cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 04:00 PM   #1
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BYU: A legacy built on crappy SOS

Enjoy.

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=3140510
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:10 PM   #2
Judge Smails

Judge Smails is on a distinguished road

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I'd rather go 10-2 against a schedule no worse than last years and a Vegas bowl win, then to sell out to a flawed system, play nobody, and make a BCS game on a regular basis.

The hang up is the money of course, but I like a challenge. At least with a tough schedule, we can say we earned a BCS game if we ever get there.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:12 PM   #3
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

I wont read it.

Indy we want some exclusivity from you.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:12 PM   #4
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post

This is the fault of the anti-Crowton crowd. Ever since Jay, Waters and myself embarassed Indy in his staunch defense of Gary Crowton's incompetence, Indy became the biggest anti-BYU fan of them all.

Trully he must be Gary Crowton's nephew!
Old 11-02-2007, 04:18 PM   #5
Indy Coug

Anti-BYU fan?
Old 11-02-2007, 04:19 PM   #6
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Maybe I'm not being statistically sensitive, but is the difference between .486 and .513 really that big? Is that considered statistically significant?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:21 PM   #7
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Anti-BYU fan?
A fan of being anti-BYU = anti-BYU fan.

Saying that I do recall that a daily tactic you used as a smokescreen to camouflage your uncle's incompetence was to smeer the accomplishments of his holyness, Lavell Edwards, so perhaps you have long been an anti-BYU fan.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:27 PM   #8
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have a few comments.

1. Opp winning record is the easiest way to calculate SOS, but not that accurate. It might change the picture looking at a different calculation, maybe not.
2. I don't know if this was a strategy as you suggest. Wyoming and Utah State had better programs back in the 60's. Arizona and ASU leaving WAC also hurt the SOS. It might be possible that BYU's traditional opponents took a dive in the 70's, and since that point they have slowly tried to upgrade their schedule as the program was upgraded.
3. SOS and winning record are directly correlated, given the same power ranking. So your note that our winning ways got less consistent with SOS increase is obvious.
4. I really don't know what your point is, so I don't know whether to agree or disagree with the main idea.

Last edited by jay santos; 11-02-2007 at 04:34 PM.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2007, 04:31 PM   #9
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
A fan of being anti-BYU = anti-BYU fan.

Saying that I do recall that a daily tactic you used as a smokescreen to camouflage your uncle's incompetence was to smeer the accomplishments of his holyness, Lavell Edwards, so perhaps you have long been an anti-BYU fan.
First, if you would ever bother paying attention, my contention all along is that SOS, in a vacuum, should not be the be-all, end-all of determining how good or bad a team is. I get sick and tired of BYU fans slapping around teams like Boise State for rising to prominence using essentially the same scheduling model BYU used to to during their glory years (1979-1984) where they would schedule one quality BCS school and fill the remainder of their OOC schedule with questionable competition. It reeks to high heaven of hypocrisy.

What the easier schedule allowed them to do as a budding program was to bump up their W-L record, which then snowballed into more national recognition and improved talent.

There is no denying that after BYU's national championship and all the crap they got about their SOS, they made a conscious effort to crank up their OOC difficulty. But along with that came a lot more volatility in their W-L record. Let's take 1991. BYU was 0-3-1 against some very good BCS teams and 8-0-1 against WAC/Utah State.

I'd just like BYU fans to recognize, understand and embrace their roots rather than engage in the same bullshit snobbery used against BYU in the past.

Often, you come off as really intelligent, but when you see this as being some bizarre rip on LaVell, apologize for Crowton post, I honestly have to reconsider.
Old 11-02-2007, 04:40 PM   #10
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
First, if you would ever bother paying attention, my contention all along is that SOS, in a vacuum, should not be the be-all, end-all of determining how good or bad a team is. I get sick and tired of BYU fans slapping around teams like Boise State for rising to prominence using essentially the same scheduling model BYU used to to during their glory years (1979-1984) where they would schedule one quality BCS school and fill the remainder of their OOC schedule with questionable competition. It reeks to high heaven of hypocrisy.

What the easier schedule allowed them to do as a budding program was to bump up their W-L record, which then snowballed into more national recognition and improved talent.

There is no denying that after BYU's national championship and all the crap they got about their SOS, they made a conscious effort to crank up their OOC difficulty. But along with that came a lot more volatility in their W-L record. Let's take 1991. BYU was 0-3-1 against some very good BCS teams and 8-0-1 against WAC/Utah State.

I'd just like BYU fans to recognize, understand and embrace their roots rather than engage in the same bullshit snobbery used against BYU in the past.

Often, you come off as really intelligent, but when you see this as being some bizarre rip on LaVell, apologize for Crowton post, I honestly have to reconsider.
I will take that as an admission that you were wrong about Crowton.