cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would you ever report someone to the Honor Code office for a violation?
Yes 4 12.50%
No 28 87.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2007, 08:23 PM   #11
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
FWIW, I went to BYU, I have numerous family and other close ones that attended BYU. I've lived in Provo my entire adult life. I hire BYU interns. I have close friends and family who are currently employed at BYU. I'm pretty connected to BYU.

I've never once heard a first hand or second hand story of someone who was ratted out to the HCO for something. I've only heard those stories on message boards. For that reason, I feel a lot of this is blown out of proportion.
I was on the Honor Code Council for 2 years. It happened quite often. In fact, we were encouraged by the administration to make reports ourselves (I never did and never even considered it). We had one guy who used to brag about the reports he made himself (which were at least weekly).

I know of a BYUSA candidate who was reported (and I believe forced to withdraw) for having hair that went over his collar. Ty Detmer was reported for saying the "S-word" during a football game, which was caught by the microphone. There were frequent hearings (which my sister, who was secretary for the Honor Code Council), was a part of.

At least while I was there, reports were common.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:25 PM   #12
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
FWIW, I went to BYU, I have numerous family and other close ones that attended BYU. I've lived in Provo my entire adult life. I hire BYU interns. I have close friends and family who are currently employed at BYU. I'm pretty connected to BYU.

I've never once heard a first hand or second hand story of someone who was ratted out to the HCO for something. I've only heard those stories on message boards. For that reason, I feel a lot of this is blown out of proportion.
I'm a student at BYU and I know of only one case where a friend was reported to the Honor Code. He had stayed and talked with a friend of his in her apartment during a particularly difficult time in her life past midnight. She reported him a few months later. He was put on probation and had to do jump through a few hoops in order to graduate. It was dumb.

Other than that, I've never ran into the Honor Code. I frankly think it is overblown, and somewhat archaic in its implementation and enforcement. Were I given a pen and free reign to make changes to the Honor Code itself, however, I don't know that I would.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:27 PM   #13
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:

Well, if you like we can meet and I can repeat the above stories I related to you in person. I can also give you the names of the other people involved in the first incident. 2 of which were BYU football players at the time.

I don't think it happens all the time. But it happened to me twice in the 4 1/2 years I attended BYU. I don't think it happens that much with Bishops, mostly with other students. In fact, in another incident where my roommates were indicted on drug charges and arrested our Bishop who was also BYU's Treasurer went to bat for my one roommate and kept him from getting the boot. I think most of the ecclesiastical leaders there get it. But there are a few for every several great ones that have mullah tendencies.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:28 PM   #14
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I had an EQ Pres in my ward after I first got home from my mission who would walk around at midnight and make sure there was nobody in opposite sex' apartments. WAY over the line, IMO. I hated it.

Then again, at my next ward we occasionally had movie nights where we would stay up and match movies all night long, co-ed, with members of the EQ presidency. I enjoyed my time in one ward, hated it in the other.

I also had a roommate be accused of cheating on a Religion test at BYU, who was then turned into the HCO. It became his word against those in the testing center, and he was put on probation for it, given an F for the semester in the class and it really jacked up his chances to get into Dental School. Because somebody thought that he was cheating... on a Religion test. That is my issue with it, when it becomes your word against somebody elses, especially on something subjective like cheating on a test. How do you prove it? Especially in the testing center, when there are so many people taking different tests, he didn't even know the guy sitting in front of him was taking the same test he was. It was a joke.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:30 PM   #15
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
Well, if you like we can meet and I can repeat the above stories I related to you in person. I can also give you the names of the other people involved in the first incident. 2 of which were BYU football players at the time.

I don't think it happens all the time. But it happened to me twice in the 4 1/2 years I attended BYU. I don't think it happens that much with Bishops, mostly with other students. In fact, in another incident where my roommates were indicted on drug charges and arrested our Bishop who was also BYU's Treasurer went to bat for my one roommate and kept him from getting the boot. I think most of the ecclesiastical leaders there get it. But there are a few for every several great ones that have mullah tendencies.
I don't doubt that it happened to you. My point is that I have a reasonable sample size to draw from without a single occurance. So if I do hear anecodotal events like yours, I attribute it as an outlier. I just don't think it happens too often. If it happens at all though, it's a problem.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:32 PM   #16
Surfah
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post

I also had a roommate be accused of cheating on a Religion test at BYU, who was then turned into the HCO. It became his word against those in the testing center, and he was put on probation for it, given an F for the semester in the class and it really jacked up his chances to get into Dental School. Because somebody thought that he was cheating... on a Religion test. That is my issue with it, when it becomes your word against somebody elses, especially on something subjective like cheating on a test. How do you prove it? Especially in the testing center, when there are so many people taking different tests, he didn't even know the guy sitting in front of him was taking the same test he was. It was a joke.
That's my entire contention with the Honor Code. It's not on your honor. The fact that anyone can make an anonymous call and you be asked to defend yourself without the accuser having to make his/her case is ridiculous.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:37 PM   #17
Surfah
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
I was on the Honor Code Council for 2 years. It happened quite often. In fact, we were encouraged by the administration to make reports ourselves (I never did and never even considered it). We had one guy who used to brag about the reports he made himself (which were at least weekly).

I know of a BYUSA candidate who was reported (and I believe forced to withdraw) for having hair that went over his collar. Ty Detmer was reported for saying the "S-word" during a football game, which was caught by the microphone. There were frequent hearings (which my sister, who was secretary for the Honor Code Council), was a part of.

At least while I was there, reports were common.
One of the components of the HC itself is that you help others be compliant.

Although it says anonymous calls won't be acted upon and encourages the accuser to confront the person whose actions are in question prior to making a report that certainly didn't happen in my two altercations with the HC Office. In fact, that was something I brought up with the kid who reported us the first time. He sat there and listened to all of our tales, most of which were embellished I am sure as it was, and not once did he say he was uncomfortable and thought that our discussion was inappropriate. Our RA was present for that confrontation and it was a good thing because it almost came to blows as this kid just didn't get it.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:47 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
He cheated. I can just feel he did.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:50 PM   #19
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I often find myslef disinclined to vote but curious about the results. So I have to vote somewhat under protest to see the vote. Does else anyone ever feel this way?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:52 PM   #20
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I often find myslef disinclined to vote but curious about the results. So I have to vote somewhat under protest to see the vote. Does else anyone ever feel this way?
You can click on View Poll Results and see where things stand w/o voting.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote