cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If BYU was undefeated this year would they play in the MNC game?
Yes 12 35.29%
No 22 64.71%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-01-2007, 02:37 AM   #31
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Norman, OK
Lincoln, NE
South Bend, IN

all have metro populations similar to or smaller than SLC, yet house BCS schools and National Champions.

The issue isn't population. It is national appeal.
There are exceptions, of course.

Why were the Big East and the ACC in the BCS to begin with? It certainly wasn't because of national appeal.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 02:50 AM   #32
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

FMCoug, I looked at some examples of schools...

Does anyone here believe that if Troy went undefeated they would play for the MNC?

The Colley poll has them ranked 2nd in the nation if they had won the last 3 games they lost.

We all know that there is no way in hell Troy from the Sun Belt plays for the MNC.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 03:44 AM   #33
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
There are exceptions, of course.

Why were the Big East and the ACC in the BCS to begin with? It certainly wasn't because of national appeal.
Big East: Miami
ACC: FSU

Pretty simple. National appeal.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 03:52 AM   #34
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Big East: Miami
ACC: FSU

Pretty simple. National appeal.
You're a smart guy, but I have a difficult time believing that you wouldn't accept that the number of tv sets wasn't the determining factor in creating the BCS.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:14 AM   #35
TripletDaddy

Quote:
You're a smart guy, but I have a difficult time believing that you wouldn't accept that the number of tv sets wasn't the determining factor in creating the BCS.
I agree that TV sets play a factor, but from a national perspective, not really a local one.

The flagship teams in all 6 BCS conferences (plus ND) are all nationally loved and followed schools (probably in large part because they have all won NCs at one point or another...USC, Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Michigan, LSU, Florida, Tennessee, Miami, FSU). Very few of those schools reside in large media markets. As a matter of fact, with the exception of SC, ALL of those schools reside in small media markets.

The non-BCS schools were not invited to the party because they have no real national presence. BYU has about the strongest claim against that, but nowhere near to the extent that BYU fans like to make it seem. Church members all over the country dont follow BYU because it is a Church school. And even if they did, how many million people are LDS in the country? There are probably more SC fans in the state of CA than there are LDS church members in the United States.

The biggest benefactors of the BCS are not really the traditional powerhouses. those schools were huge names before the BCS. It is all the pretender BCS coattailers that receive BCS money while not really being a high caliber football program....UNC, Duke, Vandy, Maryland, Miss St, Ole Miss, Arizona, Washington State, etc...

I think ultimately we are saying the same thing. My focus is just on national presence while you seem to be emphasizing local media market.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 12-01-2007, 04:19 AM   #36
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
I agree that TV sets play a factor, but from a national perspective, not really a local one.

The flagship teams in all 6 BCS conferences (plus ND) are all nationally loved and followed schools (probably in large part because they have all won NCs at one point or another...USC, Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Michigan, LSU, Florida, Tennessee, Miami, FSU). Very few of those schools reside in large media markets. As a matter of fact, with the exception of SC, ALL of those schools reside in small media markets.

The non-BCS schools were not invited to the party because they have no real national presence. BYU has about the strongest claim against that, but nowhere near to the extent that BYU fans like to make it seem. Church members all over the country dont follow BYU because it is a Church school. And even if they did, how many million people are LDS in the country? There are probably more SC fans in the state of CA than there are LDS church members in the United States.

The biggest benefactors of the BCS are not really the traditional powerhouses. those schools were huge names before the BCS. It is all the pretender BCS coattailers that receive BCS money while not really being a high caliber football program....UNC, Duke, Vandy, Maryland, Miss St, Ole Miss, Arizona, Washington State, etc...

I think ultimately we are saying the same thing. My focus is just on national presence while you seem to be emphasizing local media market.
Fair enough. I am looking at it from a local perspective - as in why the BCS is exclusionary and you are looking at why the BCS came to be.

My two main problems with the BCS is that it has declared that it's championship game is the legitimate championship game and that it does not give all teams a chance to play for it's championship.

It really bothers me that the Miles Brand is such a pussy about it all. He has the power to do something about it, but is to skeered of the SEC.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:25 AM   #37
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Fair enough. I am looking at it from a local perspective - as in why the BCS is exclusionary and you are looking at why the BCS came to be.

My two main problems with the BCS is that it has declared that it's championship game is the legitimate championship game and that it does not give all teams a chance to play for it's championship.

It really bothers me that the Miles Brand is such a pussy about it all. He has the power to do something about it, but is to skeered of the SEC.
I am not a fan of the BCS, but if you remove fan emotion, here are two truths:

1. There are more BCS schools than non BCS schools in D1.
2. In the history of college football championships, non BCS schools dont really win national championships anyway, so what does it really matter that they are not in the BCS now?

The irony would be that if BYU and the U went to the Pac 10, one of us would wind up playing the Vegas bowl nearly every year, anyway.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:33 AM   #38
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
I am not a fan of the BCS, but if you remove fan emotion, here are two truths:

1. There are more BCS schools than non BCS schools in D1.
2. In the history of college football championships, non BCS schools dont really win national championships anyway, so what does it really matter that they are not in the BCS now?

The irony would be that if BYU and the U went to the Pac 10, one of us would wind up playing the Vegas bowl nearly every year, anyway.
Point number 2 is very telling. I am one of those who believe that it is because BYU won a mythical national championship that we have the BCS today. I just don't like that Division I football is the only sport that doesn't have a playoff to find a true champion.

And you speak the truth about Utah and BYU in the PAC 10 ending up in the Vegas Bowl. More likely BYU, as what's-her-name is still upset that she scheduled her game on a Christmas Day in the early afternoon and Utah didn't have many fans in the stands. She's the idiot for it happening, but won't accept responsibility. But I digress.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:39 AM   #39
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Point number 2 is very telling. I am one of those who believe that it is because BYU won a mythical national championship that we have the BCS today. I just don't like that Division I football is the only sport that doesn't have a playoff to find a true champion.

And you speak the truth about Utah and BYU in the PAC 10 ending up in the Vegas Bowl. More likely BYU, as what's-her-name is still upset that she scheduled her game on a Christmas Day in the early afternoon and Utah didn't have many fans in the stands. She's the idiot for it happening, but won't accept responsibility. But I digress.
I wish we had a playoff, too. It would be great. But I feel like the reality is that, for the most part, those traditional schools are better, anyway. If you look at March Madness, there are some examples of an NC State or Villanova. But for the most part, the better, traditional schools win championships. And even NC State wasnt that much of a fluke. they had won the ACC tourney that year.

In recent years, unbeaten teams like Marshall, Tulane, Boise State, Utah....they were not the best team in the country, so they really were not robbed of anything.

Old 12-01-2007, 04:46 AM   #40
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
I wish we had a playoff, too. It would be great. But I feel like the reality is that, for the most part, those traditional schools are better, anyway. If you look at March Madness, there are some examples of an NC State or Villanova. But for the most part, the better, traditional schools win championships. And even NC State wasnt that much of a fluke. they had won the ACC tourney that year.

In recent years, unbeaten teams like Marshall, Tulane, Boise State, Utah....they were not the best team in the country, so they really were not robbed of anything.
They were robbed of the chance to see how good they really were. That is the problem. If the BCS was so confident that USC would have beat Utah in '04 or Florida would have beat BSU last year, why not let them play and prove it?

And the "best team in the country" is subjective anyway, especially when it is decided by a computer that is being fed data and told what to do.