cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2008, 02:49 AM   #21
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
You are thinking of McGill not Burden
NO, I was thinking of Burden. I never saw McGill play and he played for Gardner not Pimm. As you see, Burden averaged 28.7 ppg his junion year (I was a couple of points off). If you Google you see he was over 30 one year in the ABA.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:54 AM   #22
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
NO, I was thinking of Burden. I never saw McGill play and he played for Gardner not Pimm. As you see, Burden averaged 28.7 ppg his junion year (I was a couple of points off). If you Google you see he was over 30 one year in the ABA.
Moreover, as you see Burden was 1st team AP all-American his junior year. ANd he's not on that team? And his jersey isn't retired? And you think Jensen is better than he was? You know, if I were a black I'm not sure I'd want to go to the U of U.

—Paul Auster
Old 02-14-2008, 02:54 AM   #23
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
then we got lucky the same way with McGill

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/playof...ory?id=1549466

Billy McGill went on to become a legend. Starring as few ever had in Los Angeles, he was pegged to land among the best of the very best and certainly would have had it not been for a fateful game in his junior year. Still at Jefferson High, in a game one winter against Fremont High, Billy soared high above the crowd in the rarified air that only he could travel in. But then he tumbled to the floor, writhing in pain and clutching his knee. The doctors told him that he would never play again. They wanted to operate and give him an iron kneecap. Billy was scared and wouldn't let them proceed. He never told anyone else about his sore knee or about how its limitations changed the future of his game. The knee, constantly swollen, had to be drained daily for years by a doctor who was sworn to secrecy. This did not stop McGill from earning a basketball scholarship to the University of Utah as the first African-American to ever play for the former Runnin' Redskins (now known as the Utes).
Old 02-14-2008, 02:57 AM   #24
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm far from what could be termed a "knowleable fan" when it comes to Ute hoops, but that team with Josh Grant, Paul Afeaki, Jimmy Soto, McKay McGrath, and Walt Watts damn near made a Ute fan out of me. Fortunately my foray into Ute fandom was tempered by a certain Heisman-winning quarterback from San Antonio, Texas and all his glorious feats on the football field. I could not bring myself to wear blue in the fall and red in the winter.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 02:59 AM   #25
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Moreover, as you see Burden was 1st team AP all-American his junior year. ANd he's not on that team? And his jersey isn't retired? And you think Jensen is better than he was? You know, if I were a black I'm not sure I'd want to go to the U of U.
All you are focusing on is the scoring... Wikipedia list his D as crappy.

"in the 77-78 season Knicks coach Willis Reed became frustrated with Burden's lack of defensive play,"

Additionally you don't retire people in trouble with the law regardless of their race...

Of course didnt McGill have some trouble too? So what do I know?
Old 02-14-2008, 03:54 AM   #26
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Jensen was a great role player, not all-century status. But Utah fans rate him way above Andre Miller in polls. Miller was almost solely responsible for Utah's Final Two run. It's not hard to see why the average Ute fan favors Jensen. He reminds them of thesemves. It's kind of disgusting.
You're speaking to my soul. Miller made those teams. He was great, if not the greatest Ute. Huge drop off after he left.

Did Vranes make the team? (I guess I should take a look) I never quite understood all the love for Vranes. Sure, big leaper and all, but Chambers had offensive skills all over him. sadly, that team choked, losing to NC in Salt Lake City in the tourney.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 03:57 AM   #27
SeattleUte

Quote:

"in the 77-78 season Knicks coach Willis Reed became frustrated with Burden's lack of defensive play,"

Additionally you don't retire people in trouble with the law regardless of their race...

Of course didnt McGill have some trouble too? So what do I know?
His conviction was overturned, but you think he must have been guilty. Right? Because why? Let me guess. Showing your true colors.

Moreover, "As of 2003, Burden was living in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, a father of five, and operating a financial management group." What happened to redemption? As far as I'm concerned what he's doing is more honorable than what Bogut is doing (playing in the NBA).

—Paul Auster
Old 02-14-2008, 04:02 AM   #28
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
You're speaking to my soul. Miller made those teams. He was great, if not the greatest Ute. Huge drop off after he left.

Did Vranes make the team? (I guess I should take a look) I never quite understood all the love for Vranes. Sure, big leaper and all, but Chambers had offensive skills all over him. sadly, that team choked, losing to NC in Salt Lake City in the tourney.
They selected Vranes over Chambers on the first team. I'd reverse it.
Old 02-14-2008, 04:04 AM   #29
SeattleUte

Quote:
Do you know who wrote that Wiki article? JazzyUte. That's all I'll say about that.

Again, he was First Team AP All-American, one of the five best players in the country his junior year. And Jensen makes the team and he doesn't. Jensen was never even the best player in the MWC or his team. It's ridiculous.

—Paul Auster
Old 02-14-2008, 02:16 PM   #30
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
They selected Vranes over Chambers on the first team. I'd reverse it.
That is freaky. Vranes was all everything since he was a sophomore in high school (Skyline I think) and I don't think the local population ever got over the love affair. I don't recall him ever having a real offensive move. It was all athleticism.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.

Last edited by myboynoah; 02-14-2008 at 02:53 PM.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote