cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 07:48 PM   #11
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge Smails View Post
...who lives outside the footprint and will have all 12 games on my television this year, it's hard for me to dispute your frustration, but...

I don't buy Cougar fan's frustration with our lack of national exposure, hurting recruiting, blah, blah, blah.

Yes it sucks, that you can't see half the games, when you otherwise could have by purchasing Game Plan, but we've got as much national exposure now as we ever had for your casual channel flipper. Again, we'll be on national TV 6 times this year. And without ESPN full court, BYU basketball had 2-3 national broadcasts a year. We'll have about that many this year, plus a whole lot more if the deal ever gets done.

The TV deal may be hurting your fandom, but it's not hurting recruiting. That argument is BS.

If, and it's a big if, we can get the mtn. on satellite, it will be WAY better than what we used to have. I'm loving it right now, recognizing a huge chunk of MWC fans are getting the shaft.
Are you a recruit? I can't imagine this not hurting our recruiting. The only good thing is that the Pac 10 TV deal sucks too, and that's who we usually recruit against.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 07:51 PM   #12
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I don't know why this is getting so much talk. Won't happen. BYU can't survive on its own.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 07:53 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Sadly I think BYU fans will be satisfied with this kind of year, even with another loss IF BYU is ranked at some point in the season.

It's the lack of national ranking that has made this season non-compelling, despite the wins.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 07:55 PM   #14
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Sadly I think BYU fans will be satisfied with this kind of year, even with another loss IF BYU is ranked at some point in the season.

It's the lack of national ranking that has made this season non-compelling, despite the wins.
Was last season compelling in early November?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 07:56 PM   #15
Judge Smails

Judge Smails is on a distinguished road
Default Again, I call BS

Quote:
Don't be dense. A national Thurs. game on Versus is about 1/100th the exposure of a national Thurs. game on ESPN.
I'd like you to find me one BYU game on ESPN during the past 10 years (or longer if you prefer) that has ratings 100 times greater than tonight's game or any game on VS or CSTV.

I'm not going to do the research, especially since I assume you're exagerrating. Obviously ESPN has higher viewership than VS, but VS is in a LOT of homes, as is CSTV.

Is exposure more limited, certainly, but it's not as limited as you crybabies would suggest.

I understand your desire for the CSTV/mtn/VS experiment to fail, so you can get your ESPN Game Plan back, but successful implementation would be a lot better than failure. Obviously, like you, I have my doubts, but that's what I hope for.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:58 PM   #16
Judge Smails

Judge Smails is on a distinguished road
Default Again,

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Are you a recruit? I can't imagine this not hurting our recruiting. The only good thing is that the Pac 10 TV deal sucks too, and that's who we usually recruit against.
many of you OVERESTIMATE how much we were on ESPN in past years. How exactly were recruits watching BYU games in 2000?
Old 11-08-2007, 08:00 PM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
I'd like you to find me one BYU game on ESPN during the past 10 years (or longer if you prefer) that has ratings 100 times greater than tonight's game or any game on VS or CSTV.

I'm not going to do the research, especially since I assume you're exagerrating. Obviously ESPN has higher viewership than VS, but VS is in a LOT of homes, as is CSTV.

Is exposure more limited, certainly, but it's not as limited as you crybabies would suggest.

I understand your desire for the CSTV/mtn/VS experiment to fail, so you can get your ESPN Game Plan back, but successful implementation would be a lot better than failure. Obviously, like you, I have my doubts, but that's what I hope for.
So what do you think the multiplier is? 100 may be an exaggeration. But is 10x or 5x an exaggeration? 50x would not surprise me.

It's not like I want all BYU games to be on ESPN gameplan. What I miss is having some of BYU games being key games on the calendar (Thurs night), or Sat. regional ABC games. And then the rest of the games are on gameplan.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:01 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
many of you OVERESTIMATE how much we were on ESPN in past years. How exactly were recruits watching BYU games in 2000?
Probably the same way as me. On TV.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:03 PM   #19
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
So what do you think the multiplier is? 100 may be an exaggeration. But is 10x or 5x an exaggeration? 50x would not surprise me.

It's not like I want all BYU games to be on ESPN gameplan. What I miss is having some of BYU games being key games on the calendar (Thurs night), or Sat. regional ABC games. And then the rest of the games are on gameplan.
How many households are going to tune in tonight, Mike?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 08:12 PM   #20
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
How many households are going to tune in tonight, Mike?
The Big East Thurs. night game had a rating 13x bigger than the BYU-UCLA versus game on a Sat. I guess I am the only one here who can actually google.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...4/ai_n20508878
Quote:
Both the BYU-at-UCLA game and the Wisconsin-at-UNLV game were on Versus. According to ratings information released by the cable network, 446,118 viewers in 296,283 homes watched all or part of the BYU game; and 584,772 viewers in 421,987 homes watched all or part of the UNLV game.

Nationally, BYU-UCLA averaged a 0.4 rating -- which means four- tenths of 1 percent of the homes in America were watching. UNLV- Wisconsin averaged a 0.6.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06338/743356-139.stm
Quote:
It worked so well for the Bristol, Conn.-based cable empire that ESPN garnered its two highest Thursday night ratings from Big East games this season. First, West Virginia-Louisville Nov. 2 shattered the network's 11-year-old record for a Florida State-Virginia matchup with a 5.3 rating that translated to 4.91 million households tuned in. Then, a week later, Louisville-Rutgers captured a 5.0 ranking and 4.62 million households.