cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2007, 04:09 PM   #1
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Max Hall

is a stud college quarterback. I don't think he has the natural skills to play at the pro level, but he is very good qb for college.

He is also a gamer. He seems to play his best against better opponents. He is confident, cocky and good. I thought he played his best all around game yesterday. He made only one bad mistake and overthrew a couple of receivers. It seemed to me that he made just about every read correctly and also audibled well. He demonstrated, IMO, his best control and command of the game management and the offense that I have seen this year.

He has a nice touch on the touch passes and can get some heat on the mid range throws into traffic. That one pass to Michael Reed in traffic had some smoke on it. He really is amazingly poised and knows which throw to throw when.

If John Beck had Max's intangibles, Gary Crowton might still be our coach. John certainly developed those intangibles and perhaps the fact that the team is so much better aids Max to just play and not believe he has to win the game individually. However, IMO there is no comparison to Max's confident, poise and moxie as a sophmore and that of John's. Unfortunately, I doubt Max will ever have John's physical skills and thus the playbook to some extent will be limited.

I think Max is going to play very well against the Utes. He is the type that just relishes those type of opportunities and it will bring out his best.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmm, interesting that you thought Max was accurate on his throws last night.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:16 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree that Hall is better than Beck as a sophomore. And he shows some moxey running on key downs to get the first down. I don't like his long range passing, but perhaps that's more a question of timing than ability.

He looked a little off to me, though.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:22 PM   #4
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Hmm, interesting that you thought Max was accurate on his throws last night.
I thought he was accurate enough, but I was more impressed with his ability to choose the right read and manage the game. As the mental aspects become more second nature the accuracy will improve.

PS..Patterson cannot carry Bronco's jock.

Besides that he, Patterson that is, is a whining pussy.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:23 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

What did Patterson whine about? BYU watering the field to make it into a slip-fest?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:26 PM   #6
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
What did Patterson whine about? BYU watering the field to make it into a slip-fest?
I did wonder why there were so many divots flying up in the air last night? I read about how someone claims Bronco watered the field to make it slippery. If so, good job Bronco. Would have been even better if we sent TCU a picture of Bronco personally watering the field down and measuring the tall grass just to get in their heads.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:28 PM   #7
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't you guys remember how wet the intramural fields got in November at night? It was brutal trying to play intramural football then when they wouldn't let you wear cleats.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:30 PM   #8
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
He whined about having to play thursday nite games.

The only comment I heard from him about the field of play was that this year the field was properly shorn and in Gary's opinion there is nothing quite like a closely shorn playing surface.......

I understand that the slippery surface is the result of BYU covering the field with a tarp.

However, I did have some funn on Utefans when they got into this whinefest. That is the one thing I love about BYU being good, it gets others to whine and I just like to taunt whiners no matter who they root for. But those that whine about BYU are easier because they will inevitably bring up BYU "thinking itself holy" and such targets are too much a temptation for me to hold back dumping a bit of salt in the wounds.
Old 11-09-2007, 04:33 PM   #9
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

The guys on the tv broadcast said that it was dew due to the humidity and low temperature. They said BYU normally would have kept the tarp on the field as long as possible, but that (breaking with custom) they took it off in the morning so that TCU could do a walk-through on the field.

If that's all accurate, it's very disingenuous for TCU to complain about the wet field.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:34 PM   #10
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
He whined about having to play thursday nite games.

The only comment I heard from him about the field of play was that this year the field was properly shorn and in Gary's opinion there is nothing quite like a closely shorn playing surface.......

I understand that the slippery surface is the result of BYU covering the field with a tarp.

However, I did have some funn on Utefans when they got into this whinefest. That is the one thing I love about BYU being good, it gets others to whine and I just like to taunt whiners no matter who they root for. But those that whine about BYU are easier because they will inevitably bring up BYU "thinking itself holy" and such targets are too much a temptation for me to hold back dumping a bit of salt in the wounds.
I think his whine about Thursday nites might be justified. Why does he have to play 3 Thurs. nite games. I think if BYU did we would hear some serious howling, especially if we lost.

I have noticed some lessening of the friendly discussion about BYU over on the Frogs board. Someone on CB asked why the Frogs seemed not to be in the we hate BYU campl like most of the league. Uh, give it time, just give it time.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote