cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2007, 06:08 PM   #61
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
If we consistently win 10 to 12 games a year and are perpetually in the top 25, yes I do.
You may be right. If they somehow drop the PAC10 schools from our home schedule and replace them with 1AA or cream puffs (that's dummying down) I for one will no longer be buying season tickets. That may not matter a bit as there could be plenty of people who would be happy to pay around $700 a ticket for that schedule.

I know others that say they also will stop buying season tickets. Since that is the only point of reference I have, that is where I am coming from.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 06:24 PM   #62
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Indy and HFNW, what you guys are doing seems to suggest that the schedule has an effect on how good we are. Indy, you seem committed to fight this fallacy, I dont know why you use it the opposite way.

If we're a top 25 team, we will be be 9-3 against a good SOS or 11-1 against a crappy SOS.

I don't think the fans are that stupid that they get giddy over a 10-2 season like this year as compared to if this had been a 9-3 or 8-4 season against much tougher opponents.

Fans didn't stop showing in 2002-2004 because it was a tough schedule. they stopped showing because BYU sucked. We were losing at home to UNLV and New Mexico. We were getting pasted by mediocred Boise and CSU teams. You're talking about a difference of going 4-8 with a tough schedule vs 6-6 with an easy schedule. I'm pretty sure BYU fans would have been equally pissed off.

So the question is not 4-8 tough SOS vs 11-1 crappy SOS. It's a one or two game difference. And you'd have a VERY tough time arguing that a consistent schedule of MWC + UCLA and Colorado at 10-2 every year would sell less tix than 12-0 against Hawaii's schedule. Or other extreme 4-8 with USC and Notre Dame or 6-6 with Utah State and Nevada.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 06:27 PM   #63
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not advocating us getting a crappy schedule, I'm simply stating that if BYU wins 10 games a year, the fans will come no matter how crappy the home opposition is. We have ample history as a guide.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 06:31 PM   #64
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Indy and HFNW, what you guys are doing seems to suggest that the schedule has an effect on how good we are. Indy, you seem committed to fight this fallacy, I dont know why you use it the opposite way.

If we're a top 25 team, we will be be 9-3 against a good SOS or 11-1 against a crappy SOS.

I don't think the fans are that stupid that they get giddy over a 10-2 season like this year as compared to if this had been a 9-3 or 8-4 season against much tougher opponents.

Fans didn't stop showing in 2002-2004 because it was a tough schedule. they stopped showing because BYU sucked. We were losing at home to UNLV and New Mexico. We were getting pasted by mediocred Boise and CSU teams. You're talking about a difference of going 4-8 with a tough schedule vs 6-6 with an easy schedule. I'm pretty sure BYU fans would have been equally pissed off.

So the question is not 4-8 tough SOS vs 11-1 crappy SOS. It's a one or two game difference. And you'd have a VERY tough time arguing that a consistent schedule of MWC + UCLA and Colorado at 10-2 every year would sell less tix than 12-0 against Hawaii's schedule. Or other extreme 4-8 with USC and Notre Dame or 6-6 with Utah State and Nevada.
Here is my question.

Which schedule is better for fans who pay money for tickets at the Stadium.

Home: UNM, UNLV, Wyoming, SDSU, USU and Eastern Washington or

Home: UNM, UNLV, Wyoming, SDSU, UCLA and Florida State or

Home: Arizona, Arizona State, USC, Washington, USU and EWU

I say number 3 is best number 2 second best and number 3 worst.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:34 PM   #65
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Here is my question.

Which schedule is better for fans who pay money for tickets at the Stadium.

Home: UNM, UNLV, Wyoming, SDSU, USU and Eastern Washington or

Home: UNM, UNLV, Wyoming, SDSU, UCLA and Florida State or

Home: Arizona, Arizona State, USC, Washington, USU and EWU

I say number 3 is best number 2 second best and number 3 worst.
I'm curious how you pull off scheduling #3
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 06:34 PM   #66
BYU71

Quote:
I'm not advocating us getting a crappy schedule, I'm simply stating that if BYU wins 10 games a year, the fans will come no matter how crappy the home opposition is. We have ample history as a guide.
Show me the year after year home schedule, 3 years in a row where we had crappy opponents. You can't use the mid seventies and early eighties. A team that competed an won the WAC was a novelty for BYU. Go to the years after BYU had established themselves as a Top 25 program.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:36 PM   #67
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I mostly agree. I'd also agree that if we went 7-5/8-4 against the toughest schedule we could put together every year, we'd also sell out the stadium.

I expect BYU power ranking between 5 and 60 over the next ten years with average around 25-30.

If you took that expectation, you could probably come up with an optimal schedule for donations, season tickets, fan excitement, recruiting advantage, national attention, etc. I honestly believe that optimization is with at least three of your four OOC games being against as good as competition as you can schedule, and I think it might be possible that it would be all four--except for the fact that we want an extra home game.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 06:36 PM   #68
BYU71

Quote:
I'm curious how you pull off scheduling #3
Get out of this crappy conference. I don't know if it could be done, but I think fans would rather go 8-4 with a PAC10 type schedule rather than 11-1 and a Hawaii schedule.

I am talking of fans who buy tickets to the stadium. I will admit if I didn't, I wouldn't care as much.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:38 PM   #69
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I mostly agree. I'd also agree that if we went 7-5/8-4 against the toughest schedule we could put together every year, we'd also sell out the stadium.

I expect BYU power ranking between 5 and 60 over the next ten years with average around 25-30.

If you took that expectation, you could probably come up with an optimal schedule for donations, season tickets, fan excitement, recruiting advantage, national attention, etc. I honestly believe that optimization is with at least three of your four OOC games being against as good as competition as you can schedule, and I think it might be possible that it would be all four--except for the fact that we want an extra home game.
This would be ideal for me as a fan.

Years Utah is at our place. schedule a Baylor type or USU type in Cougar stadium with a good BCS team.

Years like next year have both a UCLA type and Washington type in our stadium along m.

I said ideal, I am not speaking of what may or may not be possible.