cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2008, 02:16 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default BYU message board history

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=3590266

I started on Cougar-Net circa 1996-1997. Bob McKeen's lame travel logs, John Haddow started his money and name dropping arrogance, etc. There was a skinny back up tight end from Oregon who everyone hyped up because his mom was a member of the board. Docnelly and Yllencod livened things up for a while.

I posted on cougartalk for a while under a few different names. I remember Archaea, UtahDan, Belboz, third counselor (Norm Chow relative?) from that.

I posted on the original free cougarblue, then pay site cougarblueii. I gave career advice to GMAN and then he turned on me because I became anti-Crowton.

I got on cougarboard around 2001 and used a few different usernames there (never at the same time). I had some good wars with PAP under a different moniker, but he's smartened up a little since then.

I tried out cougarfan.com for a while and the new cougarblue for a while until settling here. Thanks, Mike, for a good board.

I have a little bit of Tex paranoia in me, so I've never gotten comfortable with the sociality of the message boards and so I changed my moniker quite a bit for a while.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:37 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

If this is like evolution, then CG is like your own planet with celestial sex (thanks Ed Decker for the analogy).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember back in the day (whatever that means) when, if you forgot your login information, you could just create a new one with a new email address. None of this IP checking etc...

I posted as Dan Howard for a while when CB members were critical of him. That was a good time.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:43 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

My first message board was the ESPN board back in 2001. There were probably five people there. I railed against some aspects of BYU sports, and someone told me, Dude, there are other places to talk about this stuff. I had no idea that there were independent BYU message boards. So I found cb, and the rest is history.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:47 PM   #5
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=3590266

I started on Cougar-Net circa 1996-1997. Bob McKeen's lame travel logs, John Haddow started his money and name dropping arrogance, etc. There was a skinny back up tight end from Oregon who everyone hyped up because his mom was a member of the board. Docnelly and Yllencod livened things up for a while.
I used to subscribe to Cougar-Net back then. I almost never posted though. It seems like there were a few good stat geeks back then too: (Chris Grant?, Robert Terry?). My uncle posted a fair amount on Cougar-Net. I think he still does.

Last edited by pelagius; 03-19-2008 at 02:52 PM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:52 PM   #6
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

The first board I posted on was cougarblue.com in about 2000-01 prior to the creation of cougarblue2. I used to rip Travis Hansen all the time and became hated by BYU fans in a short time, but I enjoyed it.

Shortly after that, I moved to Seattle and didn't participate in any BYU message boards as I was fairly active on a Jazz board. That board has since been overrun by morons/teenagers which is why I moved to CB and part time/irrelevant status on CG.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:55 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
The first board I posted on was cougarblue.com in about 2000-01 prior to the creation of cougarblue2. I used to rip Travis Hansen all the time and became hated by BYU fans in a short time, but I enjoyed it.

Shortly after that, I moved to Seattle and didn't participate in any BYU message boards as I was fairly active on a Jazz board. That board has since been overrun by morons/teenagers which is why I moved to CB and part time/irrelevant status on CG.
cb is a harbor from immature morons? that doesn't speak well for the jazz site.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:02 PM   #8
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
cb is a harbor from immature morons? that doesn't speak well for the jazz site.
no, it certainly doesn't.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:18 PM   #9
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

I think cougarfan used to be a real good overlooked site. I posted there starting in 2001, I think. Maybe earlier, but not much. There were a good number of smart people there. By 2004 or so, it was a lot worse.

I never even looked at CB until about a year ago, and I still have less than 100 posts.

I've been on here since last July, and I'm not sure how CG would survive without my 1.19 posts per day (2 so far today, though, I'm picking it up).

I use different names on every site due to acute paranoia.

I'm not much of a board all-star.

I also used to post to alt.sports.baseball.chicago-cubs in the 90s, so I am a true old timer.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 03:22 PM   #10
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I have a little bit of Tex paranoia in me, so I've never gotten comfortable with the sociality of the message boards and so I changed my moniker quite a bit for a while.
CB and CG are the only place I use the same name, and that was just so those in exile here would know who I was.

By the way, I love this celebrity status I'm getting. Everyone's saying "Tex" this and "Tex" that. I guess I join the list of those that can go by one name only: Bono, Cher, Madonna ....

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote