cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2008, 02:53 PM   #11
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
you can't beat Chessmaster?
On the highest level, it's rated around 2700 (some of that might be marketing, but the rating is probably close). I can't beat it. I practice with Fritz 8, but when I'm playing a person I wan't to be playing a person!
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:55 PM   #12
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
I'll play the Italian game now and then. I used to play it more. Once in a while I still yen for the Fried Liver Attack.

You're right about the center-counter game. I know of one line that is playable (Vishi Anand played it some years ago), but anyone who isn't at least master level has no business messing with it. After white threatens black's queen, black should retreat the queen to d8. Black can then work to make good use of the d-file, but it's tough going.

I don't play online much. There are too many cheaters out there who have their Fritz or Chessmaster program running on another tab or right next to them, or who have their books open. Blitz games aren't so bad for that, but then I like more time to play.
I hate that, you're playing someone and it's close maybe you have a little advantage, they're making mistakes and so are you but it's a good game. Then all of a sudden they start playing like a computer and kick your ass.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:13 PM   #13
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I hate that, you're playing someone and it's close maybe you have a little advantage, they're making mistakes and so are you but it's a good game. Then all of a sudden they start playing like a computer and kick your ass.
Exactly.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

Old 07-21-2008, 03:38 PM   #14
Sleeping in EQ

Chess players don't deserve their reputation as sickly nerds. When a 250 lb. muslce-bound dude comes looking for you after a game, or you see someone so ticked about losing that he swings the coffee pot, you'll see them in a different light.

The gamesmanship can be entertaining, though. There's nothing like somebody wearing stripes with plaid and mismatched socks as a distraction. And then there is the female chess vamp who trots out a little faux seduction.

Old 07-21-2008, 03:58 PM   #15
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
I haven't played in one in a few years, but now that an active chess club is practically in my backyard....

Does anyone else play chess?

A tournament at the end of August will be a swiss pairings game-in-60, so there's time to play closed openings.

As white, I like the lines in the Ruy Lopez. I'll play a King's Gambit if the mood strikes me. As black, I like to play the French against king pawn and the Benoni against queen pawn. I steer English and offbeat openings into either the French or QGD. I'll also sometimes play the Petroff, the Sicilian, and the Queen's Gambit Declined.

My taste probably frustrates some opponents. Tournament players who play king pawn often like aggressive, tactical play. The French is a cramped, but rock-solid defense that punishes aggressive play. Those who like careful, positional play often go queen pawn. The Benoni is a swindling, swashbuckling opening that few are prepared for.
I like to play, but I really only enjoy games with a clock. 5 minutes per player is about the maximum.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:59 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I like chess boxing. More interesting.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 03:59 PM   #17
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
On the highest level, it's rated around 2700 (some of that might be marketing, but the rating is probably close). I can't beat it. I practice with Fritz 8, but when I'm playing a person I wan't to be playing a person!
There aren't many people alive who can beat Chessmaster at its highest level. In another few versions, that number will go down to 0.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:02 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

How many are we talking about?

10?

100?

1000?

10,000?

100,000?

If it takes a supercomputer to beat a grand master, shouldn't there be a lot of people who could beat a Pentium 4?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 04:05 PM   #19
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Now it's been decades since I've studied or played, so I've forgotten all but the most basic elements, but chess eventually becomes predictable. SEIQ demonstrates that through his discussion of strategies. After you've studied enough variations, the routine becomes predictable.

Sometimes however, when I played, it was more fun to disregard classical variation and just freelance.
Old 07-21-2008, 04:10 PM   #20
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Now it's been decades since I've studied or played, so I've forgotten all but the most basic elements, but chess eventually becomes predictable. SEIQ demonstrates that through his discussion of strategies. After you've studied enough variations, the routine becomes predictable.

Sometimes however, when I played, it was more fun to disregard classical variation and just freelance.
Fisher's idea to "save" chess has merit. He proposed to randomize the placement of the pieces along the back rank (bishops would still have to be opposite colors). This would get players beyond all of the opening theory and would put computers in check too (their power is not only in their ability to calculate, but in the fact that they have databases of thousands of the best games).