cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 05:07 PM   #21
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I'd tell them to shut the f up, but I don't see the relevance in how much money is spent. A big donor could be a "true blue fan" and tell someone not spending big bucks to stop complaining about issues (Haddow for example--I think he's done that a couple times).
I am not explaining myself very well.

Bottom line is if they have shit schedules year after year in the future, the season ticket holders will get tired and quit paying the prices they now pay.

Indy can pull all of the statistics he wants out of his ass to try and disprove that, but that is what will happen. Right now they haven't damaged the schedule enough to cause that. However, those who think they don't have to play the big boys as they have in the past and things will still be fine are just dreamin a dream.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. However, I feel some people are like the libs. Figuring out ways other people can pay for there jollies.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:11 PM   #22
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Bottom line is if they have shit schedules year after year in the future, the season ticket holders will get tired and quit paying the prices they now pay.

Indy can pull all of the statistics he wants out of his ass to try and disprove that, but that is what will happen.
Seriously, BYU71, stop turning every football post into one of three pet topics of yours. I'm talking about the hypocrisy of BYU fans' attitude towards other teams that are winning with lesser schedules.

I'm not talking about what BYU's future scheduling strategy should be.

I provided no statistics showing what home attendance is relative to quality of home game opponents.

I did not rip on LaVell.

I did not excuse Crowton.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:13 PM   #23
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Seriously, BYU71, stop turning every football post into one of three pet topics of yours. I'm talking about the hypocrisy of BYU fans' attitude towards other teams that are winning with lesser schedules.

I'm not talking about what BYU's future scheduling strategy should be.

I provided no statistics showing what home attendance is relative to quality of home game opponents.

I did not rip on LaVell.

I did not excuse Crowton.
"every football post" I would gladly accept the criticism if you wouldn't start by making a totally stupid statement. Why don't you go look up all the football posts and give me a statistical analysis on exactly how many of them I turn into one of my 3 (I actually have about 5) pet topics.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:15 PM   #24
BYU71

Quote:
"every football post" I would gladly accept the criticism if you wouldn't start by making a totally stupid statement. Why don't you go look up all the football posts and give me a statistical analysis on exactly how many of them I turn into one of my 3 (I actually have about 5) pet topics.
P.S. You told me this was your thread and to take it somewhere else. I did. Why aren't you over there bringing up these complaints instead of here on your "pure" thread.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:16 PM   #25
Indy Coug

Quote:
P.S. You told me this was your thread and to take it somewhere else. I did. Why aren't you over there bringing up these complaints instead of here on your "pure" thread.
Because you continue to harp on this subject in this thread even after you created a new thread. I've left your new thread alone so you can rehash in peace over there.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:34 PM   #26
Judge Smails

Judge Smails is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I'm talking about the hypocrisy of BYU fans' attitude towards other teams that are winning with lesser schedules.
First of all if you're referring to me in any way, it's not hypocrisy on my part. I became a casual BYU fan circa 1991, became a passionate BYU fan about 1995. I never refer to 1984 unless someone else brings it up, and I tend to agree that championship was mythical due to SOS.

But as crappy as that 1984 schedule it was, it was eons better than what Hawaii's thrown together this year. It's seriously, not even close - can you at least admit that?
Old 11-02-2007, 05:37 PM   #27
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Maybe I'm not being statistically sensitive, but is the difference between .486 and .513 really that big? Is that considered statistically significant?
Indy, did you miss this question?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Relevant, my friend, is a relative concept.
Crowton is not my relative, but he is irrelevant to this thread.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 05:39 PM   #28
BYU71

Quote:
Because you continue to harp on this subject in this thread even after you created a new thread. I've left your new thread alone so you can rehash in peace over there.
I am answering questiongs. Should I respond to say Santos with, "Indy doesn't want me to post on this thread, would you please ask me the question on an alternate thread."

Sorry Indy, but I just don't communicate with anal people very well. It is all my fault.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:07 PM   #29
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Indy, did you miss this question?

Crowton is not my relative, but he is irrelevant to this thread.
Maybe he missed it, but I can answer it. The principle of statistical significance does not apply here. In statistics you compute statistical significance when you are dealing with a representative sample of a larger whole (ie., surveying 400 people to determine what the whole population must look like) to see if the difference observed between two subsets of that sample (or from one sample to another) is a real difference or is due to sampling error. Indy has supplied the entire population in this case, so statistical significance is irrelevant. Make sense? Whether the difference in winning percentage is important or not here is a matter of opinion. No need to compute whether it's a real difference or if it's due to sampling error. We can say with 100% confidence that it is what it is because we're dealing with the whole and not samples of the whole.

Last edited by BlueK; 11-02-2007 at 06:11 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 06:12 PM   #30
Indy Coug

Here's one way to look at it: after 1,400 at bats, see how long it takes to raise your batting average from .486 to .513.