cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2007, 12:36 AM   #41
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Didn't know that and this is the first I've heard of it.

Had there not been a blown coverage on 4th and 18, a missed delay of game would never have happened.
All-American is right...the clock was zero just a nano-second before it was snapped. Should've been flagged for delay of game.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:40 AM   #42
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
All-American is right...the clock was zero just a nano-second before it was snapped. Should've been flagged for delay of game.
Well, I've always believed that the human element is and should be a part of the game. I'm ok with the officials not calling it, as if the ref had seen it as a delay, he would have called it.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:42 AM   #43
ilmf

ilmf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It's been my general observation, in both college and the NFL, that it takes a tiny bit more than a nano-second for the refs to not give the benefit of the doubt to the offense, probably because it's impossible for a ref to be able to see the clock flash :00 while at the exact same time be able to see for certain that the ball has or hasn't been snapped.
ilmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:44 AM   #44
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmf View Post
It's been my general observation, in both college and the NFL, that it takes a tiny bit more than a nano-second for the refs to not give the benefit of the doubt to the offense, probably because it's impossible for a ref to be able to see the clock flash :00 while at the exact same time be able to see for certain that the ball has or hasn't been snapped.
Agreed. It's a judgment call by the ref.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 11-25-2007, 12:52 AM   #45
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

The late hit out of bounds call on Nixon in the first half was bullcrap all the way....
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 12:55 AM   #46
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly Wolly View Post
The late hit out of bounds call on Nixon in the first half was bullcrap all the way....
Yes it was, but oh well.

For as much as Yewt "fans" will bitch about those 2 calls, most of them I'm guessing weren't in the stands at the game seeing how bad their DB's were clutching, grabbing and holding our WR all day long and will conveinently ignore that.

But that's okay. Like they say, if you can get away with that,,,it's great defense. That's football.

Same with BYU's O-line,,,they hold like muthas. It goes both ways.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:00 AM   #47
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Yes it was, but oh well.

For as much as Yewt "fans" will bitch about those 2 calls, most of them I'm guessing weren't in the stands at the game seeing how bad their DB's were clutching, grabbing and holding our WR all day long and will conveinently ignore that.

But that's okay. Like they say, if you can get away with that,,,it's great defense. That's football.

Same with BYU's O-line,,,they hold like muthas. It goes both ways.
I agree. It's only a penalty if the ref calls it. If he doesn't call it, it's not a penalty.

And from now on Rocky, might I suggest that you refer to them as zoots rather than yewt fans? That way, there would never be a misunderstanding.

Old 11-25-2007, 01:33 AM   #48
BlueHair

BlueHair is on a distinguished road

I came home right after the game and watched it again on TV. A couple of observations:

1. Collie's offensive pass interference was a questionable call. At the stadium it looked obvious, on tv it looked like the DB flopped. Either way, I understand why it was called.

2. In the fourth quarter, when Unga dropped the easy touchdown, he was held by the defender when he ran by him. This may have affected the timing.

3. The last PI against Utah was questionable. He did lean pretty hard into the receiver, but he had the inside position.

4. Brian Kehl did not deserve a personal foul. At the game I thought he got away with one, but the replay shows it was a clean play.

5. At the end of the first half the DB grabbed Matt Allen's shoulder pads right before he dove for the ball.

All in all, I thought the game was officiated very well. The mistakes that were made seem to have been made in an honest effort to get the calls right. I don't think the officiating changed the outcome of the game. In fact, after watching the game again, BYU should have won by 21+, but couldn't execute simple plays. The offensive line dominated Utahs D line.
BlueHair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:46 AM   #49
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

From Potkey's blog:

"After the game, BYU head coach Bronco Mendenhall admitted Hall's shoulder injury suffered against Wyoming last week was much more severe than the team led everyone to believe.
He said he was amazed Hall was even able to throw at practice on Tuesday because the sprain was pretty bad. Hall said the adrenaline helped pull him through, and it's a good thing because he needed every ounce of strength in right arm for his 49-yard connection down the right sideline."

That makes sense. Hall was miserable in the early going, so maybe he was just getting things loosened up.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 01:51 AM   #50
8ballrollin

8ballrollin is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
In fact, after watching the game again, BYU should have won by 21+, but couldn't execute simple plays.
lawls. Nothing funnier than fans of the *winning* team saying 'we should have won by more, if not for missing easy plays'. I'd hate to see your navel gazing, if your team lost.

Is blowing coverage on 4 and 18 considered missing an easy play?
8ballrollin is offline   Reply With Quote