cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2008, 01:38 AM   #1
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road
Default Tramps

We're spending Xmas in Utah this year so I was thinking it would be nice to just do a family gift before we go instead of hauling a bunch of crap back and forth and paying extra to check all that luggage. I know the kids would love a trampoline. I'd like it because it would be something they could do outside and get exercise, but I am concerned about how dangerous they are, as well as the liability of someone else's kid getting seriously injured at our house. Am I being overly-cautious?

I've also thought about a playground set, but I think my son would be pissed as he thinks he is too old for playgrounds.

Anyway, you all are a bunch of lawyers and dads. What is your opinion on trampolines?

(Alternate gift ideas that would appeal to a 3-year-old girl and a 7-year-old boy are welcomed as well.)
Old 11-03-2008, 01:40 AM   #2
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
We're spending Xmas in Utah this year so I was thinking it would be nice to just do a family gift before we go instead of hauling a bunch of crap back and forth and paying extra to check all that luggage. I know the kids would love a trampoline. I'd like it because it would be something they could do outside and get exercise, but I am concerned about how dangerous they are, as well as the liability of someone else's kid getting seriously injured at our house. Am I being overly-cautious?

I've also thought about a playground set, but I think my son would be pissed as he thinks he is too old for playgrounds.

Anyway, you all are a bunch of lawyers and dads. What is your opinion on trampolines?

(Alternate gift ideas that would appeal to a 3-year-old girl and a 7-year-old boy are welcomed as well.)
Aw, man. I was really hoping this post was going to include gypsies and thieves, too.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:42 AM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post

Talk to your homeowner's insurance about them to determine how much it will increase them.

Then talk to ER physicians and determine if you still want one.

The safest ones I've seen are built into the ground with protections around the perimeter.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:44 AM   #4
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
The safest ones I've seen are built into the ground with protections around the perimeter.
If you have a cage around it, what is the point of burying it in the ground?
Old 11-03-2008, 01:49 AM   #5
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
If you have a cage around it, what is the point of burying it in the ground?
stability. a cage is okay as well I suppose.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:49 AM   #6
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
stability. a cage is okay as well I suppose.
Stability? How does that make it more stable?
Old 11-03-2008, 01:52 AM   #7
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Stability? How does that make it more stable?
I'm not an engineer, but the imbedding in the ground makes it appear more stable to me, a non-engineer, plus you're not as high off the ground if you don't have a cage.

The frame is in the ground as opposed to potentially toppling over.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:53 AM   #8
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

That's a tough call. Our kids thoroughly enjoyed our tramp. I definitely recommend a cage; and be sure to get a sturdy one. And make sure you have a nice thick pad for the springs and bar. But even with a good pad and cage, you will face some risk.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:55 AM   #9
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Trampolines are awesome. Get one with a net surrounding and you should be fine. Make sure the parents of any trampoline jumper are aware, some families require written permission to jump.

More importantly, what are the best trampoline games? Crack the egg is always a fun one for kids. My daughter cracks at the slightest movement, so I have her lie flat after cracking while I lightly bounce the tramp and she flops around like bacon. I call that one Fry the Bacon. Any other playground game is enhanced by the trampoline; Duck Duck Goose, Ring Around the Rosie, Smear the Librarian, Tag, etc.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:56 AM   #10
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
I'm not an engineer, but the imbedding in the ground makes it appear more stable to me, a non-engineer, plus you're not as high off the ground if you don't have a cage.

The frame is in the ground as opposed to potentially toppling over.
It has nothing to do with stability. The whole point of burying them is so that if you fall off, you are closer to the ground. With the cage, you won't fall off. The problem with burying them is you end up with a damp hole in your yard, unless you go extreme and put in some kind of drainage system. Buried tramps are more aesthetic, I suppose.

I saw a program on TV indicating that 80% of tramp injuries are from falling off.