cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2006, 03:48 PM   #1
El Guapo

El Guapo is on a distinguished road
Default We should invade North Korea

At least, we should according to Michael Savage.

I was listening to the Savage Nation last night, and he was pushing hard for the US to lob missiles into NK while the world is "distracted" with everything going on with Israel. At the same time, he wanted Israel to lob missiles into Iran to take out anything dealing with nuclear activity.

Is he an idiot? In his words, he said that those actions would "fix everything." Where does he get that from?

Here is what happens if we attack North Korea: 1. they will immediately invade S. Korea. 2. Our 30,000 troops stationed on the N. korea border will be caught in the middle of the fight; many of them will die. 3. There is NO WAY we can stop an advancing N. Korean army from reaching Seoul in a matter of days. We will then be in a protracted war with N. Korea to recover S. Korean territory and institute regime change. 4. Assuming we can beat the N. Koreans and remove Jong-Il, we will then find ourselves rebuilding two countries simultaneously (when we aren't exactly finding smashing success doing only one at a time). 5. We will have lost ALL credibility with foreign powers as well as the moral high ground on future issues.

By the way, the above analysis doesn't even involve what would occur when (not if) N. Korea lobbed missiles into Japan. China would also be a huge wild card, as would Russia. If you think they would be willing to sit by and allow the US to build a pro-US regime in N.K you are insane. Would China attack Taiwan in the middle of the chaos? Would Russia and China funnel weapons to N. Korea? Would they engage in open hostilities against the US or S. Korea? Would the attack on Japan prompt a renewed Japanese effort to militarize?

Seriously, this is the WORST idea I have heard on radio in who knows how long.

I haven't even begun on what happens if Iran gets pulled into this conflict with Israel (which Savage thought should happen concurrently with a N.K. conflict).

The world is a powder keg at the moment. We need astute diplomacy to keep someone from lighting the fateful match, not cowboy politics.

Last edited by El Guapo; 07-15-2006 at 03:50 PM.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 05:52 PM   #2
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

I hope that North Korea never decides to invade. They have an army of over 1 million and we would be hopelessly out manned. In that scenario, I think we would have absolutely no choice but to unleash tactical nukes all along the DMZ because I see no way we would simply abandon South Korea.

I can't think of any other way to hold the North Koreans back.
Old 07-15-2006, 05:56 PM   #3
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan
I hope that North Korea never decides to invade. They have an army of over 1 million and we would be hopelessly out manned. In that scenario, I think we would have absolutely no choice but to unleash tactical nukes all along the DMZ because I see no way we would simply abandon South Korea.

This may sound overly arrogant, but their technology is shit. Yes it would be a hard fought stuggle with North Korea, but we can beat them without nukes.

The question is China. If China jumps in and backs North Korea, then it is going to be really nasty business.

I am not in favor of a pre-emptive strike against North Korea.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 06:02 PM   #4
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Guapo
At least, we should according to Michael Savage.
Wait, you mean there was a ridiculously bad idea put forth on talk radio? No way!

Did he mention China in his grand scheme?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 06:09 PM   #5
El Guapo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue
Wait, you mean there was a ridiculously bad idea put forth on talk radio? No way!

Did he mention China in his grand scheme?
Why would he mention China? That would overcomplicate things.

His belief was that you establish firm lines, and when a country crosses those lines you immediately bomb them. He thinks NK and Iran have both crossed those lines, so bombing is good. By bombing them, he then believes that everyone will realize you don't go too far or the US will strike, so everyone will behave.

I tend to think that is one of the dumbest comments ever uttered on talk radio.

What was scary was hearing how many callers (100% of them) STRONGLY agreed with him.
Old 07-15-2006, 06:33 PM   #6
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
What was scary was hearing how many callers (100% of them) STRONGLY agreed with him.
I wonder what percentage of those people have children who are of a draftable age or will be in the next few years.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 07:35 PM   #7
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Is that what Macarthur wanted to do?
Old 07-15-2006, 07:50 PM   #8
El Guapo

Quote:

I would take issue with your "have no choice" language. We do have a choice- DON'T bomb North Korea. Because if that occurs, then we really are screwed and involved in another Asian war with no support at home (and even less support abroad).

Imagine if we preemptively bombed N Korea and then dropped nukes to prevent their retaliation (with radiation floating into China, Russia, Japan, South Korea, Mongolia, and who knows where else- maybe even LA). We would deserve all the contempt directed towards us at that point.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:36 PM   #9
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I would take issue with your "have no choice" language. We do have a choice- DON'T bomb North Korea. Because if that occurs, then we really are screwed and involved in another Asian war with no support at home (and even less support abroad).

Imagine if we preemptively bombed N Korea and then dropped nukes to prevent their retaliation (with radiation floating into China, Russia, Japan, South Korea, Mongolia, and who knows where else- maybe even LA). We would deserve all the contempt directed towards us at that point.
I'm contemplating a scenario where you have 50 divisions crossing the DMZ. If that happens, do we abandon South Korea? Maybe we do, but if we don't then what do we do to hold them back?

Again, not the big bombs and not on poplations centers, but battle field tactical nukes on an invading military force.

As an aside, I don't care particularly care what the world thinks because Russia and China a self interested to the point of being caricatures and no one in Europe has provided for its own security for generations. What I care about is keeping us safe. I'm not saying that what I forcast might happen will do that or even that I advocate it, just that I don't care what the rest of the hypocrital world thinks.
Old 07-15-2006, 10:44 PM   #10
El Guapo

Quote:
I'm contemplating a scenario where you have 50 divisions crossing the DMZ. If that happens, do we abandon South Korea? Maybe we do, but if we don't then what do we do to hold them back?

Again, not the big bombs and not on poplations centers, but battle field tactical nukes on an invading military force.

As an aside, I don't care particularly care what the world thinks because Russia and China a self interested to the point of being caricatures and no one in Europe has provided for its own security for generations. What I care about is keeping us safe. I'm not saying that what I forcast might happen will do that or even that I advocate it, just that I don't care what the rest of the hypocrital world thinks.

Sounds like you are a bit of an isolationist. I don't think nuclear weapons are a viable option. I agree we would be presented with a VERY difficult choice if N Korea tried to invade S Korea. But that is exactly why we shouldn't bomb N Korea- it forces us into making an impossible choice- allow S Korea to fall and fight to recapture it or nuke the border with all its horrible consequences.

Isn't the answer to not bomb N Korea in the first place?

As far as the rest of the world goes, I think we need to be careful about disregarding their opinions. We are part of a global community today. Our success is very much tied to theirs and vice versa. Too much contempt for the US throughout the world will only create serious problems for the US (reducing our safety and ability to act in our best interest).