting QB job was the #9 QB in the country according to rivals and a 4 star recruit.

You also seem to be forgetting that Michigan has one of the best defenses in teh Big 10 if not the country. I think people are underrated them a little bit.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:20 PM   #26
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Michigan has athletes thats the bottom line, no matter what system you run athletes make plays.

Look at the past 3 years recruiting:

Brandon Minor- 4 star recruit
Carlos Brown- 4 star recruit
- Both will play a lot at running back.

Tony Clemons
Zion Babb
J.R. Hemingway
- all 4 star receiver recruits, Hemingway is a stud and will be a handful for any secondary.

Martavius Odoms- legit 4.4 receiver
Michael Shaw- one of the biggest running back recruits in the country will play RB and slot receiver
Sam Mcguffie- we have all seen his highlight videos he is unbelievable and has been stellar during camp so far.

Daryl Stonum- 4 star wideout that played in the US army all-american game, ran a sub 4.4 during camp.

Steven Threet who is competing for the starting QB job was the #9 QB in the country according to rivals and a 4 star recruit.

You also seem to be forgetting that Michigan has one of the best defenses in teh Big 10 if not the country. I think people are underrated them a little bit.
The talent they have certainly hasn't translated to their on field performance during the Lloyd Carr era.

Will that change in the Rodriguez era? Yeah probably,,,but it isn't going to happen overnight.

Michigan will have a pretty good defense, but one of the best in the country? Sorry, but I disagree with that...it's a defense that last year gave up larege chunks of points against the teams they played with Spread Offenses. Last year they gave up 39, 34 and 35 points to teams that ran the spread.

I don't care how many stars of a QB Steven Threet is...the fact is the guy hasn't taken a D-I snap and isn't a spread option QB. He is not the right QB for that system. The only way Michigan wins tomorrow is if they can exploit the middle of Utah's Defense and are able to control the clock and chew up yardage on the ground.

I won't be shocked if Michigan wins tomorrow, because like Bronco, KWhit has yet to prove his teams can beat a mediocre BCS team on the road.

But I will say that if Michigan scores more than 17 points tomorrow I will be surprised. You can have all the athletes in the world, but if they don't have a QB that can run that complicated of a system,,, then it simply won't matter as much. Not too mention their O-line is in a world of hurt. Who cares if their Wide Receivers are studs if they don't have a QB that can get them ball?

And It will not be an upset if Utah wins.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 08-29-2008 at 05:25 PM.
RockyBalboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:41 PM   #27
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Utah: 21
UM: 17
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:40 PM   #28
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Utah 23
Michigan 13

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:45 PM   #29
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
The talent they have certainly hasn't translated to their on field performance during the Lloyd Carr era.

Will that change in the Rodriguez era? Yeah probably,,,but it isn't going to happen overnight.

Michigan will have a pretty good defense, but one of the best in the country? Sorry, but I disagree with that...it's a defense that last year gave up larege chunks of points against the teams they played with Spread Offenses. Last year they gave up 39, 34 and 35 points to teams that ran the spread.

I don't care how many stars of a QB Steven Threet is...the fact is the guy hasn't taken a D-I snap and isn't a spread option QB. He is not the right QB for that system. The only way Michigan wins tomorrow is if they can exploit the middle of Utah's Defense and are able to control the clock and chew up yardage on the ground.

I won't be shocked if Michigan wins tomorrow, because like Bronco, KWhit has yet to prove his teams can beat a mediocre BCS team on the road.

But I will say that if Michigan scores more than 17 points tomorrow I will be surprised. You can have all the athletes in the world, but if they don't have a QB that can run that complicated of a system,,, then it simply won't matter as much. Not too mention their O-line is in a world of hurt. Who cares if their Wide Receivers are studs if they don't have a QB that can get them ball?

And It will not be an upset if Utah wins.
People were saying the same things about Urban Meyer's arrival in Utah. How did Utah do in their first season? Michigan's talent is greater this year than Utah's talent in year 1 under Urban. I think comparing Urban and RR is a fair comparison. I think Michigan will surprise people that are expecting them to be mediocre. Rich Rodriguez is a major improvement over Carr and people will see it even in his first year.

Utah keeps it close, but Michigan will win a close one in the end. Just my opinion.
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:59 PM   #30
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
People were saying the same things about Urban Meyer's arrival in Utah. How did Utah do in their first season? Michigan's talent is greater this year than Utah's talent in year 1 under Urban. I think comparing Urban and RR is a fair comparison. I think Michigan will surprise people that are expecting them to be mediocre. Rich Rodriguez is a major improvement over Carr and people will see it even in his first year.

Utah keeps it close, but Michigan will win a close one in the end. Just my opinion.
Hey I already said I won't be surprised if Michigan wins.

How did Rich Rodriguez do in his 1st year at West Virginia? 3-8.