cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2007, 07:56 PM   #11
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Too many shotgun-toting, intellectually-challenged, backwoods redneck evangelicals.
And I hate how judgmental they are too!!!
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:58 PM   #12
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
It is a sad day when someone moves to Corvallis to escape. You are getting close, just make the move to Portland, Oregon.
MP, I'm just happy we found a couple of things to agree on:
1. Texans
2. The state of Oregon

Jason (husband) wanted Portland, but you should SEE the cost-of-living difference between Oklahoma and Portland.

Plus, it's sunnier in Corvallis. And I'll get the chance to cheer for a football team with a small furry woodland creature as a mascot. Can't beat that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
And I hate how judgmental they are too!!!
EXACTL...wait a sec...you're mocking me aren't you. It's true. I'm a snob. I can't help it. Maybe you good people can help me.

Last edited by BarbaraGordon; 01-11-2007 at 08:01 PM.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:06 PM   #13
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Corvallis is nice. In fact the whole I-5 corridor through Oregon is liveable, as long as you don't mind the hippie, yuppy, tree-hugging type.

And I agree that the weather in Portland stinks. Throw Seattle and everything else in between the two in the mix as well. The area is beautiful, its just often hard to appreciate it through the fog and rain. Although, my experience is that its not really a true rain, like in the south or midwest. More of a constant drizzle for 6-9 months out of the year. Liquid Sunshine.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:10 PM   #14
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Plus, it's sunnier in Corvallis. And I'll get the chance to cheer for a football team with a small furry woodland creature as a mascot. Can't beat that.

That is weak! All along I thought you had potential to become a Cougar fan. Cougars are furry woodland creatures, except they live in the mountains and grow to be quite large.

As far as good places to live, I have enjoyed most places that I've lived. Ohio isn't a bad place, but in order to live here you have to have a high tolerance for empty factories and Buckeye fans. Both are depressing to observe.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:11 PM   #15
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
Reading about Noah's possible move to Memphis got me started thinking about all the places I could live. I can really see myself living anywhere but one of the main reasons why I live in Utah is BYU football. Let me explain:

I've lived in San Diego, Arizona, Salt Lake, and internationally (in Montreal when I was a small kid). I've travelled extensively internationally and throughout the U.S for both business and pleasure. I've generally enjoyed just about everywhere I've been. There are always interesting things to see, interesting people to meet. Things like climate and availability of outdoor activities and such are just what you make of it - every place has its advantages and disadvantages but nothing that really makes me favor one place over another. I could see myself living in rural places in the midwest. I could see myself living in urban areas like New York or Los Angeles. I could see myself living in the South or up in the cold midwest. Thus, one place is as good as the other - I could pretty much see myself living anywhere.

I've often contemplated moving out of Utah - just for some variety. I don't have any strong family ties that keep me here - my parents live in Hawaii, sister in Florida, sister in Texas, and brother in Oregon. I don't have any strong friendship ties that keep me here - I have friends everywhere and besides, I can always make new friends wherever I go (you'ld be surprised how many people I can befriend despite the fact that I'm a big fat meanie). I'm not worried about raising my children in one location over another - I believe that what actually goes on inside our home will have a much stronger impact on my kids than the town in which I raise them. I don't avoid moving simply because I "love my ward" or any silly thing like that.

I started thinking about why I live here in Utah, or rather, why living in Utah has any advantages over anywhere else. About the only advantage I could think of that I actually care about is that living in Utah allows me to attend BYU football games. Everything else is pretty much equal in my mind. Thus I don't live here solely because of BYU football; however, BYU football is a unique advantage that other places simply don't have. All other things being equal, BYU football is an advantage that tips the scales in Utah's favor. As long as I'm able to comfortably support my family and enjoy my work, I might as well stay in SLC - that way I can still attend BYU Football games. Of course, if someone wants to dangle a million dollars in front of me to get me to move, I would heartily accept.

So, what advantages does your current location have that keep you there? Alternatively, if you dislike your current location, what is preventing you from moving?
Are you a Sobrowski?
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:14 PM   #16
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
That is weak! All along I thought you had potential to become a Cougar fan. Cougars are furry woodland creatures, except they live in the mountains and grow to be quite large.

As far as good places to live, I have enjoyed most places that I've lived. Ohio isn't a bad place, but in order to live here you have to have a high tolerance for empty factories and Buckeye fans. Both are depressing to observe.
I'm very happy in Southern Ontario. We do live too far (45 min) from Toronto and in a GM town but drive 20 minutes north and you are in cottage country -hundreds of lakes with cute little cottages, rolling hills and green as far as the eye can see!

Last edited by tooblue; 01-11-2007 at 08:16 PM.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:17 PM   #17
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Clearly not one of you has ever been to Rockland, Idaho.

Once you see SouthCentral Power County you will not leave.

There is something special about living in a town where the butcher shop comes to you every October, and all the womenfolk know mossy oak is the sexiest of sexy mens clothes.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:22 PM   #18
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

If you tell me my income, I'll tell you where I'd like to live.

Given high enough income, I could live anywhere.

Given modest income, I'd change my choices.

Given no income, I'd choose Hawaii.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:38 PM   #19
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
Are you a Sobrowski?
Nope. Never heard of him/them.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:08 PM   #20
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Clearly not one of you has ever been to Rockland, Idaho.

Once you see SouthCentral Power County you will not leave.

There is something special about living in a town where the butcher shop comes to you every October, and all the womenfolk know mossy oak is the sexiest of sexy mens clothes.
Living in Rockland, Idaho would be worse than living in Texas.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote