cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2008, 03:53 PM   #1
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road
Default Wide Receiver Two-Deep

Who do you think will be on the WR two-deep in fall? Obviously Collie and Reed will be the big two, but who will be the next two? Chambers? Ashworth? Hafoka? White? Kozlowski?

Also, I assume that Mahuika will get most of the available snaps at the slot that aren't taken by the TEs (who I assume will take most). Who will be behind him? Probably doesn't matter too much, since Mahuika only got one reception last year, and will probably be in single digits again, even with the swtch of So'oto.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:20 PM   #2
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

IIRC, there was a lot of Ashworth hype coming out of HS. I don't see him making a real impact this year so fresh from his mission.

The only other one I can identify is Reed White. He got a little PT last year but I don't know much about him.

Did Mahuiku really only get one reception last year? Probably one too many, though he was clutch in the 06 Utah game.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:41 PM   #3
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Frank Ryan is on a distinguished road

Landon Jaussi maybe?

-- Ken Loach
Frank Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:06 PM   #4
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Per a player I spoke with, he thinks Ashworth is going to be very good, He also said Mike Reed (sorry byutexan) is in trouble with his spot because of Ashworth and Chambers.

So I would expect it to be

Collie, Reed and Pitta to start but Chambers, Ashworth, Hafoka and George will see lots of time. The other guys that we have been hearing about on the practice squad for years, will continue to be practice squad players.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:09 PM   #5
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

The early buzz leads me to say Luke Ashworth - I think Bronco said he's come back from his mission in the best physical shape, second only to Fui. He seems to be making an impact in the first two days of spring ball (according to Gman).

The other backup is wide open, I believe. If O'neill Chambers lives up to the hype, I wouldn't be surprised to see him getting some time by mid-season - Bronco's not afraid to play freshman WR's.

I don't know that anyone else has distinguished himself.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:12 PM   #6
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
IIRC, there was a lot of Ashworth hype coming out of HS. I don't see him making a real impact this year so fresh from his mission.

The only other one I can identify is Reed White. He got a little PT last year but I don't know much about him.

Did Mahuiku really only get one reception last year? Probably one too many, though he was clutch in the 06 Utah game.
Note - this is for Spring, so some players will end up on the practice squad (Matt marshall?).

Ashworth has been impressive, according to Mendenhall.

http://byu.scout.com/2/738723.html

Says he's not quite as ready physically as Fui was, but is a close second.

1st string: Collie, Reed, (Mahuika at H-receiver, if they bring it back)
In competition for 2nd string/3rd string: Ryan Neely, Landon Jaussi, Tyler Koz, Reed White, Luke Ashworth, Spencer Hafoka, Matt Marshall.

Would not be surprised by Ashworth and/or Hafoka reshirting.
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:47 PM   #7
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Note - this is for Spring, so some players will end up on the practice squad (Matt marshall?).

Ashworth has been impressive, according to Mendenhall.

http://byu.scout.com/2/738723.html

Says he's not quite as ready physically as Fui was, but is a close second.

1st string: Collie, Reed, (Mahuika at H-receiver, if they bring it back)
In competition for 2nd string/3rd string: Ryan Neely, Landon Jaussi, Tyler Koz, Reed White, Luke Ashworth, Spencer Hafoka, Matt Marshall.

Would not be surprised by Ashworth and/or Hafoka reshirting.
Ashworth will 100% not redshirt unless he gets injured. Now Hafoka and/or Chambers are RS possibilities.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:24 AM   #8
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

When I saw some HS film, I was pretty excited about Spencer Hafoka. He was taller and very fluid, and pretty fast. Granted, it was HS film of him, but in comparison to other players, he was one that I came away impressed with, more so than Ashworth based on what I saw.

Ashworth also had some good moments his Freshman year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him play this year, especially if he is in as good of shape as is being reported. While our WRs aren't All-Americans (with the possible exceptions of Collie, and Pitta) we've got good depth.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:52 AM   #9
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
When I saw some HS film, I was pretty excited about Spencer Hafoka. He was taller and very fluid, and pretty fast. Granted, it was HS film of him, but in comparison to other players, he was one that I came away impressed with, more so than Ashworth based on what I saw.

Ashworth also had some good moments his Freshman year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him play this year, especially if he is in as good of shape as is being reported. While our WRs aren't All-Americans (with the possible exceptions of Collie, and Pitta) we've got good depth.
Hafoka's high school films were great. His signing was considered to be at least on the level of signing a McKay Jacobsen. Back when he signed he was considered one of the best gets of that class.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:16 PM   #10
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Was it Spencer who's supposed to be better than Saia, or was it the other way around?

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote