cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-17-2008, 11:24 PM   #1
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road
Default I started working out for the first time

in December. Let me clarify, I've been a competitive athlete most of my life in a variety of sports (so I've kept in pretty good shape and established some basic muscle tone) but I've never gone to a gym or lifted weights until December. I decided that, since I'm getting older, I need to do something different to stay competitive in my current sport of choice.

The guy I work out with has me doing a single muscle group a day, 5 days a week. We do chest on Monday, back on Tuesday, legs on Wednesday, shoulders on Thursday, and arms on Friday. What are some things I should look out for or be concerned about? Also, I have some muscle groups that are dramatically stronger than others, does this cause some concerns that I should be aware of?

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:52 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

if you strengthen your quads and not your hammies, that can lead to big problems. balance in all things.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 11:55 PM   #3
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
if you strengthen your quads and not your hammies, that can lead to big problems. balance in all things.
I always burn out my hammies before I do my quads. It allows me to isolate them better.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 05:40 PM   #4
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

That is a traditional bodybuilding program to do one body part a day; so I would imagine you are doing a pretty solid program. It sounds like it is working well for you so I wouldn't change a thing as long as you are moving up, getting stronger, and enjoying the workout. In the long run you might want to consider programs that incorporate lifts that are targeted to improve performance in the sports you like to play. In the short run that is probably not much of an issue because just getting stronger overall should be quite beneficial.

Last edited by pelagius; 01-18-2008 at 05:44 PM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote