cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Are the look-a-like posts on CB racist?
Yes 8 26.67%
No 22 73.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-31-2007, 02:34 PM   #31
dallas dan

dallas dan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
Just wondering what you guys think.
Chill out dude. There are a lot of look alike jokes about the white guys too. CB got the idea from the TCU board last year. The TCU board does it for every game.

Personally, I think it is one of the more entertaining things on Cougarboard.

It cracks me up how a lot of posts on cougarguard have this feeling of superiority over those at cougarboard. While I like this board better because I don't have to worry about getting banned. I don't think any of posts are more intelligent than those opinions expressed over there.
dallas dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 03:31 PM   #32
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Our nation killed many and enslaved so many more of these people and then proceeded to treat them like crap for another century. Perpetuating racist caricatures is harmful, and I think we Mormons ought to go above and beyond in avoiding this kind of crap. We ought to be the greatest advocates against even the appearance of racism.
Sooner is the poster boy for White Guilt.

Wow.

There is no racism here. You're overreacting and whether this overreaction is a troll or you really feel that way... it's sad.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 03:35 PM   #33
nikuman

nikuman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Sooner is absolutely correct. Even the term "Buckwheat" is considered to be a racial slur by many. Google it if you don't believe us.
I don't doubt you, but I also don't think it's as well-known as some may think. They didn't teach "Racial Slurs 101" in HS where I was at.
nikuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 03:36 PM   #34
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikuman View Post
I don't doubt you, but I also don't think it's as well-known as some may think. They didn't teach "Racial Slurs 101" in HS where I was at.
Weren't you homeschooled? Or was that somebody else?
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 03:43 PM   #35
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
FWIW, I enjoy the look-alike threads. We just need to be careful.
Old 08-31-2007, 03:46 PM   #36
nikuman

nikuman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Weren't you homeschooled? Or was that somebody else?
Only until HS. Although that may explain some things - my mom both thought "asinine" was a bad word because of the initial phoneme and failed to realize that saying somebody had "pulled a boner" was probably not the best expression for a 40-something woman to be using around small children until we informed her otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
FWIW, I enjoy the look-alike threads. We just need to be careful.
Fair enough. My only point is that I'm not always sure what we're suppose to be careful of. That whole omniscient thing is still pending.
nikuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 03:50 PM   #37
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Fair enough. My only point is that I'm not always sure what we're suppose to be careful of. That whole omniscient thing is still pending.
I think you're covered with this:

Quote:
In poor taste? Maybe, but we didn't know that at the time, did we? A simple "hey, did you know X" would have been enough for me to take it down.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 04:05 PM   #38
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallas dan View Post
Chill out dude. There are a lot of look alike jokes about the white guys too. CB got the idea from the TCU board last year. The TCU board does it for every game.

Personally, I think it is one of the more entertaining things on Cougarboard.

It cracks me up how a lot of posts on cougarguard have this feeling of superiority over those at cougarboard. While I like this board better because I don't have to worry about getting banned. I don't think any of posts are more intelligent than those opinions expressed over there.
The TCU boards BYU look alike thread last year was classic. I crack up everytime I think of John Beck as banjo boy from Deliverance.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 05:47 PM   #39
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Because they spent most of the time focused on the finer points of English usage where you were at?

I'm with Nikumono, I wasn't aware Buckwheat was such a divisive character, but I guess I can see why. I get the Al Jolsen thing, but Buckwheat? Is it really such a lightning rod? So, the ward within which I was raised was racist by showing all those Lil Rascals movies at Christmas Parties?

I generally agree with most of what OK Sooner is saying, but it does seem like there is something new everyday that offends people. Should I stop buying Aunt Jemimah products?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 05:53 PM   #40
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post

I generally agree with most of what OK Sooner is saying, but it does seem like there is something new everyday that offends people. Should I stop buying Aunt Jemimah products?
I'm sure Sooner is willing to send you a list of things you might do/say/buy/think that are offensive. Just ask.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote