cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 03:41 AM   #11
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
If Massey ranked UTEP 76th in 1984, I honestly have to wonder about his rankings.

I think they're Massey but he only has back to 1990 on his web page. I downloaded these into an Access database years ago.

1 Florida
2 Boston College
3 Washington
4 Maryland
5 Nebraska
6 Brigham Young
7 Virginia
8 Auburn
8 Rutgers
10 Southern Methodist
11 Oklahoma State
12 Oklahoma
13 West Virginia
14 Kentucky
15 Southern Cal
16 Tennessee
17 Syracuse
18 South Carolina
19 Army
20 UCLA
21 Florida State
22 Louisiana State
23 Clemson
24 Georgia
25 Georgia Tech
26 Ohio State
27 Miami
28 Notre Dame
29 Nevada - Las Vegas
30 Temple
31 Iowa
32 Penn State
33 Arizona
34 Air Force
35 Alabama
36 Arkansas
37 North Carolina
38 Virginia Tech
39 Washington State
40 Wisconsin
41 Cincinnati
42 Illinois
43 Houston
44 Texas
45 Louisville
45 Rice
47 Purdue
48 Michigan
49 Pittsburgh
50 Texas Christian
51 Oregon State
52 Vanderbilt
53 Navy
54 Wake Forest
55 Baylor
56 Southwestern Louisia
57 Utah State
57 East Carolina
59 Stanford
60 Arizona State
61 Michigan State
62 Hawaii
63 Texas A&M
64 Oregon
65 Kansas
66 New Mexico State
67 Memphis State
68 Mississippi
69 Utah
70 Iowa State
71 Bowling Green
72 San Jose State
73 Tulane
74 Toledo
75 Mississippi State
76 Texas-El Paso
77 Missouri
78 Central Michigan
79 Minnesota
80 North Carolina State
81 Tulsa
82 San Diego State
83 Duke
84 New Mexico
85 Kansas State
86 Texas Tech
87 Kent
88 Southern Mississippi
89 Wyoming
90 Fresno State
91 Miami, Ohio
92 Northwestern
93 Eastern Michigan
94 California
95 Colorado State
96 Ohio
97 Colorado
98 Western Michigan
99 Pacific
100 Ball State
101 Indiana
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:42 AM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

If you all don't think there is a difference between the the millieu of the 1980s and now, then you probably forgot that in 1984 BYU won the so-called NC.

That tells you all you need to know.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:49 AM   #13
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
If you all don't think there is a difference between the the millieu of the 1980s and now, then you probably forgot that in 1984 BYU won the so-called NC.

That tells you all you need to know.
About how good or bad our conference is and was?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:36 PM   #14
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Well, as much as you post about A&M, why don't you just give up and move over to a big school in a big time league and be done with BYU once and for all and stop pissing and moaning about this on a daily basis.

Holy shit, you're worse than BYU71.
I expect that out of you and your followers Indy. Let's get people to fork over some money so we can build an indoor facility, fund an escrow account to pay bigger salaries to coaches, build a great facility for the athletes to work out in and then tell those folks, no we don't want to be big time we like it how it is.

We want all this so we can make the $100 CC members happy out in Indiana and they can brag to their friends, we're big time, look at our facilities.

Are you sure you aren't a democrat.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:47 PM   #15
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
.... and then tell those folks, no we don't want to be big time we like it how it is.
Has anyone in the BYU admin or sports programs ever said this? What do think they can do? Just fill out an application and be admitted to a BCS conf.?
Old 10-23-2007, 01:53 PM   #16
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Has anyone in the BYU admin or sports programs ever said this? What do think they can do? Just fill out an application and be admitted to a BCS conf.?
Apparently, it's that simple, but fans like myself help keep beating BYU down with lowered expectations, lack of vision and inadequate pocketbooks. If people like myself would just change our attitude, then BYU would have the self-confidence needed to rush into the awaiting arms of the Big12, PAC10 or whatever other gracious BCS host that is out there, somewhere.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:57 PM   #17
BYU71

Quote:
Apparently, it's that simple, but fans like myself help keep beating BYU down with lowered expectations, lack of vision and inadequate pocketbooks. If people like myself would just change our attitude, then BYU would have the self-confidence needed to rush into the awaiting arms of the Big12, PAC10 or whatever other gracious BCS host that is out there, somewhere.
I never said that. I just am saying if the BYU admin thought people who thought like you represented the majority of fans, they would think they could settle for mediocrity. However, I am happy to say they don't think fans like you represent the majority.

They fired Crowton didn't they.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:04 PM   #18
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I never said that. I just am saying if the BYU admin thought people who thought like you represented the majority of fans, they would think they could settle for mediocrity. However, I am happy to say they don't think fans like you represent the majority.

They fired Crowton didn't they.
Given BYU's savvy marketing department, I doubt they have a clue what the majority of fans think. Besides, the whole point of this thread was Mike's bitching about how crappy the MWC is.

Well, I've got news for you Bubba, BYU can't fix the problems of the MWC.

Fans pumping in an extra $5M a year into the BYU athletic department coffers won't do a damn thing towards making SDSU a viable football program or be able to get more than 15,000 fans into a bowl-eligible Wyoming stadium or get UNLV to cheat as good as Tarkanian did with their basketball program 20 years ago to become a competitive team.

If you want to place the blame on me for the MWC sucking, then be my guest.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:12 PM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Given BYU's savvy marketing department, I doubt they have a clue what the majority of fans think. Besides, the whole point of this thread was Mike's bitching about how crappy the MWC is.

Fans pumping in an extra $5M a year into the BYU athletic department coffers won't do a damn thing towards making SDSU a viable football program or be able to get more than 15,000 fans into a bowl-eligible Wyoming stadium or get UNLV to cheat as good as Tarkanian did with their basketball program 20 years ago to become a competitive team.

they can leave the MWC. that's what they can do.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:14 PM   #20
BYU71

Quote:

You rode to the rescue to refute Mike and then take a shot at me. What is your problem with Mike bitching about how crappy the MWC is. What is your problem with not wanting to schedule EWU's.

Why don't you just stick to arguing against someone's points and try not to expand it into the person is attacking BYU. I don't know how it works in your world, but in mine if everyone becomes satisfied and isn't asking for more, the situation regresses.

I have said countless times recently that I think the BYU admin. is doing a great job now. I don't see any EWU's on the future schedule and I think I have every right to express my feeling I don't want to see any in the future either.