cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 04:42 PM   #11
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
First, if you would ever bother paying attention, my contention all along is that SOS, in a vacuum, should not be the be-all, end-all of determining how good or bad a team is.
Agree 100%. Neither should W-L. A combination of the two, i.e. comp ranking should be used.

Quote:
I get sick and tired of BYU fans slapping around teams like Boise State for rising to prominence using essentially the same scheduling model BYU used to to during their glory years (1979-1984) where they would schedule one quality BCS school and fill the remainder of their OOC schedule with questionable competition. It reeks to high heaven of hypocrisy.
Times are different now, but I see your point.

Quote:
What the easier schedule allowed them to do as a budding program was to bump up their W-L record, which then snowballed into more national recognition and improved talent.
Not sure about that. That assumes you can trick the public with gaudy records and weak SOS. I don't know if that's true. Could have BYU done the same thing going 8-4, 9-3,10-2, and 11-1 during those years with more wins over BCS schools and a tougher SOS than 9-3,10-2,11-1,12-0 with weak SOS?

Last edited by jay santos; 11-02-2007 at 04:44 PM.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:43 PM   #12
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I will take that as an admission that you were wrong about Crowton.
I will take that as an admission you aren't really interested in discussing the relevant issues at hand.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:44 PM   #13
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Indy, would you concede that for those who pay for season tickets and fork over another $1,000 a year in dues to belong to the Club at BYU, those people have the right to ask that a product comparable to Phantom of the Opera show up in LES rather than your "ward road show."

If you could at least admit that, I then won't feel compelled to respond to all your statistical crap about how great it is to play shit schedules.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:47 PM   #14
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Indy, would you concede that for those who pay for season tickets and fork over another $1,000 a year in dues to belong to the Club at BYU, those people have the right to ask that a product comparable to Phantom of the Opera show up in LES rather than your "ward road show."

If you could at least admit that, I then won't feel compelled to respond to all your statistical crap about how great it is to play shit schedules.
That's a completely different issue, BYU71. Take your shoehorn somewhere else.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:51 PM   #15
BYU71

Quote:
That's a completely different issue, BYU71. Take your shoehorn somewhere else.
Oh I thought we were talking about the pro's and con's of having a crappy schedule. Sorry.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:51 PM   #16
jay santos

Quote:

Tangent here: but does someone need to be wealthy to have a voice with the program and have a right to ask for a good product?
Old 11-02-2007, 04:51 PM   #17
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I will take that as an admission you aren't really interested in discussing the relevant issues at hand.
Relevant, my friend, is a relative concept.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:51 PM   #18
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Relevant, my friend, is a relative concept.
Judging by yourself and BYU71, your relatives are at least 5th cousins three times removed.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:00 PM   #19
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Tangent here: but does someone need to be wealthy to have a voice with the program and have a right to ask for a good product?
Heck no, anyone can ask. Personally though I get tired of the people who spend maybe $100 a year if that telling me that if I complain about the schedule I am not "a true blue fan".

To those people I say shut the f up.
Old 11-02-2007, 05:03 PM   #20
jay santos

Quote:
Heck no, anyone can ask. Personally though I get tired of the people who spend maybe $100 a year if that telling me that if I complain about the schedule I am not "a true blue fan".

To those people I say shut the f up.
I'd tell them to shut the f up, but I don't see the relevance in how much money is spent. A big donor could be a "true blue fan" and tell someone not spending big bucks to stop complaining about issues (Haddow for example--I think he's done that a couple times).