cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2008, 04:10 PM   #21
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Chess players don't deserve their reputation as sickly nerds. When a 250 lb. muslce-bound dude comes looking for you after a game, or you see someone so ticked about losing that he swings the coffee pot, you'll see them in a different light.

The gamesmanship can be entertaining, though. There's nothing like somebody wearing stripes with plaid and mismatched socks as a distraction. And then there is the female chess vamp who trots out a little faux seduction.
If people think that all chess players are nerds, they should go to Washington Square park in NYC in the summer (right by NYU).....and sit down for a game.....there are hustlers, gamblers, kids, homeless people, businessmen, college students.....all kinds of folks playing speed, tournament, you name it. I was destroyed in a match of speed chess, but I wanted to give it a whirl just to say I played in Washington Square park.

Lots of fun.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:53 PM   #22
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I quit playing chess about 6 years ago when a kid on my boy's baseball team kicked my ass. He was 8 years old and had finished something like 20th in a national tournament for his age group. I knew I was in trouble when he made the first move and I made my move and he asked me "Why would you do that?"

I got back at him though. He played the minimum number of innings required and not one single one more for the rest of the season that year.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 09:56 PM   #23
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
If people think that all chess players are nerds, they should go to Washington Square park in NYC in the summer (right by NYU).....and sit down for a game.....there are hustlers, gamblers, kids, homeless people, businessmen, college students.....all kinds of folks playing speed, tournament, you name it. I was destroyed in a match of speed chess, but I wanted to give it a whirl just to say I played in Washington Square park.

Lots of fun.
I've seen those folks playing chess in Washington Square a few times. I never played, though I was challenged by a guy about my age. He looked as if he would mug me as soon as I sat down, so I passed.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:03 PM   #24
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

The kid who knew chess the best in the troop--he knew a lot of the lingo I didn't know, but not anywhere near what SIEQ is talking about.

It was fun when I would do things like take his queen cause he overlooked a move.

And after I would win, I would dance around like crazy.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 10:04 PM   #25
MikeWaters
Demiurge

We should have an online chess game here on CG.

You post your move.

Like SEIQ against someone else. And the rest of us can follow along.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:35 PM   #26
bigpiney

bigpiney
Send a message via AIM to bigpiney

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I like chess boxing. More interesting.
I prefer foxy boxing, but to each his own.

Plus I suck at chess
bigpiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 12:08 PM   #27
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
We should have an online chess game here on CG.

You post your move.

Like SEIQ against someone else. And the rest of us can follow along.
I am always up for a game. If no one is enthusiastic about playing me, I could annotate a game between others and then post my annotations after the game.

If multiple people are interested, we could do a round robin.

I could post the details of chess notation too, as it can be a bit confusing at first.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:57 PM   #28
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Chess in the U.S. has a problem. Chess is more popular almost everywhere else (In Germany they even show the national tournament and major international tournaments on TV). The highest ranked U.S. player--Gata Kamsky, an immigrant from the U.S.S.R.--is ranked 17th in the world, behind a slew of Russians, Ukranians, Bulgarians, Western Euros and players from Black Sea and Baltic states. The top player in the world, ratings wise, is Anand, who is Indian.

Chess is most popular in the U.S. in New England and the mid-Atlantic states. New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania have chess clubs everywhere. Maryland and Mass have plenty of chess going too. Florida has a decent chess scene, in no small part due to Cuban immigrants. In the west, California and Nevada (specifically Las Vegas) have a pretty healthy chess scene. Chess has a solid collegiate presence in Texas, but not much more than that.

Many of the top U.S. players are immigrants or the children of immigrants: Hikaru Nakamura, the second best American player behind Kamsky (Nakamura is ranked #31), has always been a U.S. citizen (because his mother was), but his father was a Japanese citizen. Alexander Onischuck, the 3rd best U.S. player, is an immigrant from Ukraine. The 4th best U.S. player, Yasser Seirawan (#96), is also an immigrant whose parents were Syrian and British.

You get the idea.

It's also true that many of the top players in the world and the U.S. are and have been Jewish. Fisher's mom was Jewish (even though Fisher went paranoid and rabidly anti-Jewish in his later years). Kasparov is Jewish. Former World Champions Botvinik, Lasker, and Spassky are Jewish. The reigning Women's Champion, Judit Polgar, is a Hungarian Jew. The list of Jewish standouts in Chess is very, very long. Even Israel, with it's comparatively small population, has produced Boris Gelfand, who is ranked #18 in the world.

There are also quite a few world class Arab, Persian, and Islamic chess players. Azerbaijan has two players in the top ten.

Chess just doesn't quite match with Norman Rockwell's America, and that's too bad.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:59 PM   #29
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Chess in the U.S. has a problem. Chess is more popular almost everywhere else (In Germany they even show the national tournament and major international tournaments on TV). The highest ranked U.S. player--Gata Kamsky, an immigrant from the U.S.S.R.--is ranked 17th in the world, behind a slew of Russians, Ukranians, Bulgarians, Western Euros and players from Black Sea and Baltic states. The top player in the world, ratings wise, is Anand, who is Indian.

Chess is most popular in the U.S. in New England and the mid-Atlantic states. New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania have chess clubs everywhere. Maryland and Mass have plenty of chess going too. Florida has a decent chess scene, in no small part due to Cuban immigrants. In the west, California and Nevada (specifically Las Vegas) have a pretty healthy chess scene. Chess has a solid collegiate presence in Texas, but not much more than that.

Many of the top U.S. players are immigrants or the children of immigrants: Hikaru Nakamura, the second best American player behind Kamsky (Nakamura is ranked #31), has always been a U.S. citizen (because his mother was), but his father was a Japanese citizen. Alexander Onischuck, the 3rd best U.S. player, is an immigrant from Ukraine. The 4th best U.S. player, Yasser Seirawan (#96), is also an immigrant whose parents were Syrian and British.

You get the idea.

It's also true that many of the top players in the world and the U.S. are and have been Jewish. Fisher's mom was Jewish (even though Fisher went paranoid and rabidly anti-Jewish in his later years). Kasparov is Jewish. Former World Champions Botvinik, Lasker, and Spassky are Jewish. The reigning Women's Champion, Judit Polgar, is a Hungarian Jew. The list of Jewish standouts in Chess is very, very long. Even Israel, with it's comparatively small population, has produced Boris Gelfand, who is ranked #18 in the world.

There are also quite a few world class Arab, Persian, and Islamic chess players. Azerbaijan has two players in the top ten.

Chess just doesn't quite match with Norman Rockwell's America, and that's too bad.
Who cares about chess. I bet the top 10 Risk players in the world are all American.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:01 PM   #30
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Here's a problem with chess: Americans don't want to read books on how to play a game. They just want to play it.

My wife doesn't know how to play chess. As in she doesn't even know how the pieces move.