cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2007, 06:39 PM   #11
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Oh, it has been great entertainment for me.

But all of the sound and fury over KW's kick and Glenn's bird are further evidence that it was a bad idea. Utah played an outstanding game but that is not the focus of all of the post-game discussion. Not just on message boards, but in the media as well.
I agree. The focus should be on the great game Utah played yesterday.

The media, I can understand - with little people like Gordon Monson who love to stir up controversy - as that's their job. BYU fans, I can understand too, as that's what you're supposed to do your rival.

But Ute fans have no excuse to get caught up in it. Enjoy the game for what it was - a good ol' fashioned trip behind the woodshed.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:39 PM   #12
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I hate folks who whine about RUTS. I'm not a big believer in game planning to fail either (i.e. just running and not passing at the end). Put in the backups and continue to go balls to the wall.

Jack Pardee at Houston used to RUTS. He was elected to the College Football Hall of Fame, but before he because HC at Univ. of Houston.

Whittingham may be sending a message "we are the bad boys of this league, and I'll be damned if you can punish us for it."

I respect any man who shows complete disdain for Univ. of Wyoming. In fact, I have no problem if Utah RUTS against BYU.

It's good for college football. Because next year there will be a lot more buzz between Utah and Wyoming.
As a fan, I would tend to agree. The drama is entertaining. Kind of like a soap opera I guess. But as a football coach, I think it is a foolish mistake. Wyoming can and will punish Utah for it eventually. Don't forget that this is the same Utah team that got their asses kicked in Vegas a few weeks ago. If KW is sending the message you describe, then he is an idiot.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:56 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
As a fan, I would tend to agree. The drama is entertaining. Kind of like a soap opera I guess. But as a football coach, I think it is a foolish mistake. Wyoming can and will punish Utah for it eventually. Don't forget that this is the same Utah team that got their asses kicked in Vegas a few weeks ago. If KW is sending the message you describe, then he is an idiot.
so what? Air Force RUTSed on us, and what did we do about it? It's all quickly forgotten either way.

A win is a win. A loss is a loss. I wouldn't be scared that someday down the road, Wyoming might try to run up the score against me.

I suspect Kwhitt thought Wyoming coach broke some kind of code, and he was going to give him payback. So it should be even, right?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 07:23 PM   #14
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solon View Post
All this talk about "class" makes we want to puke.

If KW wants to rub Wyo.'s dick in the dirt, that's his decision. He's the head coach. It's his team. It's not like he was playing a Div. II cupcake. It's not Pop Warner or even High School (and yes, there's a difference at these levels).

Karma will probably catch up to him someday and someday Wyo. will have its revenge but, for now, he's the ass-kicking sheriff in town. He didn't cheat. He pressed his advantage and showed a little nasty. If someone has a problem with that, don't whine about "class." Strap it up and beat his team.

The knock on these KW teams has been that they've let up on opponents (see: Louisville '07). Not this time. I liked the killer instinct I saw on Saturday. I think it's a big step forward for KW - he's shedding some of that "nice guy" image.

In 1968, Woody Hayes' Ohio State team scored a late touchdown while leading Michigan comfortably. Hayes went for a two-point conversion. After the game, when asked why he had elected to go for two, he said, "Because I couldn't go for three."

That's the attitude I want in the guy coaching my favorite team.
It's sad and pathetic that so much energy is now focused on rationalizing behavior and not in the savor of victory!

The team, coaches and fan base will spend their week on the defensive, seeking refuge from the nagging pang of sorrow in humiliating a fellow human being ... hoping that inane platitudes like the quote above will deflect from the embarrassment of immature actions.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 08:13 PM   #15
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I bet you can understand this more than you realize. Are you not pushed to be better than your peers? Competition is always there and what drives everyone, no matter the career.
Oh definitely. I just meant that you were the one with collegiate athletic experience.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:21 PM   #16
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
It's sad and pathetic that so much energy is now focused on rationalizing behavior and not in the savor of victory!

The team, coaches and fan base will spend their week on the defensive, seeking refuge from the nagging pang of sorrow in humiliating a fellow human being ... hoping that inane platitudes like the quote above will deflect from the embarrassment of immature actions.
So, I'll admit I just looked platitude up in the dictionary. Nice vocabulary tb.

I'll agree that Ute faithful should be enjoying a strong performance instead of talking about this - especially the "class" thing which rankled me.

But I don't think Thucydides should be considered unoriginal, banal, or trite.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:54 PM   #17
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
so what? Air Force RUTSed on us, and what did we do about it? It's all quickly forgotten either way.

A win is a win. A loss is a loss. I wouldn't be scared that someday down the road, Wyoming might try to run up the score against me.

I suspect Kwhitt thought Wyoming coach broke some kind of code, and he was going to give him payback. So it should be even, right?
Let me see if I can express my point as simply as possible. The #1 priority for a coach is to win games; now and in the future. Does RUTS increase or decrease your chances of winning future games? We can argue degree of impact, but I guarantee you that is does not increase your odds. A smart coach does everything possible to avoid giving extra motivation to opponents.

But as long as it is a fight between Utah and Wyoming, I hope it becomes a bloodbath.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:46 PM   #18
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Let me see if I can express my point as simply as possible. The #1 priority for a coach is to win games; now and in the future. Does RUTS increase or decrease your chances of winning future games? We can argue degree of impact, but I guarantee you that is does not increase your odds. A smart coach does everything possible to avoid giving extra motivation to opponents.

But as long as it is a fight between Utah and Wyoming, I hope it becomes a bloodbath.
I'm mostly amused that so many BYU fans have thrown themselves into the foray. It'll just make the game in two weeks that much more fun.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 01:14 AM   #19
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

My disagreement with running up the score is different than most. The object of a coach should be to win current and future games, agreeing with Lebowski. However, you win them like Bud Wilkerson did, but getting the second and third stringers with as much experience as possible.

If you have a 40 point lead, put in the second stringers or selected second stringers. Next year, you'll lose some and people will complain about a lack of experience. That is the key. Plus the injuries to starters also make one wince.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:16 AM   #20
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I'm mostly amused that so many BYU fans have thrown themselves into the foray. It'll just make the game in two weeks that much more fun.
Well, it was MP that brought it over here.

Look, here's the deal. Many Ute Fans, including some of the best, have made whining over BYU RUTS their 14th Article of Faith for the past 20 years. It was further proof that BYU was not what it professed to be, evidence of the lack of class at the university and within in the fan base. Utah was a better place, a place with vision, a place where principles reigned.

Now comes a blatant example of Utah RUTS, and not just throwing the ball down field in the 4th when up 30. This was really in your face stuff. The irony is great, especially seeing all the Ute Fans contort to defend KWhit's moves. It brings me a burning in the bossom. But as Goat said yesterday, they should just all have a big bowl of shut the hell up.

I really don't care about RUTS. I guess it can be classless, but as someone pointed out, this is football, not life. Stop us if you can. If you can't, then that's the price you pay. I remember getting blown out by CSU and BSU a few years ago, and I think BSU went a little far. But all I remember thinking is, "I never want this to happen again." My emphasis certainly wasn't "class."

That said, I love the juxtaposition between Bronco sitting down the last play of the game rather than run it in from the two and Kyle running an onsides kick while up 40. That's priceless.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote