cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 05:17 PM   #41
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

Personally, I don't like booing. I have never booed one of "my" teams. My brothers and I went to a BYU game with my sister's boyfriend once. Early in the game, he booed BYU for some relativelly minor thing (he was a BYU fan). None of us could give our approval after that. Also, I understand where Bronco is coming from, because the examples he usually gives are those that, in my mind, are stupid. While I wouldn't have booed Crowten in 2004, I'm not going to get too upset at someone who does. Crowten had earned his boos by then. Booing Bronco or Santiago in their first games, however, is different. Everyone should get the benefit of the doubt for at least a few games.

Having said that, I think Bronco should drop this. I think he is, in general, right, but it makes him seem like a bit of a whiner each time he talks about it, especially since the first person he mentions is generally not one of his players, but himself. He doesn't have to like the booing, but he should accept that it will always be around, and take it like a man.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:20 PM   #42
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

non-issue. Booing is a part of sports. Always has been, always will be.

not sure why Bronco feels like he needs to bring it up. seems a little silly to me.

Last edited by smokymountainrain; 11-07-2007 at 05:23 PM.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:24 PM   #43
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post

not sure why Bronco feels like he needs to bring it up. seems a little silly to me.
Only reason I can think off is that it puts a smile on Samuelson, Skousen and the Board of Trustees faces.

The more he wins the more they might use him to shape the behavior of fans to conform to their thinking.

Once the booing is resolved, painted faces will probably be next.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 05:47 PM   #44
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Only reason I can think off is that it puts a smile on Samuelson, Skousen and the Board of Trustees faces.

The more he wins the more they might use him to shape the behavior of fans to conform to their thinking.

Once the booing is resolved, painted faces will probably be next.
This is true, how can we be "A+ fans" when we're booing our own team?

For the record, I don't like it when BYU fans boo the team. In part because most fans can't even show up on time, spend half the time at the game chatting with their buddies, fail to understand very basic aspects of the game, and come attired in green. Fans need to demonstrate a little more support before they can claim the right to boo, imo.

Yeah, BM probably needs to let it drop.

As for the recruiting thing, I don't think I've ever heard BM say that the 3.0 is a hard fast rule, just that those are the players that get the first look. Maybe he's said it and I missed that, but I was pretty sure that when he came out here and spoke (granted it's been a while) he put those 3 criteria in terms of good LDS athletes with a strong gpa get the first look, then they start looking at other players to see who is going to fit in at BYU.
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:00 PM   #45
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

I boo, therefore I am.

If you suck, you will get booed, jeered, razzed, or yelled at.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:26 PM   #46
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post

Exactly. I'm not a fan of booing college players, but it happens. He needs to deal with it and quit whining about something that was exaggerated to begin with. Let it go Bronco.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote