cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If BYU was undefeated this year would they play in the MNC game?
Yes 12 35.29%
No 22 64.71%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2007, 05:13 AM   #41
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
They were robbed of the chance to see how good they really were. That is the problem. If the BCS was so confident that USC would have beat Utah in '04 or Florida would have beat BSU last year, why not let them play and prove it?
Because, it wasnt about Utah and SC. It was about SC, Oklahoma, and Auburn all being undefeated and having played a better schedule. A playoff would have been fun, but Utah was not going to beat 2 of those three teams en route to a championship.

I agree that a playoff is more exciting. I am also of the opinion that we play in a really crappy conference, which will always come back to haunt us in the bowl season. If BYU, Auburn, Oklahoma, and SC are all undefeated, I am not going to scratch my head and wonder why the Y doesnt get to play in the championship game when we had to plow through UNLV, CSU, New Mexico, Wyoming, and Air Force to get there. As a fan, I will be pissed. But as an objective observer, I just dont see any good reason to argue otherwise.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:19 AM   #42
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Because, it wasnt about Utah and SC. It was about SC, Oklahoma, and Auburn all being undefeated and having played a better schedule. A playoff would have been fun, but Utah was not going to beat 2 of those three teams en route to a championship.

I agree that a playoff is more exciting. I am also of the opinion that we play in a really crappy conference, which will always come back to haunt us in the bowl season. If BYU, Auburn, Oklahoma, and SC are all undefeated, I am not going to scratch my head and wonder why the Y doesnt get to play in the championship game when we had to plow through UNLV, CSU, New Mexico, Wyoming, and Air Force to get there. As a fan, I will be pissed. But as an objective observer, I just dont see any good reason to argue otherwise.
I can agree that it was about USC, OK and Auburn, because the BCS said they were better. I would have been happier had the BCS sent Utah to the Sugar Bowl to play Auburn, but those folks didn't have the guts to do that.

The BCS are pussies. They don't want to give anyone other than their own to prove that they belong in their little game.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:26 AM   #43
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
I can agree that it was about USC, OK and Auburn, because the BCS said they were better. I would have been happier had the BCS sent Utah to the Sugar Bowl to play Auburn, but those folks didn't have the guts to do that.

The BCS are pussies. They don't want to give anyone other than their own to prove that they belong in their little game.
Playing Auburn....ok, I can get with that. Obviously the U was way underchallenged by playing an anemic Pitt team.

But the notion that the U, or anyone, was going to beat SC that year.....now you are smoking pirate crack. Leinert, Bush, Lendale White, Steve Smith, Dwayne Jarrett.......you do not want to be in the Muss against those guys in 2004.

A playoff would be fun, though....because what if? What if the U did get hot and wound up beating those teams? It probably would have been Armageddon for Y fans.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 05:36 AM   #44
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Playing Auburn....ok, I can get with that. Obviously the U was way underchallenged by playing an anemic Pitt team.

But the notion that the U, or anyone, was going to beat SC that year.....now you are smoking pirate crack. Leinert, Bush, Lendale White, Steve Smith, Dwayne Jarrett.......you do not want to be in the Muss against those guys in 2004.

A playoff would be fun, though....because what if? What if the U did get hot and wound up beating those teams? It probably would have been Armageddon for Y fans.
Not sure where I said Utah would have beat USC. I was just venting on the fact that the Utes didn't get a chance which has been my argument against the BCS from the start:

Quote:
The BCS will never allow a team that is not in their little cartel to play for their championship.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 02:13 PM   #45
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
FMCoug, I looked at some examples of schools...

Does anyone here believe that if Troy went undefeated they would play for the MNC?

The Colley poll has them ranked 2nd in the nation if they had won the last 3 games they lost.

We all know that there is no way in hell Troy from the Sun Belt plays for the MNC.
Mike I think they would, all three of Troys losses have been to SEC schools. You cant tell me that a team with wins at Arkansas, at Florida, and at Georgia, as well as a win over Oklahoma state would not get a shot at a national title, no matter what conference they play in.